What about armor quality? What about special bonuses granted by armor? Those ought to tip the scales, surely

I'm guessing that armor quality will rise at about the same rate as weapon quality so if mundane basic weapons make your mundane light armor worthless and your mundane medium armor only good for avoiding overpenetration then that will continue throughout the game.

Sure some really sweet bonuses or imbued powers on armor will make it worthwhile to use even if it doesn't protect much, but if those same cool effects were on a set of clothes that'd be even better.

To wrap my head around it I'm looking at it as being in a time frame similar to when firearms were becoming prevalent and armor was becoming obsolete. Pirates and Musketeers survive by not getting hit or killing quickly not by face tanking while wearing Gothic Plate. 

Do paladin abilities like flames of devotion and sworn enemy count as spells?

If not, a goldpact shifter might be a solid combo. Bear form puts you at 14 armor with no recovery time malus, with eternal devotion and greater wildstrike you're at 80% lash damage too.