Maybe - depends if you can get other ACC buffs or enemy debuffs (then you won't need any WF) or if you have to rely on your ACC entirely (like a solo barb or so). At least Weapon Focus stacks with everything while alternatives like Gallant's Focus do not.
Or if the weapons demand max ACC or not - for example for We Toki + Godansthunyr it would maybe better to have +6 ACC each.

Honestly I never took two different WF on one char.

By the way there is a pair of speedy weapons that is in the same weapon group, can be obtained very early and also look good together: Sword of Daenysis (rapier) + March Steel Dagger. Both have WF Noble, both give you +5 ACC and both have speed (Sword of Daenysis is also rending). It's a pretty great setup for any fancy duelist build. With 20 DEX, the speed of the weapons, Two Handed Style, some durgan steel and a speed ability/talent/potion like Outlander's you can wear a Breastplate and pick Vulnerable Attack and still retain 0 recovery (0.6 frames which gets skipped I believe). With Vuln. Attack + Ryona's Vambraces the rapier will have 11 DR bypass and the MS Dagger will have 8. It's viable end-game gear.

Although you have to be a bit of a douche to keep the March Steel Dagger. ;)  

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe - depends if you can get other ACC buffs or enemy debuffs (then you won't need any WF) or if you have to rely on your ACC entirely (like a solo barb or so). At least Weapon Focus stacks with everything while alternatives like Gallant's Focus do not.

Or if the weapons demand max ACC or not - for example for We Toki + Godansthunyr it would maybe better to have +6 ACC each.

Honestly I never took two different WF on one char.

By the way there is a pair of speedy weapons that is in the same weapon group, can be obtained very early and also look good together: Sword of Daenysis (rapier) + March Steel Dagger. Both have WF Noble, both give you +5 ACC and both have speed (Sword of Daenysis is also rending). It's a pretty great setup for any fancy duelist build. With 20 DEX, the speed of the weapons, Two Handed Style, some durgan steel and a speed ability/talent/potion like Outlander's you can wear a Breastplate and pick Vulnerable Attack and still retain 0 recovery (0.6 frames which gets skipped I believe). With Vuln. Attack + Ryona's Vambraces the rapier will have 11 DR bypass and the MS Dagger will have 8. It's viable end-game gear.

Although you have to be a bit of a douche to keep the March Steel Dagger. ;)  

For this set-up, I want to try PotD, and I am also set on trying not having a shield user. So I am trying to optimize as much weapon DPS as I can on the two front-liners and not just rely on Chanter/Paladin AoEs. The two front-liners will be either two Paladins or one Paladin and one Fighter. One of them will definitely dual wield (hence the question), and the other will either also use dual wield or go for a big 2H like Tidefall. But I guess given that there will be so many mobs in PotD, having 1 front-liner take a more CC-centric approach is not so bad either? (Of course, Barbarian may be best for that, and I am inclined to not take one for a first PotD run).

You could try a duelist monk with Torment's Reach and the weapons I mentioned. Torment's Reach + two speedy weapons that also give +5 ACC each is perfect for Torment's Reach. Tons of AoE damage. And Force of Anguish is the best single target CC ability in the game. It also profits from the +5 ACC of the weapons and the speed because you can send several people onto the floor in seconds. It's a lot of fun. Also monks have huge endurance and health pools and therefore don't struggle as much when they are used as shield-less frontliners.    

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

You could try a duelist monk with Torment's Reach and the weapons I mentioned. Torment's Reach + two speedy weapons that also give +5 ACC each is perfect for Torment's Reach. Tons of AoE damage. And Force of Anguish is the best single target CC ability in the game. It also profits from the +5 ACC of the weapons and the speed because you can send several people onto the floor in seconds. It's a lot of fun. Also monks have huge endurance and health pools and therefore don't struggle as much when they are used as shield-less frontliners.    

No Monk for me - yet. Too micro-intensive. Also, the lore of the class never appealed to me - in any RPGs. I was also trained as a monk (of the Zen Buddhist variant), so I guess there is some subconscious revulsion against the idea.

I just looked at some of the rapiers and daggers you mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, and it dawned on me that I am only losing -1 Accuracy even if I do not choose the relevant Weapon Skills. So to make an Aragorn-like RPG Paladin, I think I will start with a sword main-hand and a dagger or rapier off-hand set-up. In particular, the Daenysis rapier's +3 DR by-pass means that it is in most fights comparable to slower 1H weapons in terms of actual damage, no?

You mean damage per hit? In the beginning the damage per hit is better against foes with ≥ 3 DR. But with every damage bonus the slow one handers will get better until they take over. But a rapier is faster even without speed enchantment - and this one has speed. So damage per second is usually a lot better than the average slow one-hander's.

It's a good weapon, often overlooked. But it's obviously a terrible choice for FoD or Runner's Wounding Shot. But it's a fitting weapon for Darcozzis - and those can always use an arquebus, pistol, great sword or estoc (style-wise) for FoD - especially if they don't use a weapon focus anyway.

• Like 1

You mean damage per hit? In the beginning the damage per hit is better against foes with ≥ 3 DR. But with every damage bonus the slow one handers will get better until they take over. But a rapier is faster even without speed enchantment - and this one has speed. So damage per second is usually a lot better than the average slow one-hander's.

It's a good weapon, often overlooked. But it's obviously a terrible choice for FoD or Runner's Wounding Shot. But it's a fitting weapon for Darcozzis - and those can always use an arquebus, pistol, great sword or estoc (style-wise) for FoD - especially if they don't use a weapon focus anyway.

Ah, ok. I did not consider how many different damage bonuses can accrue. Since this will be for a FoD dual wield Paladin, then I may just use either waxed Bittercut or Purgatory/Resolution for the off-hand then.

I built a dual wielding rogue that used the groupings for dagger and stiletto weapons (so at the very least he had two damage types). I got other buffs I could that would help, like Flick of the Wrist at Gref's Rest. By late game he was pretty much an unstoppable damage dealer. I don't remember the exact stiletto I used most, but the March steel dagger was the dagger I used primarily. I haven't done the dual weapon focus on any other character, but it seemed to be a good choice for my rogue. My favourite MC to date. For a while I had a couple different weapons with different slaying enchantments, especially in the early game. But in the latter game it didn't really matter that much (although I kept one with the beast slaying enchantment to help with some dragon purging).

Joe

• Like 1

I built a dual wielding rogue that used the groupings for dagger and stiletto weapons (so at the very least he had two damage types). I got other buffs I could that would help, like Flick of the Wrist at Gref's Rest. By late game he was pretty much an unstoppable damage dealer. I don't remember the exact stiletto I used most, but the March steel dagger was the dagger I used primarily. I haven't done the dual weapon focus on any other character, but it seemed to be a good choice for my rogue. My favourite MC to date. For a while I had a couple different weapons with different slaying enchantments, especially in the early game. But in the latter game it didn't really matter that much (although I kept one with the beast slaying enchantment to help with some dragon purging).

Joe

On a Paladin with multiple roles, I have decided that getting two Weapon Focus talents may be too much. Besides, the daggers and rapiers Boerer pointed out all have +5 Accuracy enchants anyways, so I am only losing -1 Accuracy by not taking a Weapon Focus, if I choose those weapons. On a Fighter, I might still do this - though I am not sure how many spare talent points I will have, given that I've never played a Fighter.

Edit: Hmmm, I forgot that DPS Fighters will likely get Weapon Specialization, too. So that's really 2 talent points I need. Probably not worth it here either :(

Edited by Lampros

It's always a matter of "focus". Get it? I slay me. (Hey that should be a weapon enchantment.) :biggrin:

Me, I hate to give up any accuracy points. But then, I'm also a big believer in Perception as a primary attribute. Or at leas pumped up with items and resting if I decide to sacrifice it in my build.

But then I also couldn't figure out which attribute I needed to keep from getting Stunned so much.

Yes, I admit it. I prefer playing by intuition as much as I can get away with it. That is, until I am playing solo and keep getting stunned and paralyzed.

Joe

• Like 1

It's always a matter of "focus". Get it? I slay me. (Hey that should be a weapon enchantment.) :biggrin:

Me, I hate to give up any accuracy points. But then, I'm also a big believer in Perception as a primary attribute. Or at leas pumped up with items and resting if I decide to sacrifice it in my build.

But then I also couldn't figure out which attribute I needed to keep from getting Stunned so much.

Yes, I admit it. I prefer playing by intuition as much as I can get away with it. That is, until I am playing solo and keep getting stunned and paralyzed.

Joe

Yeah, I am getting worried about Accuracy in my PotD run, after seeing that my Perception 12 Paladin main was only at 31 percent to hit against level 2 spiders (!). I started a separate thread on this, but do I need more than just Zealous Focus/Coordinated Attacks on Paladin and Inspiring Radiance on Priest I am planning? As in, do I need Marking and Coordinating weapons as well? And what else?