[class build idea] Variation of Bittercut Pally

Has anyone tried a GoldPact with firebrand gloves? Secondary weapon: Tidefall.

Single target damage seems like it would be severe for FOD alpha.

Enduring flames is a 50% DOT (lash I think) over 10 a base of seconds (most likely adjusted by INT ).

I think the Bleak Walker talent is a 25% lash

Boreal Dwarf, I haven't thought through the talent order, but I'd replace lesser frenzy with the 20% versus wilder talent if deciding to wear frenzy proc plate armor. 

Mig 21   Dex 14 weapon focus greatsword Con 4   Int 18 crit aura Per 18   Res 3 intense flames       2 hand style       lesser frenzy       scion of flame       enduring flames       app sneak

Yes, Firebrand has good synergy with the paladin and it's one of the most powerful weapons in the game. But having to rest after each fight to be able to use it is the reason you can't effectively build around it. Just for the alpha strike the best solution is to open the fight with an arquebus (or two).

Enduring Flames had fixed duration the last time I checked - that means it will always do 4 ticks and the total damage will be reduced by the full burning DR of the target. The good thing is the 50% damage is further increased by your might (because it's a DOT) - with 20MIG it does 65%dmg and with 30mig it does 80%dmg. It also stacks and coupled with Sworn Enemy it can be devastating against bosses.

• Like 1

If you are in a party then normally 1 use of Firebrand is enough. So you can do 3 fights with it.

I usually put it on Pallegina with Scion of Flame because she wants that anyway and there's nothing more powerful that early in the game. You can cling to it if you don't want to use Arms Bearer or switch arquebuses. If you add Runner's Wounding Shot it's better than arquebuses in my opinion because you don't need additional weapon slots.

Enduring Flames and Runner's Wounding Shot are both better with low INT - but that's not so great for Firebrand and for paladins in general.

In the late game - with Durgan Steel and burning lash - Hours of St. Rumbalt nearly does the same FoD damage on crit and also crits more often, causing prone. Tidefall will also be better maybe. But before that Firebrand is supergood. Especially if paired with Merciless Hand and other crit bonuses. And with Sworn Enemy, Zealous Focus and FoD crits are common.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Enduring Flames had fixed duration the last time I checked - that means it will always do 4 ticks and the total damage will be reduced by the full burning DR of the target.

Are not DOTs supposed to go against 25% of target's DR?

Vancian =/= per rest.

Yes. But 4 ticks with 1/4 (aka 25%) damage each against 1/4 (25%) DR is the same like the whole damage against full DR. So the complete (added up) damage of Enduring Flames had to overcome full DR.

Edited by Boeroer

Yes. But 4 ticks with 1/4 (aka 25%) damage each against 1/4 (25%) DR is the same like the whole damage against full DR. So the complete (added up) damage of Enduring Flames had to overcome full DR.

Thanks. I failed at reading.

Total damage being reduced by full DR makes a lot of sense. More DOTs should work like that.

Vancian =/= per rest.

There are different DoT effects. Things like wounding, (Runner's) Wounding Shot and others have a fixed amount of overall damage an more INT just stretches the time in which that damage is applied, which is not good. Other DoT effects like Deep Wounds and Envenomed Strike don't have that fixed overall damage but will do more damage with higher INT because more damaging ticks are added.

It's stupid that there are different kinds of DoT, but it's like that. 

There are different DoT effects. Things like wounding, (Runner's) Wounding Shot and others have a fixed amount of overall damage an more INT just stretches the time in which that damage is applied, which is not good. Other DoT effects like Deep Wounds and Envenomed Strike don't have that fixed overall damage but will do more damage with higher INT because more damaging ticks are added.

It's stupid that there are different kinds of DoT, but it's like that.

Has anyone recorded the various types of DoTs and their effects? I mean do ability based DoTs and/or spell based DoTs perform differently than DoTs from items? To me it would make sense that they would. DoTs triggered from items should be a set value. INT should only be a factor if the effect is directly initiated by the characters ability or spell.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.