We need the option to pass on a boon

The only time you'll ever use it is when you get an Item you were going to keep anyway, and you get to banish the Item you were going to banish at the end of the scenario anyway a few turns early.

That's not entirely true. What if, when you encounter that really awesome item you really, really want to have, the only item that you happen to be holding in your hand is another awesome item you really, really don't want to lose

Assuming that the rule of being able to pass on a boon is implemented, why on earth would you explore the Vault with an Item you really don't want to lose as the only Item in hand?

Basically, your question is 'what if you do something really stupid'? To which my answer would be 'you pay the price for being really stupid'.

Having thought a bit about this one, I will make one proviso. Special Item Loot cards are given as a reward for completing scenarios. You should get to keep the rewards for completing scenarios unless you explicitly opt to give them away.

Having a location take away your rewards permanently and irreversibly with no way of ever getting them back is very definitely Not Ok.

The only time you'll ever use it is when you get an Item you were going to keep anyway, and you get to banish the Item you were going to banish at the end of the scenario anyway a few turns early.

That's not entirely true. What if, when you encounter that really awesome item you really, really want to have, the only item that you happen to be holding in your hand is another awesome item you really, really don't want to lose

Assuming that the rule of being able to pass on a boon is implemented, why on earth would you explore the Vault with an Item you really don't want to lose as the only Item in hand?

Basically, your question is 'what if you do something really stupid'? To which my answer would be 'you pay the price for being really stupid'.

Because you play a single character? Or maybe because that is the only open location? In the end, it doesn't matter. Exploring a location (regardless of your hand composition) is not "doing something really stupid"... The location is called "Vault of Greed" so if you're greedy and take something from it you deserve a punishment. If you resist the temptation, great.

But as Borissimo pointed out, ability to pass on boons is one of the rules of the game! That alone mean it should not be a question of whether it should be implemented or not... the question is why it isn't implemented already! The same goes for permanent removal of basic boons and banes following completion of AD2 (and elites following completion of AD4)... another rule that Obsidian choose not to implement which is actually detrimental to the game experience.

The same goes for permanent removal of basic boons and banes following completion of AD2 (and elites following completion of AD4)... another rule that Obsidian choose not to implement which is actually detrimental to the game experience.

I actually support Obsidian on this rules divergence.  It is hard to balance permanent card removal and infinite replays.

In tabletop, you only had a limited number of opportunities to remove basic/elite cards.  In digital, the ability to play completed scenarios over and over again would give you far too much ability to shape the decks.  If you wanted to stay true to the rules, you wouldn't be able to banish cards in scenarios that you have already completed.

The compromise they came up with, the "Culling" system, randomly removes a percentage of Basic/Elite cards.  That percentage ramps up as you increase in AD.  And it also works with Quest Mode, so the player has a somewhat consistent experience between the two game types.

Anyway, rather than getting too off-topic, it probably deserves to be split off into another thread someday.

• Like 2

The same goes for permanent removal of basic boons and banes following completion of AD2 (and elites following completion of AD4)... another rule that Obsidian choose not to implement which is actually detrimental to the game experience.

I actually support Obsidian on this rules divergence.  It is hard to balance permanent card removal and infinite replays.

In tabletop, you only had a limited number of opportunities to remove basic/elite cards.  In digital, the ability to play completed scenarios over and over again would give you far too much ability to shape the decks.  If you wanted to stay true to the rules, you wouldn't be able to banish cards in scenarios that you have already completed.

The compromise they came up with, the "Culling" system, randomly removes a percentage of Basic/Elite cards.  That percentage ramps up as you increase in AD.  And it also works with Quest Mode, so the player has a somewhat consistent experience between the two game types.

Anyway, rather than getting too off-topic, it probably deserves to be split off into another thread someday.

And I'd be perfectly fine with being unable to replay a scenario I successfully completed. That and allowing us to mix parties in story mode are two "improvements" I could do without.

Oh boy, are you going to love Cannibal Haunt if you hate the Vault of Greed.

Haunt is different considering you can banish ANY card... which most often end up being a blessing.

Then again, with a bit of luck (and massive scrying), you can end that scenario without encountering a single Haunt!

Oh boy, are you going to love Cannibal Haunt if you hate the Vault of Greed.

Cannibal Haunt if you manipulate it well, can even help you. A lot of my chars still had weak cards i didn't mind banishing (I don't reply scenarios I win, so my decks aren't always fully perfect) so banishing a weak card often meant I could pick a better one at the end of the scenario... .Except for Seelah, who banished an armor to be stuck with a rusty armor.... which brings me back to my point about passing on boons :)

• Like 1