Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Adam at Work

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 333 posts

Hey Everyone,

I'm working all day today (yup it's Sunday, and I have no life). Feel free to ask some questions about Pillars of Eternity, or being a programmer/producer at Obsidian, and I'll do my best to answer them. Some things I can't answer - sorry in advance!

Today, I'm working on a few odds and ends - bug fixing and miscellaneous features. Right now I'm looking into an occasional bug that causes party members to get stuck-in-place permanently after they get knocked down. That's no fun, so I'm going to fix it.

Anyone get a chance to play South Park: The Stick of Truth yet? I'm looking forward to doing a complete play through hopefully soon.

-Adam

• Zed, sesobebo, ShadySands and 16 others like this

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Gold Backer

With three different versions of PoE (Windows, Linux and Mac), how do you allocate resources to do all three versions? Do you do say do a part of the game with the Windows version and then do the Mac and Linux versions straight after. Do you have three people or teams working on different versions of just one team working on a version at a time. Also, I'm guessing the same people are doing the three different versions? What are some of the challenges to do 3 different versions of the same game for you.

BBMorti

BBMorti

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

How many different solutions would you say there are on average for each Quest?

"Today, I'm working on a few odds and ends - bug fixing and miscellaneous features. Right now I'm looking into an occasional bug that causes party members to get stuck-in-place permanently after they get knocked down. That's no fun, so I'm going to fix it." That does indeed sound annoying, and were I in your shoes I would also want to fix this, which makes me feel there is a connection between you and me. We think alike you and me not wanting to have our characters stuck and all *brofist*

Edited by BBMorti, 09 March 2014 - 02:37 PM.

• JFSOCC and Lephys like this

KaineParker

KaineParker

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Silver Backer
In your opinion, what is the coolest class in Pillars or Eternity?

How many people do you have to fend off in order to get to the coffee maker in the morning?

How does the Paladin's smite-ish ability "Flames of Devotion" work?
  • Lephys likes this

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Can you tell what milestone/s you are currently working in PoE and how your roadmap for PoE currently looks, at least in very general level?

• sesobebo likes this

Living One

Living One

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I know the initial idea was to have a companion per class(hence the now scrapped additional stretch goals to cover the last ones) but that's not happening anymore(they're eight currently,right?).Could you tell us wich classes aren't covered,so we can create a character while avoiding class redundancy with the other party members?Or at least do you guys plan to reveal it pre-release?Or is it subject to the 'no-spoiler' policy?

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 333 posts

With three different versions of PoE (Windows, Linux and Mac), how do you allocate resources to do all three versions? Do you do say do a part of the game with the Windows version and then do the Mac and Linux versions straight after. Do you have three people or teams working on different versions of just one team working on a version at a time. Also, I'm guessing the same people are doing the three different versions? What are some of the challenges to do 3 different versions of the same game for you.

On larger projects, you might have teams dedicated to each platform. Our team is small, so you are correct that the same people work on the three different versions (although we will have dedicated testers for each platform). We are very lucky, because Unity supports the three platforms out of the box. There are minor things that we need to do to get it all to work out, but all three are developed concurrently.

Most of the challenges arise when things don't work the same - it takes programmer time to figure out the issue on the individual platform, and more time to program a solution.

• Ieo, Fade Lee and Lephys like this

Greensleeve

Greensleeve

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Quick, let's flood Adam with questions so he doesn't get to do any bug fixing! Wait a minute...

Anyway, question for Adam: how many weapon types (roughly) will there be in the game with actually useful magical equivalents? The IE games became sort of boring to play through as fight-y types because there wasn't that much choice in weapon types if you wanted to play with some efficiency and optimality and I'd hope that PE overcomes this. Given New Vegas, I have high hopes. 

Edit: Also, not had the chance to play The Stick of Truth, being busy with my final term in college and all (pesky dissertation). But I am strongly considering getting it when I can. 

Edited by Greensleeve, 09 March 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 333 posts

How many different solutions would you say there are on average for each Quest?

"Today, I'm working on a few odds and ends - bug fixing and miscellaneous features. Right now I'm looking into an occasional bug that causes party members to get stuck-in-place permanently after they get knocked down. That's no fun, so I'm going to fix it." That does indeed sound annoying, and were I an your shoes I would also want to fix this, which makes me feel there is a connection between you and me. We think alike you and me not wanting to have our characters stuck and all *brofist*

Many? Definitely more than one and greater than two. There are multi-part quests with a subset of objectives that can be solved in multiple ways.

• JFSOCC and Boox like this

coffeetable

coffeetable

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Backer

What's your approach to designing the software architecture for games like PE?

Subquestion: what were the most significant learning experiences that lead to your current approach?

Edited by coffeetable, 09 March 2014 - 02:39 PM.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

• Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Gold Backer

Also, more on the programming side of things. What is your favourite programming language and which ones do you dislike? Why? What was the learning curve like with using Unity with the programmers at Obsidian? What have been some of the fun features you've done with Unity? What are some of the interesting things (bugs) that's happened with PoE that's been funny but totally unintentional. 

• sesobebo likes this

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5622 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
What was the most challenging thing to implement so far?

I suppose this is a design question, but: what do you think is the biggest thing PoE has over the original Infinity Engine games?

Do you already have a decent idea of the things modders will be able to edit *for sure* in the finale title?

Your expectations for the True Detective finale?
  • sesobebo likes this

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

• Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Gold Backer

When do you start getting voice actors in, or have you already done so? How is the music going as well?

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 333 posts

In your opinion, what is the coolest class in Pillars or Eternity?

How many people do you have to fend off in order to get to the coffee maker in the morning?

How does the Paladin's smite-ish ability "Flames of Devotion" work?

The Cipher. Chanter might be the next one in line, but I haven't put too much time in playing one yet.

The coffee maker isn't typically crowded. Most of the hardcore coffee drinkers have their own supply and brew machines in their own offices. I try to only drink two cups a day.

See Thoros of Myr.

• The Mist Devil and Jajo like this

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 333 posts

Can you tell what milestone/s you are currently working in PoE and how your roadmap for PoE currently looks, at least in very general level?

We are still in production, and hope to be at Alpha soon.

• sesobebo likes this

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 333 posts

I know the initial idea was to have a companion per class(hence the now scrapped additional stretch goals to cover the last ones) but that's not happening anymore(they're eight currently,right?).Could you tell us wich classes aren't covered,so we can create a character while avoiding class redundancy with the other party members?Or at least do you guys plan to reveal it pre-release?Or is it subject to the 'no-spoiler' policy?

Yup, you are right that there are 8 companions. I'm not sure if we are going to release the class makeup before shipping because of the spoiler thing. You can always hire the missing pieces at the adventurer's hall if you need the full suite of classes.

• Living One likes this

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 333 posts

Quick, let's flood Adam with questions so he doesn't get to do any bug fixing! Wait a minute...

Anyway, question for Adam: how many weapon types (roughly) will there be in the game with actually useful magical equivalents? The IE games became sort of boring to play through as fight-y types because there wasn't that much choice in weapon types if you wanted to play with some efficiency and optimality and I'd hope that PE overcomes this. Given New Vegas, I have high hopes. 

Edit: Also, not had the chance to play The Stick of Truth, being busy with my final term in college and all (pesky dissertation). But I am strongly considering getting it when I can. 

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? We have a ton of weapon types. Josh did the weapons in New Vegas, so it's in good hands.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

• Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Gold Backer

We are still in production, and hope to be at Alpha soon.

You probably can't say and I was going to ask if you could do a current play through of the game now, or at least the main quest. I'm guessing this kind of answers my question.

Greensleeve

Greensleeve

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? We have a ton of weapon types. Josh did the weapons in New Vegas, so it's in good hands.

I'm asking whether there will be a diversity of powerful magic weapons in the game and not just a diversity of weapon types. BG2 had pretty good weapon type diversity, but if one looked at whether there were useful magical versions of these weapons for the second half of the game one ended up getting to choose between two-handed sword, halberd, flail, and warhammer. And that was more or less it. Sure there were other +3 weapons, but they were nowhere as good as the other types, nor were they nearly as interesting.

Given that you say Josh is handling this I feel pretty good about things, given that New Vegas really went out of its way to ensure that you had great guns of each and every type. What I was hoping to get from you here was maybe something more concrete than hopes based on prior products.

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 333 posts

What's your approach to designing the software architecture for games like PE?

Subquestion: what were the most significant learning experiences that lead to your current approach?

I don't know how to answer without writing too much.

The architecture is defined by the engine, Unity. Play to it's strengths and don't try to do things it can't do. Never try to force a square peg into a round hole.

• sesobebo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users