Ok, now my desktop won't boot to XP!

Arkan

I can get into safe mode, but I can't do anything to fix my problem. I tried running scandisk, but it tells me that it needs exclusive access to some files. I guess this means that windows can't be running or something. So then it asks me if I want to have the disk check the next time the computer is restarted. I check yes and press ok, but when I restart it, it goes directly to XP (which freezes at the loading screen) with no scan!

So, I can't scan (and fix) in safemode. I can't get into XP due to freezing, and I can't boot to dos prompt because I have no boot cd. I've looked around on google but I can't find anywhere to tell me how to create a simple boot cd. I can find all kinds of info on boot disks, but I don't have a floppy drive, of course. I read that it may be a bad sector in the hard drive, but when I was able to simply run the scan disk without any fixing or recovery in safe mode, it didn't give me any errors. Nor did it do so in DOS Prompt in safe mode.

What's my next step?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

First download a Linux live-boot disco and use that to get your information off, then try a repair with an XP disc.

I don't have an XP disk.

Edit: It may be around here somewhere.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I can't seem to find it. It's probably 6 hours away back home. Is there any way I could create a basic boot disc cd to get me into DOS?

I can't seem to find it. It's probably 6 hours away back home. Is there any way I could create a basic boot disc cd to get me into DOS?

yup, all you have to do is insert your XP CD and then...

sorry, couldn't resist.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

google 'xp boot cd' several free good ones out there depending on what utilities you want on the .iso

problem solved. :*

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Thanks, Harlequin and Gorgon. But Gorgon, I have no idea where to find that online, and I searched a number of word combos with no results. Seeing as I'm no longer a student, would I still have access to this?

Harlequin, any links to good ones you know of. I just got one, but I have no idea what it will do, really, if anything.

Alright, I strong-armed a friend into letting me borrow their XP disc. Booting up the PC now. I should be able to do a disk check, right? Or at least some kind of repair? I don't want to have to go through the process of getting all my info off the HD because I have no good means of doing so, besides a 2GB thumb drive. That could take a while, and I've got files larger than that I need.

Any suggestions?

Alright, I strong-armed a friend into letting me borrow their XP disc. Booting up the PC now. I should be able to do a disk check, right? Or at least some kind of repair? I don't want to have to go through the process of getting all my info off the HD because I have no good means of doing so, besides a 2GB thumb drive. That could take a while, and I've got files larger than that I need.

Any suggestions?

If you lived closer I'd give you a copy of my xp pro corp edition (does not need to be activated). when you boot off the cd there will be a option to repair... its a crap shoot.. works prob 33 to 50% of the time. if after it does the repair and xp is still hosed then really your only bet is a wipe/reinstall unless you know how to fix the inner guts of the OS manually. Either case the cd will get you in and yes you can run chkdsk c: /f

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Any suggestions?

If you lived closer I'd give you a copy of my xp pro corp edition (does not need to be activated). when you boot off the cd there will be a option to repair... its a crap shoot.. works prob 33 to 50% of the time. if after it does the repair and xp is still hosed then really your only bet is a wipe/reinstall unless you know how to fix the inner guts of the OS manually. Either case the cd will get you in and yes you can run chkdsk c: /f

I was able to get into DOS using the recovery console, which let me do a chkdsk. It said their were errors found on the drive, but gave no details, and I could not run a /f, only a /r to try and retrieve data. After a bunch of playing around, I still can't get into windows. Should I let recovery console try and repair itself?

If you got a bunch of 'bad block' errors then the hdd is failing/dying. Cut your losses and just go get a new hdd.

If it was some other error then do a windows repair and cross your fingers.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

If you got a bunch of 'bad block' errors then the hdd is failing/dying. Cut your losses and just go get a new hdd.

If it was some other error then do a windows repair and cross your fingers.

What do you mean by do a windows repair, exactly? The only option I have for repair is recovery console, but that just sends me to DOS Prompt (where I did the chkdsk, but couldn't do /f). What am I supposed to do to do a repair of windows?

One thing I was considering is just install windows again, without formatting the hard drive, in the hopes that I can at least get everything off the drive I need. Everything after that is secondary.

Also:

After some quick checking on the internets, it appears HDs are dirt cheap!

After some quick checking on the internets, it appears HDs are dirt cheap!

yes, they are, and will probably continue on their decline (in price) due to all the new technology that is pending (which we've discussed in various threads around here somewhere).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

So, I managed to install XP HOME (it was Pro, but what are ya gonna do, eh?) so that I can at least get to the files I need. Only problem is, they are all in the My Documents Folder of the other windows installation. Now I need to find a way to get access to these files! Tells me access is denied! Ugh...

Isn't there some point in the "Repair" process where it offers you to log in and authenticate yourself?

I seem to remember having used that to save documents from a disk with bad blocks. It sucks having to use the dos prompt though, navigating through C:\DOCU~1 etc.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Now I need to find a way to get access to these files!

Boot from a Ubuntu Live disco and then find your files, they should be there. :ermm:

Elaborate.

Boot from a Ubuntu Live disco and then find your files, they should be there. :)

Elaborate.

Here's a nice step-by-step guide. :ermm:

EDIT: In fact I'm going to bookmark that page so I have it as a fall-back reference if I have any trouble tomorrow (I'm retrieving some data for a friend as her laptop died). :)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Boot from a Ubuntu Live disco and then find your files, they should be there. :)

Why you folks are hell bent on using linux for a windows issue is beyond me.

How about send him to a win32 boot disk that does the SAME thing so you don't have to confuse the guy any more by using another OS?

Linux peeps trying to ram it down our throats every chance they get...

Here is a windows util boot disk:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/news.html

or a more bare bones iso

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

hope that helps

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Why you folks are hell bent on using linux for a windows issue is beyond me.

How about send him to a win32 boot disk that does the SAME thing so you don't have to confuse the guy any more by using another OS?

Linux peeps trying to ram it down our throats every chance they get...

Here is a windows util boot disk:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/news.html

or a more bare bones iso

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

hope that helps

How ironic... the UBCD disk you linked to started off from the syslinux project. The CD itself boots into a tiny Linux kernel running on a FAT filesystem.

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

I was able to get everything off the drive I needed using Safe Mode (admin) to get to my old folder. I have since formatted the drive and reinstalled winders. Everything seems to boot fine, now, and I did a chkdsk to block off any bad sectors on the HD. Hopefully that will work as a temporary solution.