Hello,

I beat the game a couple of times on hard and now I'm about halfway through the game on POTD. 

This is actually my second attempt ; on my first run (with a Wiz), I played all the way to the swamp dragons fight, got my ass kicked 5 or 6 times, then moved on to other life priorities and stopped playing the game for about a year.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through the game and my party looks like this :

Front : Eder, Pal

Mid : Dual-wielding Rogue MC

Back : Aloth, Custom Priest

So there's room for one more character. I'd like to avoid playing more custom adventurers if possible.

The big issue here is that my Rogue is really glass canon-like, she does 3 times the damage Eder does but once she kicks the bucket I lack a plan B to cut through that dragon thick skin. 

I tried Maneha with a pike, and she's amazing at killing Xaurips but against dragons I don't feel like that's gonna help me at all. Maybe try Zahua instead of Pallegina ? I have zero experience with monks so I don't know how viable they are for DPS. Eder and Pallegina are very good at not dying, which helps me a lot to sneak around with my Rogue so idk.

Sagani could be an interesting option if I had any idea how to build her right. Is gun-wielding Sagani a thing ? Should I give up on upgrading the pet entirely ? 

Upgrade the pet and use a bow if you want to optimize your ranger.

Your group is quite balanced overall, so there's no obvious choice.

Ranger are really good, but pets tend to die against hard bosses, and their awesome DPS drops a bit against high DR.

Monks are really balanced. Even an almost naked monk is quite tanky, they have great DPS especially if built for it and they really shine in hard battle. So why not Zahua ?

Edited by Elric Galad

You can give the paladin Coordinated Attacks and Shame or Glory. He can buff any other party member's acc by 20 stackable points. Helps a lot against dragons.

Then you could take a monk with focus on high move speed and The Long Pain who can bodyguard the rogue a bit. Give him Durance's Staff. Once he gets 2 wounds summon the Long Pain and fire away at stuff. With Force of Anguish and the ACC buff from priest and paladin he has good chances to cause long prones on dragons.

Against mobs he will have great AoE damage via Torment's Reach and single target damage of The Long Pain is insane. Against crush immune foes use Durance's Staff which has burn as secondary damage type and can also be used from second row (reach). Great char to have in the party.

Zahua works very well with this.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 3 weeks later...

So there's room for one more character. I'd like to avoid playing more custom adventurers if possible.

The big issue here is that my Rogue is really glass canon-like, she does 3 times the damage Eder does but once she kicks the bucket I lack a plan B to cut through that dragon thick skin. 

I tried Maneha with a pike, and she's amazing at killing Xaurips but against dragons I don't feel like that's gonna help me at all. Maybe try Zahua instead of Pallegina ? I have zero experience with monks so I don't know how viable they are for DPS. Eder and Pallegina are very good at not dying, which helps me a lot to sneak around with my Rogue so idk.

Sagani could be an interesting option if I had any idea how to build her right. Is gun-wielding Sagani a thing ? Should I give up on upgrading the pet entirely ? 

As I recall, barbarians aren't all that well suited to dealing with single very tough enemies.  Their overall skills are aimed more towards dealing with mobs of enemies.

For dealing with something like dragons, a bow armed ranger is a good option, particularly for keeping up a constant stream of damage.  Rogues are also good vs. single tough opponents, and perhaps with rifles.  When you see the enemy is below 50% start using the Rogue's death blows with a rifle and sooner or later you'll get a massively damaging hit on the big bad.

As for Pallegina and Zahua, I like both of them, each in their own way.  Pallegina may not be the biggest, baddest front liner, but she's always been more than capable of holding her own.  And having her as a backup healer in tough battles has come in handy quite often.  And Zahua is just fun to play, once you get a handle on how to use monks decently.  In fact, having Zahua and a cipher in a very high level party is just plain nasty when the cipher can cast Reaping Knives on Zahua.