scion of flame + burn damage (enchantment)?

I have to admit I also never take Liberating Exhortation (except when I want Inspiring Exhortation on a Darcozzis because it stacks with everything - which is so important).

It's because I always use prayers and therefore seldomly suffer afflictions I can't handle. But I know every fight in the game, so it's easy to plan ahead. The exhortation is good if you get surprised. :)

Well maybe I am just a bad player.  I know every fight and your front line is going to get hit with something.  and you just cant hang out in front of the Adra dragon with your priest hes going to exploded by a wing slam for instance.  He will likely be far away and out of range for that prayer.  Its good to have a second option as Lib has a much better range.

Secondly, ya you said it for a Darcozzi its that much better.  No reason to skip it imo.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

No, it's just a different way to play. I can understand why you like Lib. Exhortation, it's great. I only need the ability points elsewhere. ;)

My priests are build sturdy and can take some spike damage when buffed. Or I use a a scroll.

And my dragons don't do wing slams. They get charmed instantly and after that they go prone. ;)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Mine were proned this last run too I just ate a wing slams with Eder on the way in but it was just me and him so we regened through it and perma proned the dragon.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

I prefer prayers too, but I find liberating exhortation and suppress affliction useful too. even if you know all fights, you will not always have the corresponding prayer available due to being low-leveled. and there is the most annoying affliction of all: stunned. there is no prayer that makes your whole party immune to it.

by the way, my first TC run ended with a stronghold attack by vithracks. for no obvious reason, the auto-pause did not work for this stronghold attack, and one of the vithracks AoE-stunned my whole party and crit most of my group directly at start of battle. :-). I have never seen such an attack in a regular fight with vithracks, but thats maybe because I kill them too quickly because I scared of them...

I prefer prayers too, but I find liberating exhortation and suppress affliction useful too. even if you know all fights, you will not always have the corresponding prayer available due to being low-leveled. and there is the most annoying affliction of all: stunned. there is no prayer that makes your whole party immune to it.

by the way, my first TC run ended with a stronghold attack by vithracks. for no obvious reason, the auto-pause did not work for this stronghold attack, and one of the vithracks AoE-stunned my whole party and crit most of my group directly at start of battle. :-). I have never seen such an attack in a regular fight with vithracks, but thats maybe because I kill them too quickly because I scared of them...

So for me it comes down to how fast the priest can cast stuff.  If I have rely on him to make us immune to every single affliction that's time hes taking not casting ACC buffs and Circle of Protection.  That being said ACC and Defenses are irrelevant if the team is CCed.  If I have a guy on the team like the Paladin that can help save the Priest Cast times its a win I think.  For instance I take a Fearless on Fighters and Righteous Soul on Paladins (unless its a steadfast build).  A priest can make the party immune to fear but that's time hes not casting devotions of the Faithful.  Now hes got to cast Fear immunity then Devotions.  If my dragon prone team (Fighter and Paladin with Marking/Coordinated Attacks) has Devotions of the Faithful ASAP then I can prone the Dragon ASAP.

I guess there are many ways to do it.

The bottom line for this post was that Liberating Exhortations + Inspiring Lib is as close to a must as you are going to get.

That being said I am a bit curious about at retaliation Darcozzi with Fires of the Darcozzi Palace.  Anyone tried it?

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Fires of Darcozzi Palace is pretty weak. I never tried if it stacks with Potion of Flame Shield though. If you can stack a lot of retaliations then an approach with Combusting Wounds becomes interesting even if the retaliation itself is weak - due to the sheer number of hits you generate when you get attacked.

Battle Forged on a paladin (would stack with Fires oDP) is also not too great because a paladin has few things that can boost retaliation damage - like monks (Turning Wheel, Blood Testament, Rooting Pain), barbs (One Stands Alone, Blooded) and rogues (Deathblows) have.

In itself Fires oDP is not worth a point in my opinion. Don't know why they made it weaker than Flame Shield. Even the original spell is pretty lame.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Being new is making me lost the conversation due the fact my posts cannot be edited and have to wait approval. I checked again Liberating Exhortation and found nothing eye cathing about it or the talents related (liberating exortating, bond duty), they are all skills to be applied on allies and with situational bonuses (like protection from charm). Besided, what you mean by "ACC"?

A Darcozzi Paladin who gets Liberating Exhoration and upgrade it at the next even level. The talent is called "Inspiring Liberation" and adds +10 Accuracy to the ally.

Bond of Duty is for Goldpact Knights so you are looking at the wrong order or something that is out of date.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Inspiring_Liberation Here you go.

Also you are wrong on the nothing eye catching.  It is the single best Exhortation a Paladin has.  In the late game if you do the difficult bounties you will take a huge amount of debuffs like blind and targeted terrifies etc if you are playing on PotD you will get hit at some point no matter how good your defenses.  Enemy accuracy is too high.  If you are blinded and terrified from a spell for example you will not hit a thing and your defenses will be very low.  You will die or be a non factor in the fight.  If you are in a party clearing a Paralyze or Petrify from an ally can change the tide of a fight.  An ally can go from a petrified about to be a knocked out target to cleared and fighting fully party member for a minimum of 20 seconds (base if you have 10 INT).

The only other ability that does this is the priest third level spell and the AOE is TINY and even with a 20 INT it only last 8 seconds.  A Paladin with a 20 INT can cleanse a powerful DPS party member or him/herself and turn them from a CCed useless character to a fully functioning and buffed ass kicker.  This has literally saved my Triple Crown runs more then once.

If you have a priest in the group and play it perfectly every time and are able to get status effect immunity on the entire party every single fight well then you would not need it.  That being said on a Darcozzi I would take it anyway on PotD as Accuracy is DPS and DPS is life in this game.

It has literally saved a Triple Crown Playthrough

Yes, I can testify Liberation Exhortation is a central Paladin ability in the harder difficulties. And giving either a Charm/Confuse/Dominate immunity or Accuracy buff on top of it is super-useful.

No, it's just a different way to play. I can understand why you like Lib. Exhortation, it's great. I only need the ability points elsewhere. ;)

My priests are build sturdy and can take some spike damage when buffed. Or I use a a scroll.

And my dragons don't do wing slams. They get charmed instantly and after that they go prone. ;)

Do you go 1H/shield mode on the Priest? Or the implement mode?

Depends. Actually I never go the implement mode. :)

They are just not very good with implements. I want to give good implements to my wizard or ranger. The more spells the priest gets the more often I will give them a hatchet + shield because he will spend less and less time fighting.

Sometimes I like to give my priest a two hander like Firebrand (works with every priest - Skaen is nice with the Sneak dmg bonuses) or Tidefall or Hours oSR (Berathian Priest) or Llawran's Stick for a priest of Wael.

• Like 1

Depends. Actually I never go the implement mode. :)

They are just not very good with implements. I want to give good implements to my wizard or ranger. The more spells the priest gets the more often I will give them a hatchet + shield because he will spend less and less time fighting.

Sometimes I like to give my priest a two hander like Firebrand (works with every priest - Skaen is nice with the Sneak dmg bonuses) or Tidefall or Hours oSR (Berathian Priest) or Llawran's Stick for a priest of Wael.

Hmmm, is your sturdy Priest build on the forum as well?

I've tried 1H/shield Priest before, and I've had two problems with it. First, they were incredibly squishy, even with Superior Deflection and Weapon and Shield Style. So I couldn't keep them alive. Second, my groups generally lack ranged damage, and making the Priest forgo her implement damage means even less ranged DPS. But I guess I could off-set this by micro-ing more nuke spells out of her - though that requires more rests and more work on my part.

Edit: But given how little auto-attack damage my Priest does anyways, maybe I am not losing that much even if she does no auto-attack damage in melee...

Edited by Lampros

You can do both. Take weapon and shield style on a priest. If he gets heat switch to a shield and cast buffs. With Circle of protection it will be more then enough. Then just focus the offender.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

You can do both. Take weapon and shield style on a priest. If he gets heat switch to a shield and cast buffs. With Circle of protection it will be more then enough. Then just focus the offender.

Yes, I just noticed your post about Circle of Protection today. I've never even cast it. I haven't cast a lot of Priest spells - there are so many, and it's hard to keep track of them! ;) But now I definitely will - if I try to use a 1H/shield Priest again. Do you have a general build?