I'm doing a Pillars 1 run at the moment with the Berathian Priest Tidefall build (This build) and I'm enjoying it a lot but I'm debating some other options and I'm hoping for some advice from some of you.

I know my party is going to be this:

Eder - Main tank (might multiclass Rogue I'm not sure yet)

Pallegina  - Off tank Herald

Aloth - Pure Wizard

Now comes where I'm torn. If I stick with a priest I'll probably roll with Tekehu Druid/Chanter but I'm thinking of using Xoti as a pure priest and playing something different this time around. Once I got Zahua I thoroughly enjoyed how much damage he puts out as unarmed so I'm torn between these options:

Priest/Fighter Cleric as that's how I've been playing my current character anyway (open to recommendations of course)

Monk - not sure on multiclass - I like the idea of this but I also don't like having dead item slots so if I roll a Godlike that's weapon+helm gear that I'm going to be disappointed at not being able to equip

Druid - not sure on multiclass

Basically I want my main character to be doing the most damage in the group and ideally super OP as I always like feeling overwhelmingly powerful in games like this. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would do the most damage with a group like this? 

Also I apologize for what must be the 500th post of this type in a single day but I'm unbelievably torn and can't make my mind up at all, so I could really use some insight from people that know their stuff better than I do.

Thanks

• Like 1

That's interesting actually, what is it that makes that combo so good? 

I'm guessing you mean this:

Finally the Fanatic

Race  - Dwarf or Coastal Aumaua

Might 21 multiplicative

Con 15 life is good

Dex 15 - faster attacks

Perception 5 - all your attacks are with weapons that will benefit from your Weapon Focus

Intellect 17 - for the durations and the AoE on Carnage

Res 5 again a measly loss of one deflection per dropped point

This guy is the biggest monster of them all. Paladin adds so much defensive power its not funny. Put this guy in Plate and he still attacks every 1.3 seconds with his fast speed weapons which goes to  0.9 seconds with Frenzy and Bloodlust. Even raged his deflection is pretty good and he has +5 to his armor from thick skinned and rage. He even gets auras.

His accuracy aura stacks with his weapon focus but the armor boost aura gets overwritten by his Frenzy with Hardy.

I'm thinking he needs to be called the Carbide Chainsaw or maybe Buzz Saw?

The thing which puts me off that is the super low Perception and Resolve. In my current playthrough I had problems finishing quests the way I wanted to because of being gated by both of these stats. Are they still a factor for conversations now or is that not an issue anymore?

Just normalize the stats - do 18 might, pick any two other attributes to put at 15, the rest at 10 -- all will help in different ways, none will kill you to put at 10. The stats (other than might) are less important than the ability combos. You can have both huge defenses and huge damage. Some good synergy I remember Kdubya saying elsewhere, and I can see from the wiki:

- Use berserker subclass, because paladin's mental fortress makes you immune to the berserker confusion effect once you get it.

- paladin armor aura and inspired defenses stack with barb thick skinned for +4 armor boost, so use heavy armor and you'll be taking peanuts in damage from each hit. You could use Goldpact Knight for the +4 armor buff (won't stack with aura, so use accuracy aura) to go even higher. My choice of paladin is about RPing, though, and they are all good. Don't use Kind Wayfarer unless you can get rid of confusion right from the start (party priest?) b/c you'll heal the enemy.

- paladin defense boosts are great to make the barb less fragile. Kdubya used dagger (w/modal) and hatchet (w/modal or not) for even more defenses for a small damage loss. But frankly your armor will be so beastly you might not need that at all (and he might have done that b/c of low resolve, which you are changing). Lots of other good defensive abilities (affliction resistances, self-heal, self-resurrection, etc.) in both classes too.

- Paladin flames of devotion/eternal flames and barb barbaric blow and carnage are beastly. One stands alone, bloody slaughter, bloodlust, blood thirst to top it off -- lots of great offensive abilities.

- definitely do 2-weapon style, both for quicker auto-attacks and full attack abilities hitting twice.

Basically, barb brings the offense and paladin brings the defense, but barb also brings some defense that stacks with paladin's stuff, and paladin brings some offense that enhances barb's stuff. Awesome synergy. 

This is so good it almost is tempting me away from my paladin/chanter tank/support I've been so excited to play.

Edited by TheMetaphysician
  • Like 1

I lol'ed because my last run was exactly like yours (berath  tidefall + eder/pallegina/aloth/zahua), and I'm planning on taking Tekehu as the new companion.

Berath Priest/Goldpact paladin is my choice of overpowered main for deadfire. Along with Edér tank, pallegina offtank/support and Aloth crowd control, Tekehu would help everyone else as an offensive support.

• Like 1

Just normalize the stats - do 18 might, pick any two other attributes to put at 15, the rest at 10 -- all will help in different ways, none will kill you to put at 10. The stats (other than might) are less important than the ability combos. You can have both huge defenses and huge damage. Some good synergy I remember Kdubya saying elsewhere, and I can see from the wiki:

- Use berserker subclass, because paladin's mental fortress makes you immune to the berserker confusion effect once you get it.

- paladin armor aura and inspired defenses stack with barb thick skinned for +4 armor boost, so use heavy armor and you'll be taking peanuts in damage from each hit. You could use Goldpact Knight for the +4 armor buff (won't stack with aura, so use accuracy aura) to go even higher. My choice of paladin is about RPing, though, and they are all good. Don't use Kind Wayfarer unless you can get rid of confusion right from the start (party priest?) b/c you'll heal the enemy.

- paladin defense boosts are great to make the barb less fragile. Kdubya used dagger (w/modal) and hatchet (w/modal or not) for even more defenses for a small damage loss. But frankly your armor will be so beastly you might not need that at all (and he might have done that b/c of low resolve, which you are changing). Lots of other good defensive abilities (affliction resistances, self-heal, self-resurrection, etc.) in both classes too.

- Paladin flames of devotion/eternal flames and barb barbaric blow and carnage are beastly. One stands alone, bloody slaughter, bloodlust, blood thirst to top it off -- lots of great offensive abilities.

- definitely do 2-weapon style, both for quicker auto-attacks and full attack abilities hitting twice.

Basically, barb brings the offense and paladin brings the defense, but barb also brings some defense that stacks with paladin's stuff, and paladin brings some offense that enhances barb's stuff. Awesome synergy. 

This is so good it almost is tempting me away from my paladin/chanter tank/support I've been so excited to play.

goldpact ability and aura do not stack? why the hell is that? that super sucks and makes the ability a LOT less appealing? are you sure about this

Thanks for this, it does sound like it'd be really fun, actually. 

I don't mind low stats so much if they aren't used for conversations any more. I'm sure I read somewhere that stats don't matter for that anymore and it's all from the skills, is this true?

Edited by Revolve

goldpact ability and aura do not stack? why the hell is that? that super sucks and makes the ability a LOT less appealing? are you sure about this

Well, I'm inferring this from the fact that both are active abilities, and the general rule is: passives stack, actives don't.

I don't mind low stats so much if they aren't used for conversations any more. I'm sure I read somewhere that stats don't matter for that anymore and it's all from the skills, is this true?

That, I have no idea about.

Pretty sure this is not true someone else wrote that things that got checked most so far were strength, intellect, resolve but also the skill insight...cant remember which thread tough

That's interesting actually, what is it that makes that combo so good? 

I'm guessing you mean this:

Finally the Fanatic

Race  - Dwarf or Coastal Aumaua

Might 21 multiplicative

Con 15 life is good

Dex 15 - faster attacks

Perception 5 - all your attacks are with weapons that will benefit from your Weapon Focus

Intellect 17 - for the durations and the AoE on Carnage

Res 5 again a measly loss of one deflection per dropped point

This guy is the biggest monster of them all. Paladin adds so much defensive power its not funny. Put this guy in Plate and he still attacks every 1.3 seconds with his fast speed weapons which goes to  0.9 seconds with Frenzy and Bloodlust. Even raged his deflection is pretty good and he has +5 to his armor from thick skinned and rage. He even gets auras.

His accuracy aura stacks with his weapon focus but the armor boost aura gets overwritten by his Frenzy with Hardy.

I'm thinking he needs to be called the Carbide Chainsaw or maybe Buzz Saw?

The thing which puts me off that is the super low Perception and Resolve. In my current playthrough I had problems finishing quests the way I wanted to because of being gated by both of these stats. Are they still a factor for conversations now or is that not an issue anymore?

Would you guys say that this is one of the most (if not, the most) overpowered build?

Probably not, tenacious and hardy give +2 instead of +4 to AR/pen, and eternal devotion gives half the benefit it used to. It would still be a real strong combo, but I'd wager that a devoted berzerker would probably top the melee damage scales. They'd have +4 pen and 47.5% hit to crit, so they would over penetrate on most of their attacks. Carnage and mob stance would create a cascade of dead enemies the moment one died.

They would pose an *extreme* threat to your party though.

Devoted + Monk (nalpazca for maximum potential, shattered for convenient ability spam) or Devoted + street fighter, should be close in effectiveness while being much less dangerous to your party, at the cost of coming online a little more slowly.