PC: Known Issues and Fixes

Tigranes

Question

This is a compilation of community issues and fixes and does not come from Obsidian Entertainment or SEGA. Always back-up your files before changing them.

I can't start Alpha Protocol / Alpha Protocol crashes when starting

Currently some people are experiencing crashes or windows errors when running Alpha Protocol, especially with 64-bit Windows 7 computers. Problems seem to vary from case to case.

• Make sure any changes you made to the game, such as to the .inis, are 'rolled back'.
  • Try upgrading your graphics drivers to the latest version. If you are already on the latest version, downgrading one by one.
  • Try using the website to activate rather than the game.
  • Try reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime and/or .Net Framework, as shown here.
  • Try a clean reinstall of Alpha Protocol. For downloaded copies, ideally, re-download the files if you are able. If you are on Steam, you can check for file integrity there. If you get CRC errors or other errors during installation, redownloading files is very much recommended.

I have problems activating or deactivating Alpha Protocol.

Alpha Protocol has a single key, which is used to activate the game up to 5 times. When all goes well, this happens when you first load the game - you enter the key, and zap. If you uninstall while online, it automatically deactivates. You can also activate and deactivate through SEGA's website. However, as of yet the website does not appear to have detailed documentation.

If you have problems activating, you should try and use the Disconnected/Offline Activation option in the activator program, which should give you an activation file to use with SEGA's website. If you somehow run out of activations, or you can't use either method of activation, try SEGA's customer service, as they will be handling the DRM, not Obsidian. Hopefully there will be more fixes and solutions emerging in the near future.

My mouse is jerky / camera stutters when moving mouse.

This seems to be related to the frame rate and loading environments, rather than the mouse itself. Most people have reported some to complete success with the following methods:

• Try setting mouse sensitivity in the in-game options.
  • Try editing APEngine.ini (C:\Users\username\Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config) to the following:
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=20
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30
    Adjust the values to suit.
  • Try editing APEngine.ini to the following:
    UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
    OnlyStreamInTextures=true
    OneFrameThreadLag=False

If you still have problems, check that the .inis have not reverted to their original settings after you have run the game. You might need to set it as 'Read Only'. Always keep a backup of .ini changes, so that if they cause other problems they can be 'rolled back'.

When I load a checkpoint in a mission, Mike is no longer in cover / enemies have disappeared.

Currently there is an issue with loading checkpoints where some of the information does not load correctly, or is missing. For now, try restarting Alpha Protocol then starting from the safehouse checkpoint, and beginning the mission again. Usually, a 'fresh' Alpha Protocol will not have this problem, as it seems to arise from the fact that checkpoints only save very limited information. Rapid / frequent reloading is likely to exacerbate the issue.

Smaller differences, such as your abilities being available after reloading even if they were 'cooling down', or enemies no longer being aware of your presence, might also be encountered.

The dialogue options are blank. I see the buttons but not the text!

This is currently an issue with anti-aliasing. Go to your graphics driver control panel (from Windows control panel). Make sure the settings for AA (anti-aliasing) and AF (anisotropic filtering) are set to "Application Controlled".

The dialogue goes by too fast for me.

While this is a game feature to make conversations flowing and exciting, some people might have trouble keeping up with the pace for various reasons, such as if they are playing with a non-native language. There is no currently known way to edit the speed of the dialogue timer, but keep an eye on this forum. Remember that you can use the mouse *or* WASD to select the dialogue options.

When in the inventory or customising Mike's appearance, I see strange effects / I don't see a model of Mike.

This is currently an issue with anti-aliasing. Go to your graphics driver control panel (from Windows control panel). Make sure the settings for AA (anti-aliasing) and AF (anisotropic filtering) are set to "Application Controlled".

Surround sound doesn't work.

Try the fix in this thread, for now. Let us know if it works!

The menu sounds and other sounds have been replaced by strange 'grunt' sounds.

Currently, it's not certain what this is, but it is suspected that it has something to do with the DRM scheme. Try roling back all .ini changes and other modifications to game files, and if that fails, try a clean reinstall and reactivation. Let us know how it goes or if you have found a solution.

• Like 2

19 answers to this question

also!

if you have the European version of the game and have trouble starting, change the folder named en to en-us.

the starter for the game is american and somebody forgot to change the folder name inside the game binary :)

my game didn't even start the DRM activation window, and i discovered the website was linked to the folder en-us instead of en (since there is no en-us inside europe :) )

This is a compilation of community issues and fixes and does not come from Obsidian Entertainment or SEGA. Always back-up your files before changing them.

Currently some people are experiencing crashes or windows errors when running Alpha Protocol, especially with 64-bit Windows 7 computers. Problems seem to vary from case to case.

• Try upgrading your graphics drivers to the latest version. If you are already on the latest version, downgrading one by one.
  • Try reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime and/or .Net Framework, as shown here.

Alpha Protocol has a single key, which is used to activate the game up to 5 times. When all goes well, this happens when you first load the game - you enter the key, and zap. You can deactivate in the same way. You can also activate and deactivate through SEGA's website here. However, as of yet the website does not appear to have detailed documentation.

If you have problems activating, you should try and use the Disconnected/Offline Activation option in the activator program, which should give you an activation file to use with SEGA's website. If you somehow run out of activations, or you can't use either method of activation, try SEGA's customer service, as they will be handling the DRM, not Obsidian. Hopefully there will be more fixes and solutions emerging in the near future.

Right.

I bought the game two days ago and have been trying to activate it ever since.

a) When I try to start the game from the launcher, it goes to a blank IE site (while I use Firefox)

b) When I try to fill in the serial key by using the link in the binaries folder, the site doesn't work, the button does nothing.

c) When I go to your site, it get's insane. WHAT do I have to upload in order to get directions? A word file? Got a notpad file back with 'e= and something with license.

Almost everyone I check out online that has the A and B problem are stuck. Because option C is SO badly explained (IF explained at all) that it's impossible.

You already had my 50 bucks when you announced the game, you did an awesome job on Kotor 2. But I tend to never buy a game of your again. If a normal customer can't even play a game he/she rightfully bought I can see why people tend to use torrents.

Greetings.

Alpha Protocol has a single key, which is used to activate the game up to 5 times. When all goes well, this happens when you first load the game - you enter the key, and zap. You can deactivate in the same way. You can also activate and deactivate through SEGA's website here. However, as of yet the website does not appear to have detailed documentation.

Right.

I bought the game two days ago and have been trying to activate it ever since.

a) When I try to start the game from the launcher, it goes to a blank IE site (while I use Firefox)

b) When I try to fill in the serial key by using the link in the binaries folder, the site doesn't work, the button does nothing.

c) When I go to your site, it get's insane. WHAT do I have to upload in order to get directions? A word file? Got a notpad file back with 'e= and something with license.

Almost everyone I check out online that has the A and B problem are stuck. Because option C is SO badly explained (IF explained at all) that it's impossible.

You already had my 50 bucks when you announced the game, you did an awesome job on Kotor 2. But I tend to never buy a game of your again. If a normal customer can't even play a game he/she rightfully bought I can see why people tend to use torrents.

Greetings.

i had the same problem you have to change a folder name: program files/Sega/Alpha Protocol/Binaries/en and change that en folder name to en-us :)

also this game was only $28 for me on play,com

Indeed, try markridin's fix and see if that helps you.

I'm a mod not a dev, I have no affiliations with Obsidian, but with every passing day people seem to be coming up with new ways to crack each bug.

I agree that the Sega website is very poorly explained at the moment, I'm not sure why. Anyway, ironically, to use option ©, you actually need to be able to access the activator program - then select offline activation, which generates a 'key file' for you to upload. Again, I don't understand why two methods of activation are tied down to the same program (therefore, you know, not really helping), but there it is.

Let us know if markridin's solution works, or not...

Game crashes with an APPCRASH error message with Nvidia Forceware 257.15 installed

Uninstall the Nvidia display and Physx drivers in the Windows control panel. Reboot an install Forceware 197.75 (available from nvidia.com).

The crash appears to be related to the version of Physx in the latest beta drivers, as AP is playable if you uninstall Physx and reinstall an older version (although this breaks the Nvidia control panel).

Edited by adrich81

I got an appcrash right after the launcher, even before activation: game can't start because d3dx10_42.dll is missing. Fixed by re-installing DirectX from Microsoft's website.

Appears to work now.

W7 64 bit, ATI Radeon HD4800

Hmm...

I noticed in my game, that when I die, if I take last save option from the menu that I get "standard" enemies disappearing bug. But, if instead of that I load last save manually, I get black screen, and need to alt-tab out of game and kill its process.

Of course, reloading the save after restarting the game work flawlessly. As well as loading with last save option that gives "disappearing" enemies, and then loading save manually.

I do use bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False tweak for APEngine.ini (to reduce "mouse twiching" issue), so maybe it could be that is causing this (haven't tested without it).

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

Hmm...

I noticed in my game, that when I die, if I take last save option from the menu that I get "standard" enemies disappearing bug. But, if instead of that I load last save manually, I get black screen, and need to alt-tab out of game and kill its process.

Of course, reloading the save after restarting the game work flawlessly. As well as loading with last save option that gives "disappearing" enemies, and then loading save manually.

I do use bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False tweak for APEngine.ini (to reduce "mouse twiching" issue), so maybe it could be that is causing this (haven't tested without it).

i get the dissapearing enemies to and i have made no such tweaks to the ini file.

I'm having a new issue with the game that I can't seem to find a resolution for yet. I played through the game once a couple of months back, and just last week I decided to play through again, however this time when I launch the game, the launch window comes up and I'll click play. It will load up the game, but the sound won't be working properly, such as I can't heard any background music, and when I hover over the buttons on the menus I get a sort of grunting sound. So currently to resolve this issue I restart the game, but now when I launch the game I need to activate it even though I've activated it in the past. So once that happens the game runs fine and sound is no longer an issue.

My question is, why is it asking me to register every time I want to play and how do I fix it. And is there a way to tell how many registrations I've used so far to check and make sure I don't run into a problem with it not allowing me to play any more.

Thanks.

The activation info above is now out of date, see this thread. Apparently anyone who buys the game now will see a cryptic error message and activation will fail.

Thanks for the other info. I've been noticing the mouse issue but was just dealing with it.

• Make sure any changes you made to the game, such as to the .inis, are 'rolled back'.
  • Try a clean reinstall of Alpha Protocol. For downloaded copies, ideally, re-download the files if you are able. If you are on Steam, you can check for file integrity there. If you get CRC errors or other errors during installation, redownloading files is very much recommended.

Alpha Protocol has a single key, which is used to activate the game up to 5 times. When all goes well, this happens when you first load the game - you enter the key, and zap. If you uninstall while online, it automatically deactivates. You can also activate and deactivate through SEGA's website. However, as of yet the website does not appear to have detailed documentation.

My mouse is jerky / camera stutters when moving mouse.

This seems to be related to the frame rate and loading environments, rather than the mouse itself. Most people have reported some to complete success with the following methods:

• Try setting mouse sensitivity in the in-game options.
  • Try editing APEngine.ini (C:\Users\username\Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config) to the following:
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=20
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30
    Adjust the values to suit.
  • Try editing APEngine.ini to the following:
    UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
    OnlyStreamInTextures=true
    OneFrameThreadLag=False

If you still have problems, check that the .inis have not reverted to their original settings after you have run the game. You might need to set it as 'Read Only'. Always keep a backup of .ini changes, so that if they cause other problems they can be 'rolled back'.

When I load a checkpoint in a mission, Mike is no longer in cover / enemies have disappeared.

Currently there is an issue with loading checkpoints where some of the information does not load correctly, or is missing. For now, try restarting Alpha Protocol then starting from the safehouse checkpoint, and beginning the mission again. Usually, a 'fresh' Alpha Protocol will not have this problem, as it seems to arise from the fact that checkpoints only save very limited information. Rapid / frequent reloading is likely to exacerbate the issue.

Smaller differences, such as your abilities being available after reloading even if they were 'cooling down', or enemies no longer being aware of your presence, might also be encountered.

The dialogue options are blank. I see the buttons but not the text!

The dialogue goes by too fast for me.

While this is a game feature to make conversations flowing and exciting, some people might have trouble keeping up with the pace for various reasons, such as if they are playing with a non-native language. There is no currently known way to edit the speed of the dialogue timer, but keep an eye on this forum. Remember that you can use the mouse *or* WASD to select the dialogue options.

When in the inventory or customising Mike's appearance, I see strange effects / I don't see a model of Mike.

Surround sound doesn't work.

Try the fix in this thread, for now. Let us know if it works!

The menu sounds and other sounds have been replaced by strange 'grunt' sounds.

Currently, it's not certain what this is, but it is suspected that it has something to do with the DRM scheme. Try roling back all .ini changes and other modifications to game files, and if that fails, try a clean reinstall and reactivation. Let us know how it goes or if you have found a solution.

Windows needs it'a all the update which microsoft offers online( :sorcerer: ) unless they are updated you will get crashes and grunt sounds and also black screen (>_<) , i played this game on windows vista 64-bit without problem when shifted to windows 7 64-bit got crash issues and other problems couldn't after week of update downloads got the game to run perfectly smooth( 8) )

I've found how have FSAA and The dialogue options now you see the buttons and the text, for nVidia Card.

Use nVidia Inspector change Alpha Protocol profile :

Antialiasing Compatibility (Dx9) form :

0x00000045 (APB, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Alpha Protocol, Dark Void, Damnation, Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad, Singularity, Borderlands, Alice: Madness Returns, Alien Breed, Tron: Evolution, Rise of the Argonauts, Hunted: The Demon's Forge)

to : 0x00000041 (Warmonger)

and now you have AntiAlias and Text in dialogue :D

See you ExA.

I've found how have FSAA and The dialogue options now you see the buttons and the text, for nVidia Card.

Use nVidia Inspector change Alpha Protocol profile :

Antialiasing Compatibility (Dx9) form :

0x00000045 (APB, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Alpha Protocol, Dark Void, Damnation, Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad, Singularity, Borderlands, Alice: Madness Returns, Alien Breed, Tron: Evolution, Rise of the Argonauts, Hunted: The Demon's Forge)

to : 0x00000041 (Warmonger)

and now you have AntiAlias and Text in dialogue :D

See you ExA.

Hey, this is the right thing i was searching for, thank you, Exaercase! Much of help for me.

If still relevant for anyone, the Anti-Aliasing-Problems were no longer existent for my AMD-card. I used some 12.11 beta Catalyst and was able to force SGSSAA without nasty side effects like dialogue or inventory models disappearing.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I got Alpha Protocol Pc version in India and it was not working on my windows 8 pc.Tried all workarounds to no avail.Installed it on my windows 8 pc and copied the version 1.0 exe to my windows 8 pc and reapplied the european patch instead of the us patch.Lo and behold it worked .I'm including the links for the 1.0 version exe and the european patch for fellow players.

version 1.0 .exe ( did not find any on the net so uploaded my own)

https://mega.co.nz/#!7EpAHA7b!P3RHfiZP_Lu2yLoz_8_Te0ihwtxeo4pUtT1Bdr2rYMA

european patch (can also download from sega website)

https://mega.co.nz/#!HEgUnCrS!a84yrTkczx3mBpe6ou_rvBOPwDkRADuLlR7NV7f9Fzo

The problem I am having seems to be related to the mouse and it's got me stumped...any help would be appreciated.

Basically after breaking out of the medbay and kicking the guards butt I go to turn off the alarm.  The tutorial appears but won't leave when I press "Continue".

It's like the mouse isn't even clicking though it still moves. Esc and toher keys have no effect at this point so I'm stuck.

Help! :(

Cheers peeps.

First of all, thanks Tigranes for the topic (yes, it's a bit late to say that :p)

*** SPOILERS INSIDE ***

My very first run was years ago, a few months before F:NV released, I used Windows XP then, but I don't really remember what (if) bugs Alpha Protocol had on my computer, but alas, nothing prevented me to play the game through the end, so I don't know differences with my very recent runs.

Because I currently play Alpha Protocol on GNU/Linux thanks to Wine (2.0), and I only encountered a few bugs, especially the checkpoint bug, and I empirically believe it mostly concerns a few checkpoints in the whole game:

• the Bug the Airfield mission in Saudi Arabia - any checkpoint before entering the tower
  • the US embassy in Moscow - namely the checkpoint when we disable the security system

After many tries on other checkpoints through the game, I didn't encounter further checkpoint bugs as such.

So if saving, the solution was to save the previous checkpoint (for the embassy): the one right after first meeting Surkov.

But, then, I encountered a checkpoint bug but not like those, in the embassy, at the very end of the mission: the last checkpoint should be the one in the hall, but if you exit the embassy then through the right door, the game count it as the second checkpoint of the mission (when you convince guards to enter), the consequence is that if you load then, you can go outside the embassy, Surkov and guards are in the garden, but neither the G22 nor the VCI will come (depending the side you chose first).

Solution: do not exit through the right door but through the left door at entrance or through the first floor door, or save the normal checkpoint in the hall.

I encountered another bug: the flashbang grenades.

Even upgraded to v.3, I cannot have 5 flashbangs per slot, but only 3 max.

There, I don't know the solution, I had to get used to it, and upgrade the number of slots.

Wasn't annoyed because I played a stealthy build, but it could be annoying for a tech build.

Although my recent experience of Alpha Protocol bugs have been through playing on Linux via Wine, I don't think these bugs are specific to how I played it, maybe it could help.