That's what Area of Effect Highlighting is for.

Incidents like the one the OP described are also easily avoidable by simply not using AoE spells or abilities that are very likely to backfire in crowded close quarters combat situations.

I think the "issue" is, and it's the same in BG, that NPC can twitch unpredictably and suddenly they're standing in your targeted AoE. I can relate somewhat to OP, as it has happened to me too (not exactly this instance, but I can recall in BG, "Oh for f's sake!" *loads game*"). Also having targeted an area, and pausing with Fireball mid-air as you see the NPC move, sighing, palm on face, "God dammit" :p

It can be funny, but it can also mean having to forfeit a winning fight, a difficult one as well.

Obsidian has made a solution in the re-targeting feature implemented for Deadfire, so... it's already fixed.

But it poses an interesting question... isn't the NPC standing there part of the challenge and difficulty of the encounter? Both having to protect it and also considering spell targeting?

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 3

But it poses an interesting question... isn't the NPC standing there part of the challenge and difficulty of the encounter? Both having to protect it and also considering spell targeting?

Indeed. Presumably hostage rescuers avoid the use of grenades, even though grenades are rather handy in room clearing operations. It doesn't seem that strange that in the situation described by the OP we should avoid using AoE spells that do friendly fire.

• Like 4

I can think of 2-3 solutions, pretty straight forward:

A) Caged NPC, fixed position (prisoner in Skyrim, awaiting execution, don't remember what town...).

B) NPC commenting "Woah! You got a bit reckless there!" after combat, also giving you less experience~reward, instead of them attacking you during combat.

C) Temporary Player controlled NPC.

After all, it's the unpredictability of the siuation that seems to frustrate people. Then again, hitting that critical hit gives you the win, and no one complains, but not getting it, and losing, no one has any problem against

Edited by Osvir

• 2 weeks later...

What needs fixing: I'd like more things to spend money on than I can possibly fund. Toward the end of PoE I had a ridiculous amount of money and nothing worth buying. If the game isn't going to provide super-expensive magic item goodies, then perhaps it needed virtual assets to purchase that would improve relations, enhance prestige, subvert something, or just to feel good. &c. Why couldn't I fund a new hospital wing in the outer island colonies and get a nice thank you for it? Maybe a mention of it in NPC conversations?

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."