I've been theorycrafting builds for two days...

For me, it'll be the "safe" paladin pick for the first run. Then I'll get bored before finishing the run and swap over to some crazily overpowered min-max build that requires excessive micro-management. Then, before I can finish that run, I'll feel guilty and go back to finish the paladin, only I'll have forgotten a choice I made or grew to dislike some other aspect of the character and so I'll start a fresh paladin. Then I'll switch to...(post carries on in same vein for some time)...and then another Obsidian or similar RPG will come out and the whole cycle will begin again. 

The usual problem with rpgs. You spend ton of time thinking about a PC, change your mind countless times, start to play and spend the rest of the game wondering if you would have liked "the other build".

Not really. The other build is for the next playthrough!

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

For me, it'll be the "safe" paladin pick for the first run. Then I'll get bored before finishing the run and swap over to some crazily overpowered min-max build that requires excessive micro-management. Then, before I can finish that run, I'll feel guilty and go back to finish the paladin, only I'll have forgotten a choice I made or grew to dislike some other aspect of the character and so I'll start a fresh paladin. Then I'll switch to...(post carries on in same vein for some time)...and then another Obsidian or similar RPG will come out and the whole cycle will begin again. 

Honestly this is more or less what happens to me except I barely make it past the introductory sequences before changing, over and over again. I'm going to try to make an active effort to just STICK with the first character I make this time, dunno if I'll be successful in that though. I've put a lot more thought into my character this time around compared to pillars 1, so maybe I will.  

I already know what my first char will be, but the problem is that after deciding for this char I had lots of time to think about what other chars might be great.

And I have a second problem: While I would like to actually role play a game, my min maxing optimization obsession always wins.

I have found a very interesting idea for a build, and than I optimized it so much that not much remained of it except that it still has the same classes.