Accessibility Issue: Any change of getting a black text on light background option?

OverHaze

Question

Hi

This isn't an issue for many people but for those of us who suffer from it its a big one, reading white text on a dark background physically hurts me eyes. Given how good the game is I've been trying to though it out but after reading an extended story sequence my eyes are so swore and suffering from so much ghosting It can take almost 10 minutes before I can see properly again (also an issue with this forum BTW)

I have no idea the logistics of implementing it but any chance of an black text bright background option making it into a future patch?

Thanks.

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

I found this post while searching for a solution to this myself.

I can only read light-on-dark for so long before I start inching towards a migraine and have to stop. When I saw a colorblind option (which was awesome of you guys to add!), I was really hoping there would also be an option to invert the text.

(Changing it to black on tan, like the 'interactive story' segments would also work, and still look neat - any might actually be better than bright white, at least from my experience.)

Hello OverHaze, at least for the Forum i could offer you a solution.

With the browser addon Stylish you can restyle websites. Its available for ff and chrome: https://userstyles.org/

Then in the addon settings create a new style and paste this. That will style the most of this Forum in light gray backgrounds with black text.

Its not complete but covers most elements.

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forums.obsidian.net") {
  blockquote.ipsBlockquote {
   font-size: inherit !important;;
  }

.post_body .post {
    font-size: 14px !important;;
    line-height: 1.4 !important;;
  }

body {
    color: black;
     background-color: #eee;
  }

.border, .statistics, .post_block, .ipsComment, .popupInner, .no_messages, .poll_question ol, .ipsBox_container, .ipsFloatingAction, .column_view .post_body {
    background: #e5e5e5 none repeat scroll 0 0;
  }

.column_view .post_wrap {
    background: #bfbfbf none repeat scroll 0 0;
  }

.content {
    background-color: #f3f3f3; 
  }

body.forum_87, body.forum_88, body.forum_89, body.forum_90, body.forum_91, body.forum_99, body.forum_100, body.forum_101, body.forum_102, body.forum_104, body.forum_105 {
    background-color: #eee;
  }

.post_block h3, ul.post_controls {
    background-color: #cccccc;
    color: #111;

}

.ipbfs_titlebox {
    background-color: #ddd;  
  }

.ipsType_pagetitle, .ipsType_subtitle, .post_block h3, .post_block h3 a, .post_date  {
  }

.post_username {
    font-weight: normal;
  }

.desc, .desc.blend_links a, p.posted_info, .author_info .group_title, .desc.lighter, .desc.lighter.blend_links a {
    color: #222;
  }

a {
    color: black;
  }

#announcements td {
    background-color: palegoldenrod;
  }
}

I'm going to bring this up again. I know this seems like a small issue but just giving the option of black text on a white background and maybe a sans font would make so much of a difference. The game is all about reading, that reading being uncomfortable is a huge deal.

Any chance of hearing from someone at Obsidian on this?

Hello OverHaze,

At the bottom left of the screen, there is a Change Theme button. Click that and select IP.Board and that will give you black text on white background. 

Cheers!

I know about the board, I was talking about the game itself. I was playing for a few hours today and had white bars in front of my eyes for some time afterwards.

Could you please upload a screenshot so I can see what you are describing? 

Chances are you need to make sure your graphics card is updated and/or verify your game files if you are playing through steam or gog galaxy. 

Thanks!

We seem to be having a bit of a communication issue here :)

Text is displaying as it should in the game its just that the white text on the dark background is incredibly hard on my eyes (lots of people have this issue) and when I look away it leaves after images (white bars). Playing the game for a long period of time is actually painful. I was wondering if a black text on bright background option in the game would be possible?

I'm bumping this. Is this ever likely to be implemented? This isn't some minor issue it actively keeps from playing the game because Its physically painful to do so. An option for black text on a white background and maybe a nice sans-serif would make the world of difference.