NOT a bugged quest: [Spoilers] The Shadow Under Neketaka

Epimetreus

Question

TL;DR

Ignore this whole thread - nothing’s bugged; I just missed a room exit and spent a lot of time chasing my tail trying to figure out what was wrong.

==========

I got to the “choose your faction” section of the critical path, right before you head to the special island.

I chose to go with the Huana, and Queen Onekaza gave me the quest “The Shadow Under Neketaka” - go talk to Watershaper Guildmaster Mairu to see why she’s not responding to messages.

For various reasons, I had never yet entered the Watershaper’s Guild (wasn’t too interested in using Tekehu this time around). When I got there, the naga attack had happened, and Ekenu and Tekehu were there, but Mairu wasn’t. They told me Mairu was under the guildhall, fighting off the last of the nagas, and suggested I go down below to help her out.

When I went down, I wasn’t able to do anything with the magically locked entrance to the under-guildhall area. I could push it, punch it, and inspect it, but nothing else. I did a bunch of things to figure out what was going wrong, including loading a save from before the faction choice, talking to Mairu / picking up Tekehu, and doing everything over, but nothing worked. I started googling for help and found that Mairu is supposed to be on the main level of the Guildhall when you get there, wounded, and she teaches you an incantation and gives you a quest item Rod to unlock the door below. I even went looking in the game’s data files for a quest ID to see if I could console in some help, but using the DebugAdvanceQuest command didn’t help - there was no way I could see to set the decisions made during the quest. When I did that to close the quest and went back to Onekaza, she treated me as though we weren’t in the endgame.

I’m fairly certain this is a bug, but I don’t know how far back in saved games I have to go to get to a branch that will let me complete the game on the Huana side. Has anyone encountered this?

Since no one else (per Google searches) appears to have posted on this before, I doubt it’ll be fixed soon, so I’m probably going to hold my RPer nose and pick a different faction to finish the game for this playthrough. On my next playthrough I’m planning to make the watcher a Huana; I’ll definitely go visit the watershapers earlier and see if that helps me side with Onekaza.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by Epimetreus

10 answers to this question

Mairu doesn't give you the rod - she tells you to fight nagas who stole it. She should be on the underground level near Periki statue, I believe. This area wasn't locked, I think. Although, I was there earlier, so sorry, if that's not helpful.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I couldn’t find Mairu either in the main level of the Watershaper guildhall or in the underground level before the magic door. Searched carefully, Perception 18 character, had Tab on, etc.

Thanks for the help though.

This bit I understood. I meant, there is a whole level not locked by that door - there are some rooms and the pond. As far as I can remember, you could walk in there freely. Did you see Periki statue?

Do you mean the level where you enter from the street? She’s not in any of those rooms. There are dead naga everywhere; the only live Huana, as far as I recall, are Ekenu and Tekehu. I’m not at my computer so I can’t check directly right now, but if I’m remembering wrong I’ll post about it.

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood.

Yeah, the locked door is for after you explore the rest of that level. It isn't just a small room with the loading stairs and the locked door.

OK, that makes it sound like this whole thing is me just missing some rooms on the downstairs level. I feel pretty stupid. Will check this evening and post what I find. Thanks!