[BUG] Wizard Summoned Weapons Aren't Benefiting from Bonuses to Power Levels

JerekKruger

Question

As far as I can tell Wizard summoned weapons (Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff and Citzal's Spirit Lance) gain a scaling bonus to Accuracy, Damage and Penetration at power levels 3, 5 and (presumably) all odd power levels after that.

This should mean that when a level 3 Conjurer summons Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff it should have +4 Accuracy, +15% Damage and +1 Penetration (since it's a Conjuration spell), but at the moment it has no bonuses and they have to wait till level 5 like non-Conjurers.

The same is also true of the bonus power levels given by the Nature Godlike's Wellspring of Life ability. If, at level 2, you cast, say, Fleet Fleet to activate Wellspring of Life your power level is 3; but if you then cast Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff it summons the version with no bonuses i.e. the power level 1/2 version.

• Like 2

17 answers to this question

Summoned weapons scale Accuracy / Damage / Pen based on the character level, rather than Power Level. Otherwise, summoned weapons would be less viable for multiclass characters. Increased Power Level does affect the duration of summoned weapons. If you right-click on a summoned weapon spell, such as Parasitic Staff, and hover over the duration value, you'll see a tooltip showing the bonus from Power Level on duration.

• Like 1

And that would be bad?

I've spent the afternoon thinking of ways to boost my Power Level on a Devoted/Conjurer build specifically to avoid lagging behind a single-classed Wizard when it came to summoned weapons, so I can't say the news is bad for me :p

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Less spells, no high-level spells or abilities, lower power levels :)

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

And that would be bad?

I wouldn't say so no. After all, one would expect a single class wizard to cast a more powerful version of a spell than a multiclass wizard, and moreover a Conjurer to cast a more powerful version of a conjuration spell than a non-Conjurer, and added duration doesn't really express this (especially since the duration is plenty long enough already).

Added duration isn't usually useful because weapon autoattacks kill so quickly that combat doesn't last very long. 

Once most weapon DPS is slowed down, duration might become more valuable. But iirc it is a pretty long base duration.

Edited by SaruNi

I've only just realised how bad this makes the conjurer subclass (having just fiddled with one). Half the conjuration spells are summoned weapons, so you're essentially trading half your spell options for spells for no advantage (as other people have said +duration is terrible when the base durations are high) and a terrible pet.

Worst subclass?

Now think about tough fights (dragons) potd solo, such fight can take way longer then 2 minutes, most likely re-conjuring new weapon during such fight is like a death sentence.

Summoning weapons should be faster, then it's not a big problem.

Offtop:

P.S is it only me thinking that timeline of implemented ability as a filling circle is kinda poor visible?

Edited by Nail

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

I don’t think that’s what Nail was trying to say. He was actually making a point that summoned weapons should have faster casting times—something there appears to be a strong consensus about on the boards. Anything slower than 0.5s casting with 0.0s recovery makes attacking with your regular weapon a more efficient choice, seeing as summoned weapons in Deadfire aren’t really spectacular.

I also agree they should scale with power level, as part of the general issue with power level being very inconsistent in its application and not impactful enough to make single-class characters appealing.

A subclass having value in PotD solo is such an edge case it almost shouldn't count. The number of people who'll actually ever do that is tiny.

It's the moment when you get the most of the game - maximum awareness and game experience.

All entire game should be built around that option.

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

I guess I stand corrected? :)

I guess I stand corrected? :)

I meant that no abilities should be unperformed.

Summoning time right now seems to be unreasonable decision, still I may be wrong.

Every ability should be viable, no reason to make something just for overall picture, game depth and balance are extremely important if the game intend to be iconic.

And I hope Josh wants to make Deadfire iconic, I so no evil in that.

:)

Edited by Nail

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam