Bug: Unable to roll back Obsidian Edition back to Standard Edition

Strannik_2

Question

Hi,

I've purchased Obsidian edition yesterday on Steam, without realizing that that it makes game easier, since it comes with already unlocked all rare and epic cards.

Since I play RPGs and strategic games for a challenge, and this Obsidian edition seems to have a distinct "pay to win" flavor, I've decided to uninstall the game, and then requested a refund from Steam (around 12AM today}), so I could afterwards get a Standard edition of your game instead, which doesn't come with all these powerful cards already unlocked.

I got my refund about two hours later, at 2AM today (after uninstalling the game first). So at this point the game was removed from my Steam library (at 2AM today). Then I purchased your game again (couldn't do it before, due to it being in my steam library), this time a Standard edition.

However, after installing this Standard Edition I've just purchased, to my big frustration, it turns out that all my players data is the same! I still have 5000+ gold, and I have all legendary cards unlocked - from Obsidian Edition I no longer have. :((

It is clearly a bug.

So I really need you help, please: my Steam account is vbrik1. Please reset my account (cards/gold) to the Standard Edition that I've purchased. (in other words - please remove all these epic unlocked cards and gold that were mistakenly kept on my account due to some bug - I don't need and I don't want it. )

Thank you very much!

Edited by Strannik_2

5 answers to this question

The problem is undoubtedly the back-end consistency held for your account. They track your progress in the cloud in order to keep it consistent between the mobile and PC versions - a refund on Steam wouldn't cause them to un-do that (if they even have the ability to track at that precision to undo exactly and exclusively what you were granted).

It also seems a very easy exploit, should they not delete someone's account in retaliation, to 'buy' everything in the mobile version by buying the Obsidian Edition on Steam, then refunding it.

And you are most certainly correct that the Obsidian Edition is implicitly a much easier game, due to the huge capability for filling your starting decks with ludicrously powerful cards from the stash (And that some character alts are statistically better than their normal versions)... I'm just not sure if it can be un-done, I'm afraid.

EDIT: As Parody pointed out, though, you can mimic the same effects/difficulty by turning off Treasure Cards from the options menu. Your choice whether to use the character alts or not. They're *mostly* balanced, just tend to favor one of two specific role cards for a character.

Edited by Yewstance
  • Like 1

Thank you for your answers guys, appreciated.

Question:
Correct me if I am wrong, but if I understand correctly, you can still find epic and legendary cards in gold chest and as quest rewards even in Standard edition, right? You just don't have them all unlocked prior to starting the game, so you would have to find them first inside Gold chest, and possibly to receive them as quest rewards, correct?

So if I turn off these "treasure cards" in options for "story mode" (as I already done), would it not means that even all epic and legendary cards that I will eventually found inside gold chests and as quest rewards would not be available to me in the scenarios, just as these few hundreds "treasure" cards from obisidan edition?

If it is correct, that doesn't seem fair, since otherwise what's the point of getting them as rewards in normal Standard game in the first place?

Please tell me that I am missing something here... ;(

Edited by Strannik_2

Yeah, if you "Turn off" Treasure cards in story mode you will never find them and you'll get to play the game as it was originally released in it's physical form. Besides, just because you have a treasure card unlocked it doesn't mean you get to use it in you character deck straight away. In order to use any card other then one with "Basic" trait (treasure or normal) in your character's deck you first need to find it during the scenario. There are few cards that I never got to see during play (and I played a lot) even tho I have it unlocked.

Another thing you get with Obsidian edition is all 11 character alts and future DLC's (Goblin packs) for free... you can get Alts pack for 5€ and I guess both goblin packs will be priced the same, meaning you get a small discount on them if you get Obsidian edition at this point.

Edited by Ripe

A couple more notes regarding Treasure Chests:

1. Treasure chests are never a reward. They are only purchased (via real-world currency or in-game gold), or given out by promo codes or other specific purchases. There are specific exceptions, like when they removed Quest Mode and they gave out some chests.

2. Treasure chest cards are not from the original Rise of the Runelords set/game, and are largely made of cards from other sets of the card game and some exclusive digital cards (I think). So if you want to emulate the experience of the board game as closely as possible you would play without them.

3. The recent 'Stash' that was introduced with the PC version allowed you to instantly throw treasure cards found from Treasure Chests into your character decks (via the stash) rather than mixing them into the properly-numbered adventures/scenarios. This lets you use boons that are strong enough to be from decks 5 or 6 from the very beginning, if you're lucky with what you open. Which makes the game a lot easier, and makes 'searching for better cards' next to irrelevant, dramatically changing the strategy of gameplay. I believe cards that were simply given as part of the Obsidian/PC editions have to be found in scenarios as normal, so they don't really interfere with the strategy, besides deviating from the balance of the board game a bit.

"Balance" can be debated back and forth here, but the important thing is that Treasure cards do not emulate the original board game. If you just want a greater variety of cards to acquire; by all means, keep them on. As for the feeling of 'progression', of getting more, then the Treasure Chests kind of (sort of) allow that, but they also break the balance quite a bit because of the Stash letting you auto-equip them. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Obsidian Edition... but I'm against the Stash as well, and a whole suite of other changes made with the PC release, so I'm probably not the best person to ask some of these things with.