Is Riposte-deplaced image spellblade (wizard-rouge) TANK viable ?

Hey, new to the game, 

Just wondering if a wizard-rouge multiclass can work well as a frontline tank role with riposte and arance veil / deplaced image. 

Also will riposte work while you are casting ? 

Thanks 

If all you want to cast is displaced image I would strongly suggest to go single class trickster.

I made a streetfighter tank rogue that works wonders in veteran. You can see the complete build here.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99676-class-build-the-duelling-corsair/

It could easily be used as a base for trickster, bringing less damage output, but much better tanking and riposte potential, and a lot of utility.

Paladin/trickster is another option because of all the passive paladin buffs, and you still get the additional massive deflection buffs from the trickster’s illusion magic (though the spell options are not quite as good as arcane veil, paladin passives more than makes up for that). You wouldn’t be able to use other spells then, though, like offensive magic that you could cast as a wizard. But this combination would be stronger purely for tanking and access to great healing.

Keep in mind, you need a complete miss and have it be a melee attack (The most dangerous enemies use guns, spells, breath attacks, special abilities, etc, that don’t apply), and even then it is only a chance of happening; I think like 20-30%. I haven’t actually used it in this game, but that was my impression from the first. Considering how massively overpowered other things in the game are right now, it is relatively meh, in my opinion. Still would be very strong, though.

Any build is viable, though, since the game is not hard; even on the highest difficulties.

Edited by Braven

You don’t need to be a trickster for riposte build. Any rogue subclasd is fine. Just set an AI to spam Escape every 4 second or so. And yes one upgrade of Whisper of the endless gives counter attack.

Edited by dunehunter

I made a similar post asking the same and the consensus was that riposte is just not good enough because it's only a 20% chance to activate on a miss. If you're gonna do it then maybe a fighter/trickster multiclass with the cleaving stance so you have the riposte as an extra little bonus for tanking. But still better to use blade turning on monks for 100% damage reflection. I hope they'll buff riposte though.

Hey, new to the game, 

Just wondering if a wizard-rouge multiclass can work well as a frontline tank role with riposte and arance veil / deplaced image. 

Also will riposte work while you are casting ? 

Thanks 

On podt-no.Enemy mages will strip you of buffs ,enemy melee will go through your illusions really fast,most enemy ranged fighters use guns(so veil is useless),your hp is low and you will have low damage mitigation,most of the times you will not survive their alpha strike.Trickster/fighter combo is much better at tanking.

Did somebody check if the modal of the small shield (ACC bonus for next attack when getting missed) applies to Riposte?

The unique palm shield with Nalpasca/Trickster and Riposte could be fun.

Hopefully the put Riposte back to where it was in PoE (20% on miss + 30% on graze).

In its current state it's just bad.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Did somebody check if the modal of the small shield (ACC bonus for next attack when getting missed) applies to Riposte?

The unique palm shield with Nalpasca/Trickster and Riposte could be fun.

Hopefully the put Riposte back to where it was in PoE (20% on miss + 30% on graze).

In its current state it's just bad.

Yeah it's pretty bad atm. The trigger rate is too low now.

Edited by dunehunter

However, the best riposte build right now, is a Battlemage with Whisper of the endless path.

Arcane Veil + Stance + Passive will make sure enough deflection.

Cleave + Charge provides enough aoe. 

You can also use Draining Wall later to prelong your arcane veil duration.