Starting a new game, things to remember

Hey,

I'm going to start a new game since Deadfire will be coming out in a couple o' months. 

Does anyone have tips on making sure I don't miss anything?

Like, quests that should be done before x otherwise they're cancelled.

When to do White march? And when to get the special weapons which you can upgrade by killing x monsters(I picked them up too late in the game and I couldn't complete those weapons).

Trying to get a hopefully complete playthrough without following a walkthrough.

much obliged

• Like 1

I understand, but I completed the game 3 times already(2 after release and 1 after white march p2) and I don't have that much free time to do another playthrough besides this one. I don't expect a perfect playthrough, but tips on the obvious things are much appreciated. 

I really dislike it when I screw up a quest because I explore first, quest later.

• Like 1

I understand, but I completed the game 3 times already(2 after release and 1 after white march p2) and I don't have that much free time to do another playthrough besides this one. I don't expect a perfect playthrough, but tips on the obvious things are much appreciated. 

I really dislike it when I screw up a quest because I explore first, quest later.

3 times...you know way more than I ever did. Maybe try stuff you haven't tried yet? Something that is totally contrary to what you usually do.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

3 times...you know way more than I ever did. Maybe try stuff you haven't tried yet? Something that is totally contrary to what you usually do.

Well this is a recipe for disaster :p. If I do it your way it's guaranteed that I'll have to redo another playthrough for the Deadfire import save. The purpose of this playthrough isn't necesarily to discover new things but rather avoid things people do because of lack of knowledge. For example, the stronghold quest I only ever experienced on my 3rd playthrough.

And knowing myself what would happen is "Oh, I remember I had to do something here first. Last time I probably did this so now I'll do this." *10min later "Ah ****, that's what I thought last time too, now I gotta redo it"

Personally not too fond of the timers(day/night timer and mission timer). For some you just need to sleep a couple of times, for others you need to quest a bit to continue another questline.

• Like 1

Ok, but what is to say that after you've completed your Deadfire imported game playthrough you won't do another one just to see what Deadfire has to offer? In which case, are you going to do another PoE playthrough just so you can have a second one at Deadfire to specifically do something? 

The more I look at it, the more going bananas is the right option. xD

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus
  • Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Play order:

1: Main game up until it's almost time for the animancy hearings at the end of act 2

2: White March 1

3: Back to main game, finish act 2 and go through every area EXCEPT Elms' Reach

4: White March 2

5: Elms' Reach(make sure to bring Aloth! He's the only party member who has a completely unique one-time bit of dialogue here when you talk to the tree women) to endgame

Average challenge level (and quality) is higher in WM so it makes sense to save it for after you've done most of the stuff in the Dyrwood. Optional stuff like bounties and Endless Paths can be done whenever you like, though you may want to save them for later too, once you've got some soulbound items which need some enemies to level up with. Taking the Unlabored Blade down the Endless Paths starting with the top floor was a great feel last time I played.

At the start of the game go to Caed Nua first before doing any side quests, it's tough but the more questing you do after getting Caed Nua the more events you'll get which give you cool stuff.

• Like 2

WM and WM II as well as Endless Paths can be done whenever you like.

I would not go to WM before lvl 8.

I would also not go to Dyrford before lvl 8.

I would not go to Craigholt Bluffs before lvl 10.

Major spoilers ahead:

If you have some points of mechanic you can find some stuff in Valewood that you'd miss otherwise (you can always come back though). Nothing unique.

You can get two spears from the xaurip in Cilant List if you give him Skuldr meat and then kill him.

You can enchant the Disappointer pistol with accurate or fine (any quality enchantment basically) and this will remove the terrible enchantment, making it an ordinary pistol which is great that early in the game.

You can get an early arquebus from Kana Rua.

In order to speak to the Fampyr Lord in Endless Paths lvl 8 you have to do the Undying Heritage quest in Heritage Hill (Defiance Bay). There you will learn the Engwythan Language. While you can progress further without talking to him, a fight is mandatory then. Also you can't reach the last few levels of the Endless Paths without learning Engwythan. You need to invert the passphrase for the door in order to reach the Guardian animat.

If you want maximum support for your Battle of Yenwood Field (defeating Lord Gathbin) you need to buy veteran troops, make friends with one faction (doesn't matter which one), make friends with the ogres in Russetwood (don't kill any ogres inside the cave but instead sneak - easily doable even with 0 skill points) and make friends with the Iron Flail (more tricky, mostly dialogue options with their leader Adaryc). You can still solve the quest/win the fight without any of this. It's just nice to know that you can gather that much support.

If you want to keep the March Steel Dagger (second best dps dagger on game) you can't give it back to Gordy but you have to be aggressive.

You can enchant Cladhaliath with unique stuff even if you didn't choose the Dozens as your faction that give you the quest "the Bronze beneath the Lake". Just go to the dungeon after Act II is complete.

You can get Cloudpiercer if you either join the Dozens or by simply killing Wenan.

If you want to keep Osric's Family Breastplate (beautiful, comes exceptional which is very good so early) you need to attack Penhelm after coming out of Dunryd Row - without talking to him - and later tell Osric's that you had to kill some people for it. Quest solved and you can keep it.

If you want another Talisman of the Unconquerable you have to lie to Okrun after getting it from Lafda (WM, Regrets worth trading) and say that you didn't get it.

If you drop Edér, Pallegina or Aloth into the Blood Pool they will not be there in Deadfire. Also if they die in some other way they will be missing in Deadfire. I don't know about any cameos of other PoE party members, but maybe.

If you want to do the quest "The Champion of Berath" you have to kill Lord Raedric in the early game. Said quest will give you the unique armor "He Carries Many Scars" - it also has a unique helmet that you can buy in Stalwart in WM II if I'm not mistaken.

If you don't kill the dragons you won't get their scales/eyes and so on which are needed in order to enchant weapons/armors to superb and legendary. Exception is Alpine Dragon who drops only gear. You can get said gear (Ryona's Vambraces) by talking to him and having more than 16(?) resolve. Of course if you want to plunder the dragons' hoards you will have to kill them.

If you don't have a rope in the elevator squence in Durgan's Battery WMII a party member might instantly die via scripted interaction.

If you don't have a Diving Helmet at the end of WMII or enough CON or have the Devil of Caroc a party member might drown via scripted interaction.

I'm sure I forgot something, but that's what I remember while lying in my cosy bed. ;)

After the initial patches that removed some quest breaking bugs I never encountered problems with messing up quests so that they don't work anymore (I did over 20 playthroughs (didn't count)). Except of course if you kill people that are involved in solving that quest.

So I would say you can't really break something when you go bananas.

Only bummer: don't jump into the pit on Burial Isle before you are 100% sure you did all the stuff you wanted to do.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ok, but what is to say that after you've completed your Deadfire imported game playthrough you won't do another one just to see what Deadfire has to offer? In which case, are you going to do another PoE playthrough just so you can have a second one at Deadfire to specifically do something? 

The more I look at it, the more going bananas is the right option. xD

That's problems for future me, friend. 1 playthrough at a time :p.

2house2fly, boeroer, much appreciated. Just the info I needed.