Request - Overwrite Enchantments

I think the enchantment system suffers from the fact that there is just too much of everything.  I recall old school Baldurs and such when finding a simple plus 1 item or a str enahncing belt that was with youy for the entire game almost.  Here we get fine supberb exceptional dropping like candy off enemies that drop like flies.  Seems like it is mainly for aesthetics I guess?  On top of that the merchants sell so many enchanted items that are quite accessible with the obscene amount of money we can accrue so...

The rng drops were so abundant I did not even bother enchanting things because every other major fight I had a new piece of equipment and since I can only overwrite one of the enchant lines it was too tedious to try and forward think my choices so I ended up with a ridiculous amount of enchant ingredients.

The enchantment system feels gutted and has no real penalty involved.  Also there is so many ingredients and items that drop in general it doesnt feel special. 
The system in NWN2 worked well I think with the need to actually be at a certain anvil or lab table to enchant.  The enchants were also quite rewarding in NWN2 wherein POE the only one that seems to make much a difference is perhaps bane types for certain encounters (spirits)

I see no reason why the enchant system can not be more robust.  I would of liked a lot less rng drops with only special items that were extremely rewarding in shops and more static placed items with a greater ability to enchant them.  I recall again in IWD waiting for half thegame just to go back and buy a belt or a mace from a certain merchant and that basically broke me.  Perhaps that is a little too restrictive but the enchant system and item drop system in POE although as great potential is way to EZ mode for my old school taste.

I hope that modding becomes more accessible for POE soon so the main devs can focus on story and core mechanics and the community can build a lot of extra refinement.

• Like 1

Enchanting needs to be deeper. It should be it's own skill. Possibly restricted to wizard. Or maybe not restricted to wiz but wiz should get a bonus to enchantment.

Cooking could be it's own skill too.

Edited by Kilburn

Enchanting needs to be deeper. It should be it's own skill. Possibly restricted to wizard. Or maybe not restricted to wiz but wiz should get a bonus to enchantment.

Cooking could be it's own skill too.

If you had it so it was class specific it'd force people to have a wizard in their party.

I think that enchanting system could be more elastic, and more giving. So you could reforge your sword and swap enchantments. Or even add more enchantments options in the future (not priority but why not). There could however be limitacion of doing it at blacksmith or in stronghold not on the field.

Reasoning:

- Crafting costs, so swaping enchantments with the mood will sunk our gold.

- Our heroes are shoting lazors from eyes halfgods kicking bottoms of dragons. With wisdom/mechanic of 10 or more. They are competent enought.

- Mistakes happens. And there is a pain if someone for example enchanted wrongly Hold Wall wrongly at low levels, and cant swap it.  Also there is no difference in betwean learning on own mistakes or checking up most optimal build/enchantment on internet/wiki. Its all about fun in the end.

Im against enchantment skill. One companion would be design for crafting duty (probably Pellegrina) and that would be end. Not bringing much.

Im all for more complicated crafting system, with wide selection of buffs, and ability to name our masterpiece. Which is exacly what White Marches will bring.

I think that enchanting system could be more elastic, and more giving. So you could reforge your sword and swap enchantments. Or even add more enchantments options in the future (not priority but why not). There could however be limitacion of doing it at blacksmith or in stronghold not on the field.

Reasoning:

- Crafting costs, so swaping enchantments with the mood will sunk our gold.

- Our heroes are shoting lazors from eyes halfgods kicking bottoms of dragons. With wisdom/mechanic of 10 or more. They are competent enought.

- Mistakes happens. And there is a pain if someone for example enchanted wrongly Hold Wall wrongly at low levels, and cant swap it.  Also there is no difference in betwean learning on own mistakes or checking up most optimal build/enchantment on internet/wiki. Its all about fun in the end.

Im against enchantment skill. One companion would be design for crafting duty (probably Pellegrina) and that would be end. Not bringing much.

Im all for more complicated crafting system, with wide selection of buffs, and ability to name our masterpiece. Which is exacly what White Marches will bring.

Being able to overwrite enchantments would just make the crafting system more user friendly in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the overall thing here is that there is already so much of so much so being able to add whatever enchant you want to gear wouldnt really do anything.

If they revamped the rng uber drops and made fine supberb and other damage modifiers unique and something that stayed with you that would be fantastic.

On top of that they added the evolving weapons which I like in theoryy and am about to fire up White March and see how they play out.

Bottom line though too much returns a negative value after a certain threshold.

So for chanting we would need reduced drops of uber gear to make it relavent.

Instead they levae uber drop sin and have a semi functional crafting system so they both become trivial.

As far as I can tell you could never look at enchanting or even equip the best weapon and still fly through enemies even on PoTD.

I believe a dev said he would suggest this in the design meeting. So any follow-up? It is still very much a requested feature...

Especially since WM is out, with retraining we do desperately need to be able to re-enchant elemental enchantment.

Edited by LaSpeakeasi