Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

do u remember ur first pnp game?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

T'was around mid 80's, there was this magazine article telling about the roleplaying concept and me an my brother decided to give it a go.

We didn't have any rules or such and only one six-sided die, so it was to the tune of "I roll ... 4, is that a hit? guess that's a hit. Roll... 5 for damage.. hmmm. guess the goblin's dead now."

Sweet stuff, storytelling experience with dungeons and magic crystals, when we wanted to do something, we decided what needs to be rolled.

I had played some Scott Adams text adventures on Vic-20, so I knew how adventure stories work.

A bit later we went big and bought D&D red box.

It was a choice between that and Middle Earth Role Playing, Larry Elmore's sweet D&D cover won that battle.

• Walsingham, nikolokolus and melkathi like this

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3061 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

We didn't have any rules or such and only one six-sided die, so it was to the tune of "I roll ... 4, is that a hit? guess that's a hit. Roll... 5 for damage.. hmmm. guess the goblin's dead now."

Reminds me of school. During recess a friend asked whether I couldn't quickly wiz up an adventure. "Oh, ok. Do you have dice?" "No. You?" "No... eh, just grab that eraser there and roll that."

• Jarmo likes this

Noviere

Noviere

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It was AD&D, and I was 8 or 9(so 1988-89?). It was summer, and I was at our family's cottage. My older brother and his friends were all playing it, and I begged to play also. I remember the gnome illusionist kept saying I shouldn't be allowed to because I was under age -- they were all 12-13 and I think it said for ages 10+ on the cover of one of the books. Any way, they let me and I made an elven mage named Hocus...  :facepalm: I remember thinking I was quite clever haha. I don't remember much, except for that there were lizardmen and a swamp. Oh, and that Hocus drowned on the last day that we played.

We didn't own any of the books, so we didn't play again until the next summer. That was the summer of Robotech. The summer after? Teenage, Mutant Ninja Turtles. When I was 12 or so, I started asking for AD&D books and managed to amass a fairly large collection over the next 6-7 years before finally giving up on PnP as friends outgrew it, or moved away. 

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

T'was around mid 80's, there was this magazine article telling about the roleplaying concept and me an my brother decided to give it a go.

Sweet stuff, storytelling experience with dungeons and magic crystals, when we wanted to do something, we decided what needs to be rolled.

I had played some Scott Adams text adventures on Vic-20, so I knew how adventure stories work.

A bit later we went big and bought D&D red box.

It was a choice between that and Middle Earth Role Playing, Larry Elmore's sweet D&D cover won that battle.

There was definitely something special about that ersatz Conan guy, with the sword and shield, taking on a dragon, that immediately pulled you in and made you want to replicate that moment some how.

• Valsuelm likes this

Zorfab

Zorfab

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts

Warhammer Fantasy 1st edition and I think I was ~12 or so. It definitely hooked me into the whole RPG thing. First game I DM:ed myself was Palladium Fantasy and then I transitioned to AD&D 2nd and Twilight 2000 (for a spell).

UrielOWA

UrielOWA

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I started with DnD 3.5 Pathfinder.

My brother brought me into this and i still love it. I didn't know much about the rules, only a bit about the world, religions, and others stuff (mostly because of Computergames)

Don't remember exactly the first play, but i have to favorite situations :D

first one:

I nearly always play a halfling-ranger, with subclass "Pathfinder".

And on that second time, our group had to find a sponsor in town, for an exploration of some ruins deep down in a forest.

As soon as we had decided on one of the 5 possible sponsors, the leader was abducted and we had to find and rescue him before we could start our exploration.

After some research and a fistfight in a bar, we got the necessary information where the leader was hidden. While my brother (a human-rogue) sneaked into the house of the kidnappers, our wizard, our warrior and me stormed the house.

As soon as we arrived at the top floor (where the bandit-captain plus two bandit-minions where), my character took out his sling, threw a stone and i rolled a 20 twice. 

Well, our master didn't see that coming and couldn't say more than "wtf".

So i instantly killed one of those minion-bandits with a hit right between the eyes and send him 2 meters flying.

That gave us the possibility of an surprise attack and it didn't end well for those bandits.

second one:

In another DnD-scenario we had another group made. This time my brother played a human-warrior, but oh well, i made another halfling-ranger again :D

This time we stood in front of a human village, which was occupied by some elven-hunters. My brothers character hated those. Really....extreme hate :D

Well, we had to negotiate peace between the human village and an elven village nearby in the forest.

Of course it couldn't end well, because of those elven hunters.

Well, their leader stood up and confronted us.

The only words my brother said were: "You belong to me!"

And in the next moment, my brother took his sword and with one swing (and two rolled 20s) he chopped of the head of that elven hunter before he could even react.

Our master was desperate that moment, because he wanted this conflict to last longer. Well...not this time.

Our master rolled his dice if the other enemys would run in fear and as he facepalmed himself, we knew: no luck for his "longer conflict"

The elven hunters ran in fear and we could convince the village to have peace with the elves.

We laughed so hard when my brother rolled those two 20s :D

Razorchain

Razorchain

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think it was '87 when my friends older brother ran an adventure for us. We played Warhammer Fantasy RPG, I played a woodsman called Johannes and we went to Nuln and I clove a bandit in half with my axe.

It was awesome
  • Walsingham and TMZuk like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

'86ish. It was basic DnD where dwarves were dwarves and elves were elves.  The rules now seem limiting but back then it was awesomesauce. It's where my love of dwarves started.

• Walsingham likes this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm amazed we have so many old skool players new to the forum.

NWN_babaYaga

NWN_babaYaga

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It was completely stupid. Our DM was so mad at us because we wanted to walk away from the adventure he planed just by using a different road that we had to stop the game. He never played with us again....!

That was the beginning!

damn virgin!

Gender Nihilist

Gender Nihilist

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts

My first game was a game of Rifts, which like all Palladium Books systems was more complicated than it needed to be (but not so complicated it put 9 year old me off being mesmerized by it), and I played with a bunch of older kids, most of whom I knew already outside of the GM and I think maybe one of the players. I remember that the book I spied on a friend's coffee table was the Atlantis world book, and I decided while I was reading it to make a True Atlantean all focused on Atlantean tattoo magic, and the friend whose house I'd been reading it at decided to make a dragon to play. I can't remember everyone else's characters (somebody was some kind of guns blazing mercenary, I think possibly a Juicer? might have been a Juicer + the merc and I'm blending them in my memory of that session) and anyway I just remember my character making the dragon angry by pestering the merc so he did a Monty Python bit and turned into a rabbit and mauled me to death with draconic might. 

So, naturally, I kept going back to that GM's house over and over again, making new characters for new games, utterly addicted to the experience of getting absolutely ruined by GM and player threats alike lmao

I moved on from there to all kinds of other systems, starting with 2nd ed D&D (Planescape was my first taste of D&D, a few years before Torment came out) to old World of Darkness stuff onwards to later iterations of those systems and many others besides (current fave is Eclipse Phase), but I still hold a nostalgia in my heart for a lot of the different Palladium Books settings (their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles system of Bio-E points to make your own custom mutant animal had me churning out character after character after character back in the day). 

da_mayor

da_mayor

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 537 posts

Gads.  It was summer of 1980.  It was a mishmash of Basic and AD&D because we were pre-teens and played kinda fast 'n' loose with those pesky rules.  I don't even remember what kind of character I generated, but we used those cut-out chits instead of dice, and we played B2 (Keep on the Borderlands).  We didn't so much have a DM as we laid out the map, traced paths to rooms (oddly, traps weren't really a problem), and drew chits to kill things.  It really wasn't proper gaming as I know it now, but that's where it all started.

Gizmo

Gizmo

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

4 years old; D&D.  They bent the rules so I could play a goblin [halfling].  I recall hitting something [worth XP/gold] with a thrown dagger, while standing in a tree.

Edited by Gizmo, 25 June 2016 - 10:30 PM.

• Rolandur likes this

Emc2

Emc2

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My first session was last month, 5th edition D&D. I was just visiting a friend and they were in the middle of playing one of the starter campaings and convinced me to roll a character and join in. I've been playing BG, IWD etc. for a long time so I was pretty used to all the rolling and stuff, heck I might even be the most experienced of the bunch when it comes to D&D. Didn't take me long to get used to it, it was fun 9 hour session, and bunch of other sessions after that.

Playing shapeshifting gnome druid who has a past as a construction worker of some sort, which has led to some amusing RP moments. Our DM is a first timer as well but damn good at it. I like the gact he's pulling some rules out of his arse on the fly to make things faster and more interesting/challenging. Following the rules too blindly wouldn't be half as fun. We actually finished the campaing last night.

Overall it's...Good fun!

eolsunder

eolsunder

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

My first game we started playing about 1980 or so, first module was Keep on the Borderlands. I remember DM'ing it, and being so overwelmed with the coolness of D&D as a kid i would spend time just making up maps and such of the actual Keep, buildings, rooms, encounters, and get really into it lol. Just the artwork on the cover of the module sucked me into the D&D world instantly. 

Trying to remember modules i really liked. Earthshaker of course, a huge super giant robot construct? Yes please. The Drow and Giant module series of course, awesome. My favorite one was the Castle Amber, my group really went all out on that one and had some major fun. In the end I think one of the party was stoned, so we had to abandon him because there are major foes in different areas that we had to fight, and the last 2 party members split up, one had to fight a giant zombie attacking a castle and the other a wizard had to fight an alien in a tower or something. We triumphed in the end but it was like a grueling football game that we only won due to lucky dice rolls and abandoning all hope of actually winning. lol. 

Rolandur

Rolandur

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 111 posts

4 years old; D&D.  They bent the rules so I could play a goblin [halfling].  I recall hitting something [worth XP/gold] with a thrown dagger, while standing in a tree.

Sounds like the recent hobbit movies used your session for inspiration. =)

quidproquo

quidproquo

(2) Evoker

• Validating
  • 72 posts
First RPG I owned was Dungeons and Dragons. I had a pale blue monochrome colored (not dark blue) book that predated the red box/red covered basic edition. The first one I played with people may have been Gamma World, though. Either that or Dungeons and Dragons. First game I played with others would have been 1980 or 1981 if I remember right.

I've played a lot of RPGs over the years. I played Paranoia with a group for a while, Dungeons and Dragons, home brew games with friends, some sort of vampire game, and many others. The vampire game was short lived and I personally boycott all vampire centric things now, be they shows, movies, games, books, or people. Vampires as part of a larger campaign are still okay. for now.

If only there were time and everyone lived closer together, I'd still play regularly, but no time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users