Hello Guys,

I'm a new player of Pillars of eternity, I've just joined the forum and I've already completed the game once with not too much success.

I mean, I didn't collected all the good in game items, weapons, I didn't completed trials of Durance quest, etc.

I just want to know what is a good build for someone that would like to go with a Paladin using two handed swords such as the Tidefall, I've read somewhere that I could use the Ryonna's Breastplate as a good armor so I've purchased the expansions just to get it.

I've created a new Character with these stats:

Bleak Walker

might - 18

Constitution - 13

Dexterity - 10 + 2 for fulvano gloves

Perception - 15 + 3 for resting bonus

Intelligence - 7

Resolve - 15

I don't care that much about the auras, I just want my paladin to be a warrior hard to be knocked down, very accurate and damage dealer, I use the deep faith, veteran's recovery, weapon focus: soldier, two handed style, lay on hands, flames of devotion, liberating exhortation and sworn enemy, It is level 8 I think.

Paladin has 10 athletics for second chance and 5 Lore + 1 in survival for being an explorer.

The only notable item that this character has is the Tidefall and for armor I'm currently using a fine mail armor.

I'm just starting the game again so anything that you could tell me would be appreciated.

P.D. sorry for my English, I'm not a very good englis speaker/writer.

If you've purchased the expansions you might want to get the Bittercut sabre, which does corrode/slash damage, and works well with the Bleak Walker's Remember Rakhan Field talent and the Spirit of Decay talent to achieve a "monster lash" when you use Flames of Devotion. See Blunderboss' build focusing on this. Per the guide, I'd recommend that you boost INT. You'll want a higher INT when you reach lvl 13 and get Cleansing Flames. You could lower CON and RES to 10, and raise INT accordingly. You could then get Veteran's Recovery, which works best with high MIG and INT. You'll find that a paladin with this build will be very sturdy.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your reply, so, would you not recomend me to use a two handed sword? Would it be better for me to use a paladin that has only a sabre for good accuracy? I was thinking on a two handed sword for high two type of damage + the recovery that grants the tidefall and also the accuracy bonus of having more perception... Im trying to base this character in high accuracy and defense, I think that lowering the resolution and increasing the INT will grant me the same will defense(which I like) + the duration + area of effect. Please tell me what do you think of my perception level? Is it necessary?

It's entirely up to you. Generally I always give a paladin the soulbound two-handed sword St. Ydwen's Redeemer to use against vessels. For a Bleak Walker, I would usually given Bittercut as well as the Monsterlash is too good to not use. But it is up to you. Two-handed weapons are slower but pack more of a punch, and are best against high DR enemies. But if you clone Bittercut and dual-wield it you'll rapidly cut down most foes, with the exception of bosses and earth blights.

Another good option is to use the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer Belt + Forgemaster GLoves and use Firebrand as main weapon. It's perfect for FoD strikes and also works very well with Runner's Wounding Shot. Make sure to pick Intense Flames + Scion of Flame as well als Two Handed Style and Savage Attack. Also make sure to choose the Doemenel faction for the Merciless Hand talent. Firebrand is the strongest weapon choice in the early to late game and stays to be viable in the late game whee it need zero resources like Sky Dragon Eyes or Durgan Steel.

With that lowish INT Tidefall is also a good option.

With a Two Hander I'd always recommend Runner's Wounding for an offensive Paladin.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thank you so much for your reply, Boerer, Doesn't the cannoneer belt and the forgemaster belt grants the same ability? I think that having the belt soulbinded up to the last level grants a lot of useful points + the spell that if I combine with a higher intelligence level, it should actually give a larger amount of duration time for the spell. I was thinking on combining with gloves that could give me a different ability such as the Siegebreaker Gauntlets that  could grant me 4 points of resolution to have a better will defense against dominated and such afflictions because, if I spend my class ability build giving this character great attack skills and less than good defense, I think that it will be useless.

unfortunatelly, I'm always at work when I reply so I cannot verify how are my skillpoints and abilities assigned to the character to give you all a better overview of how I'm leveling this character.

I will post something when I get back to my house.

Regards!

Belt gives you 3 uses of Firebrand per rest, gloves give you additional 3 uses - so 6 uses per rest in total. Less resting, more Firebrand. :)

The damage with a Bleak Walker's FoD crit (including Remember Rhakan Field, Intense Flames, Scion of Flame, Merciless Hand, Two Handed Style, Savage Attack and so on) is very spectacular if you use Firebrand. And Runner's Wounding Shot would add a third strike that does similar damage (+80% raw DoT lash is nearly as good as an upgraded FoD strike with lots of burning lashes).

Dual Bitterut (cloned, upgraded to superb+ and refined with Durgan Steel) is better - but all that stuff comes pretty late and costs you a hell lot of resources - while Firebrand is really awesome from the beginning and stays to be viable till the end. And it needs 0 resources. :) You also could simply retrain later for dual sabres if you want the optimum in the late game.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

I see where you're going now. It is pretty useful while playing on higher difficulties, For example, I'm playing hard with almost the stats that dgray62 suggested me and my paladin is very hard to knock out now even if I just have a fine mail armor specially because I am using a combination between damage dealing and Paladin's defensive abilities such as faith and conviction modified by deep faith, I saw them pretty useful while using a two hander because of the lack of deflection. This character does not do the max damage nor have the world's best defense but he accomplish the work, is very hard to knock down, dominated only lasts 6 seconds on him, paralyzed lasts less than what I was expecting for a character with low constitution. What do you think I have to do? keep going with a balanced defense or retrain the character to become a bloody killer?
I mean, It is obvious that I will need to turn Eder into a better tank than what he actually is but, wouldn't my character be so easy to knock down?

I like the balanced approach. Make your paladin hit really hard with FoD and maybe Runner's WS, but also give him good defenses. Deflection is not that important, but a good Fortitude is golden. I personally would also give him Veteran's Recovery (if he hasn't Lay on Hands). Stuff like Righteous Soul is awesome, too. I would also add Fenwalkers Boots, maybe a Tempered Helm and an armor with Breakout (-50% prone and stun duration) and enemies' afflictions can go home. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Hello again Guys, I finally got the stats that I'm currently using on this character.

here they are:

attributes:

might- 18
constitution - 10
dexterity - 12
perception - 15
intelligence - 13
resolution - 10

skills:

stealth - 0
athletics - 10
lore - 5
mechanics - 0
survival - 1

abilities:

sworn enemy
faith and conviction
flames of devotion
lay on hands
liberating exhortation

talents:

veteran's recovery
deep faith
weapon focus: soldier
two hand style

I will include the items that you mentioned before.

Belt gives you 3 uses of Firebrand per rest, gloves give you additional 3 uses - so 6 uses per rest in total. Less resting, more Firebrand. :)

The damage with a Bleak Walker's FoD crit (including Remember Rhakan Field, Intense Flames, Scion of Flame, Merciless Hand, Two Handed Style, Savage Attack and so on) is very spectacular if you use Firebrand. And Runner's Wounding Shot would add a third strike that does similar damage (+80% raw DoT lash is nearly as good as an upgraded FoD strike with lots of burning lashes).

Dual Bitterut (cloned, upgraded to superb+ and refined with Durgan Steel) is better - but all that stuff comes pretty late and costs you a hell lot of resources - while Firebrand is really awesome from the beginning and stays to be viable till the end. And it needs 0 resources. :) You also could simply retrain later for dual sabres if you want the optimum in the late game.

How exactly do you clone items? Console?

You can, but that would be cheating. It also turns off steam achievements.

There's an item in the game that you can gain via stronghold adventure: the Helwax Mold (quest: "The Waxmaker"). It lets you clone one non-soulbound item with any enchantments on it. That way you can have two legendary Bittercut with all the nice enchantments but don't have to enchant twice and use your precious Kraken Eyes/Durgan Steel twice.

I personally would clone Little Savior anytime (if I have at least two shield users in the party), but stuff like Bittercut or Drawn in Spring is also nice to have twice.

Edited by Boeroer

Boeroer, I've did what you suggested before, I now have a better paladin using the cannoneer belt soulbinded to the max level, It is extremely useful because it brings not only the firebrand but also the fire shield and the buff to int, might and constitution. I just need something to avoid being in just 10 resolution, perhaps an item with +3 resolution. My character rarely miss a hit but there are situations for example when I fight with the fighter which is in the first keep in white march expansion, that one has a really brutal deflection level because I only hit some grazes... I honestly don't know what to do against her. her companion is easy to knock out, I just let Kana fight him.

What level are you? Because Crägholdt Bluffs is high level stuff and should be tackled after the White March (Stalwart and so on). Although it came with the White March expansion, Crägholt Bluffs is not part of the White March region but part of its own little plot that will be continued in WMII expansion but has nothing to do with the White March region and the questline there.

Usually your steward also warned you that the Torn Bannermen are to strong for you (yet). So if you are below lvl 10 it's normal that you can't hit the fighters there. Even lvl 10 is tough... Inside Concelhaut's Tower things get even tougher - way tougher.

In Stalwart Village there's the Ring of Changing Heart (you can loot it after the initial battle). It will give you +3 RES.

You could also enchant your armor with +2 RES.

I'm currently level 9 because I've finished up some quests in defiance bay, I came to this place yesterday and I was able to kill some folks in this place but they killed me because there was a large party more in the north of the map.

I just wanted to play a map that could give me some challenge and that's exactly what I've found.

I had to put sword and shield combo to Pallegina because we was so useless, its absurd how the automatic companion leveling system works.

I would like to get grieving mother but I haven't arrived Dryford Village yet. I'm panning to sacrifice Sagani (because I hate her) to the blood pool, I was also thinking on Kana because is annoying but he's actually pretty useful, I want only Hiravias on my party because he have a lot of damage dealer spells but he's weak because is an orlan. Anyway, I have my main paladin which is a super damage dealer now + my 2 tanky hitters with high accuracy and defenses + Aloth, which I don't really know how to make him to hit harder. durance and kana rua are in my party too beacuse of the buffs and summoning spells.