Monsters of the Deadfire Archipelago

Just came across this book again in POE, and the description of these monsters leads me to believe there will be large scale battles similar to dragons, but this time with sea creatures. Examples:

1. Barbed Ravager - giant shark, 30 feet long (Jaws was about that long) - rams ships

2. Winding Serpent - smaller than the ravager, but can be longer, like a barracuda - also rams ships

3. Leviathan - 10 times the size of the largest whale you have seen - large enough to consume a ship whole (will we be pulled inside one?)

4. Polpovir - human sized octopus men that have tentacles for legs and can walk on land

All in all, very interesting creatures, and looking forward to how these are implemented (if they are).

Edited by floredon
  • Like 1

I'm wondering for Deadfire.. seems like the theme all revolve around "sea" or "pirates". I don't hate sea or pirates.. but i dont like it so that whole game all revolves around that theme. I hope we can see more locales other than just the sea or under ocean?

• Like 1

I'm wondering for Deadfire.. seems like the theme all revolve around "sea" or "pirates". I don't hate sea or pirates.. but i dont like it so that whole game all revolves around that theme. I hope we can see more locales other than just the sea or under ocean?

Looks like there's more variety than that from the screenshots on the fig page:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?utm_source=Obsidian&utm_campaign=CF17&utm_medium=Forum

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Given all the screenshots we've seen have been deserts or jungles, and they've been talking a lot about how excited they are to do that kind of terrain, I think you'll be okay! :) I doubt we'll see much actual under-ocean, as a 2D engine doesn't allow for swimming and they'd have to have special codes for all the spells, ranged weapons and so on. Buildings under the sea, maybe, but like, using magic or wearing diving suits? I'd be surprised to see that.

In fact, I think this forum kind of has the opposite problem - I think a lot of people are assuming that there will be extremely elaborate sea-battles (a lot of people keep pointing to Assassin's Creed's sea battles, which is hilarious given this is an isometric party-based game!), tons of complex sea action and so on, and I suspect that there will be relatively little and/or it will get resolved by illustrated choose-your-own-adventure dialogues, at least until one of the ships gets boarded (or rammed by a sea creature).

I will be pretty shocked if all four creatures the OP mentions aren't in the game in some form, and I think he's right to assume we'll end up inside a leviathan at some point (probably with some kind of twist, like it's undead or something - but maybe Dwarf Fortress' zombie whales have traumatized me so much I live in fear of them...).

Edited by Eurhetemec