Some simple research on power level vs spell/ability

real power level = power level - spell level

For spells:

Spells have two separate accuracy bonus, first is from power level, second is from spell level. In Hold Shift combat info, higher level spell will have an accuracy bonus based on its spell level, level 1 spell get 0 accuracy bonus, level 2 spell get +2 Ability level bonus, level 3 spell get +4 Ability level bonus and so on.

accuracy bonus A = (spell level - 1) * 2 

accuracy bonus B = real power level

damage bonus = ??

projection/jump bonus = class power level / 2

penetration bonus = class power level / 4

duration bonus = class power level * 5%

summon/weapon summon bonus = 0 (only ties to character level)

For ability:

duration bonus = class power level * 5%

Increase power level doesn't give bonus to ability accuracy, but it is weird that Empower will give +20 accuracy to abilities. Same as damage bonus, damage is only tied to your weapon, but Empower will grant bonus to basic damage of abilities.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 5

Ray spells, DoT spells and Projection spells get most benefit from Empower currently because it not only boosts basic damage, but also duration, projection numbers.

Jump spells are weaker than Projection spells because usually there are bouncing penalty when spell jump to another mob, so the more it jumps, the less the damage is. One exception is Bounding Missile which gets stronger when jumping.

Buff spell gets less benefit from Empower since Empower only increase their duration. Specially long duration buff like IronSkin, Spiritshield, Arcane Reflection. IronSkin has duration until the end of combat or under caster gets strike 10 times, so Empower has 0 impact on it right now :)

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

They really should watch out for consistent benefits of empower for all abilities/spells. At the moment some profit immensely while others don't get anything out of it.

Yeah agreed. Empowered Spell like Relentless Storm can stun lock everybody in the area as the stun duration is boosted to 4-5 sec and it has +accuracy.

Without Empower, Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring is already super powerful as it does 500+ damage to the dummy I summoned. With Empower, it can does maybe 1000+ damage on the line of the ray? ;) And also immobilize lock them for hella long time.

Even level 1 spell like Chill Fog, when Empowered, can do over 400 damage in its duration to dummies...

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

But Empower is a per-rest ability that is limited to 1/encounter on top of it. Spells shouldn’t be balanced around the assumption that you’ll Empower them (which I believe they aren’t.)

We still need casting times to be reduced to reasonable levels. As suggested in the other thread, not everything has to be insta-cast, but 6s is way too long (don’t get me started on 9s spells, which are simply out of this world—or Eora’s, really.)

Empower is yet another field in which UI communication is very poor and so is internal consistency (stacking rules being another major offender, along with casting times.) I keep hoping they’ll do a major consistency pass and ensure the UI provides all the information, including actual numbers (I understand fluffy genetic description may be enough for casual gamers, but I want the hard facts in detail.)

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes. Empower is a general feature, not feature of the spells : p

Like we said with dunehunter in another topic :

Buff spell does seem to be weak when Empowered compare to other type, maybe upgrade the Inspiration tier when Empowered?

[About Sworn Ennemy and empower] But no effect seems to be weird. [Note : No duration in this case, and no modified values]

128430DetailledUI.png

+ That would be cool to have more details of empower of each spell/ability, since there is no a "general" rule always relevant.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 6

One issue is based on how power level works now, it has much less benefit to Chanter than other caster.

Empower invocation is a bad idea now, and u can not empower phrases. Refill resource pool is also bad for chanter because half of max phrases is way less than half of Monk resource pool...

One idea is let power level reduce cast time, do u think this will work or not? So empower summon spell = haste it’s cast time.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1