Very playable but Getting Some Stuttering Despite Surpassing Recommended Specs

Torm51

Question

Hey the game is playing great for me so far.  No crashes etc and it runs well enough, but every once in a while no matter what is going on on screen I will get a stutter.  It happens in battles when a lot is going on and it happens when I am just sitting in a tavern reading the bestiary.  It will go from 60 FPS to 20 or so and then back up.  Like I said not a huge deal and I had the same issue in POE 1 but I would like to see if I can do something about it.  Attached is my Dxdiag :)

DxDiag.txt

Have gun will travel.

12 answers to this question

Are you playing full screen or windowed, and how long are your sessions? There is an acknowledged memory leak that slows my fps by about 50% after an hour or more. If you restart your game it picks back up.

If you're running windowed, I always had to alt tab out and back in after EVERY loading screen, for some reason it drops to a static 20 fps on every transition before I tab out and back in. If on full screen, that problem happens maybe once every 5 loading screens. I just minimize and maximize and it goes back to running just fine.

Your problem may be neither of these, but hey maybe you'll get lucky!

• Like 1

Mengths thanks for the reply,

I am playing on full screen.  I think my issue unfortunately might be separate from the memory leak.  I see the leak after about an hour in The Queen's Birth instead of being at 50 to 55 I go down to 30 to 35.  When I exit I am back up to 50 to 55 in Queen's Birth and 60 FPS everywhere else.  What I am seeing is right from the start a sudden lowered FPS to 20 then it shoots back to 60 instantly and stays that way for a while, then I will randomly spike low then back high to stable 60 FPS for 10 minutes (just an average or so sometimes more).

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Some people reported some success in eliminating stuttering by turning off telemetry.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97440-framerate-drops-severely-at-regular-3s-intervals-irrespective-of-graphics-settings/

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Amentep appreciate the reply, :)

Tried that and it got rid of the constant stutter yep, this is just a hitch here and there that happens randomly.  I will try some other things and keep you guys updated.  Maybe I am being too picky.  The game runs really well compared to others.  42 hours and no crashes..yet hah

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

I get a problem like this as well using a GTX 1070. It happens when there are several NPCs on the screen for me (maybe >10). Frame rate goes from 40-60fps to 15-20fps. It's extremely distracting.

Others are talking about it too:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98100-extremely-low-fps-on-high-powered-pc/

That is the thing though, that does not happen to me even with a lot of NPCs.  It is just a random small hitch that happens randomly then I shoot back up to 60 FPS.  Its instant too it does not stay at the low FPS.

Have gun will travel.

I had what I believe to be the same "periodic microstutter" bug that you are describing. The game pretty concistently stuttered/lagged once every 10 or so secconds. What fixed it for me was updating to the latest Nvidia Drivers. No amount of tampering with graphics settings, setting them to the highest possible or the lowest possible values did anything to the stuttering so I figured it had to be a driver mismatch of some kinda AND my Drivers were well over 6 months old. If that doesnt work I did remember POE1 having some weird stutter on some computers that went away by disabling extra wireless/bluetooth networks that you may have, I happened to have one and I disabled it too while the drivers were installing but I doubt that was the fix. Mentioning it anyway just in case.

So I had drivers that were about 1 month old, and upgraded to the ones made for POE 2 and still have the micro stutter.  Thanks for the try though.  I remember hearing about the wireless networks I will look into it.

Update- when looking in device manager I only have my modem for networks.  No extra wireless or bluetooth :(  I never solved this issue in POE 1 either.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

I'm in the same boat as you. Had the problem in Poe1 and it's the same in Deadfire, a stutter that occurs every now and then no matter what I'm doing. Tried all suggested solutions but nothing works...Here's hoping patch nr 2 solves it...