Please help me to choose a Main Character

Yea ofc, my point was not about the cipher but missing out on having a chanter.

A cipher is less essential to a pary than a chanter.

Ofc both are super strong classes, but then again all classes except rogues bring something unique to your party.

I don't think a Chanter is essential to a party either. Sure it buffs the party, but other than that it doesn't bring any battle control at the start of battle like a Cipher does. If I had to choose between a Cipher and a Chanter I'd pick a Cipher each and every time. Sure a Chanter can make your entire party stronger and the enemy weaker and gets some great spells later on, but a Cipher can prevent your party from being attacked right from the get-go. Don't get me wrong, I like having a Chanter on the team. I always have one, but I wouldn't call it essential. Especially on normal mode.

The utility of all the different chants is just very awesome.

Ancient Memory is also quite good.

In low level it's just very noticable if you get +10 ref, will and fort, healed constantly and also do raw dot.

At level 9 the chanter is a god compared to other classes.

I for the first time waited till level 9 to got to WM, so I could upscale it.

Went to Galvinos at 9 and died in my first attempt at the tirst mobs, since I didn't do enough damage to the ranged/magic ones.

2nd attempt I just aggroed those with Kana, so his dragon thrash aura reaches them and the fight was ez.

(I only had three guys pala, GM and chanter so I didn't have any spells except those dependent on focus build)

Then when you get to the high level chants you can just make yourself invulnerable with damage shield or use stuff like dragon slaying or burn damage bonus.

A Chanter can do his thing every single fight. No need to hold back spells, no need to rest just go all in every time. Ciphers are also like this, I really dislike the per rest type.

Personally I prefer having the +25% fire lash as the focal point of my chants instead of Dragon Thrash. With my team of hard hitting melee - Juggernaut 3.0, Devil. Kana and Pellaginna - the extra lash helps everyone hit even harder. Plus since it does not stack on itself it gives me the ability to weave in another chant rather than just stacking Dragon Thrash and waiting for everything to die.

At the start, the only really tough time, a Chanter with Ancient memory and the other regen chant makes a huge difference as does the +10 fortitude. much better than a Priest at low levels in my opinion unless you are planning on resting all the time. If you also take Veteran's Recovery you really don't ever need the Priest. If I need to use the immunity spells, which I usually don't, you can just get them from scrolls.

• Like 1

A priest is good if, like me, you're all about offensive focus. With Painful Interdiction you can set up your party to deal a world of hurt before the enemy can get to you. I rarely buff my party defensively as it is, because frankly with the right setup and offensive targeting you're never going to need to unless the fight is really tough. And dazing + weakening the entire screen full of enemies is not something your chanter can do. This sets up your other spellcasters for easier hits and crits on their control spells. Especially with Dire Blessing coming as a third level spell and a spell mastery late game.

For me, if you have to rely on defensive spells you're doing it wrong ;)

But that's just how I roll. :p

Edited by AeonsLegend

So Ciphers are the most active class and Chanters, Paladins and Monks probably the least so. Monks will become activated during battle, but not at the start. Fighters and Barbarians are somewhere in the middle, but are good as well if you don't want to go for a squishy class like the Cipher.

How are Monks less active than Fighters or Barbarians? In my experience they use roughly the same number of abilities in shorter fights, but a lot more in long fighters. I'd actually put them at the top of non-caster classes for the number of abilities you're using.

So Ciphers are the most active class and Chanters, Paladins and Monks probably the least so. Monks will become activated during battle, but not at the start. Fighters and Barbarians are somewhere in the middle, but are good as well if you don't want to go for a squishy class like the Cipher.

How are Monks less active than Fighters or Barbarians? In my experience they use roughly the same number of abilities in shorter fights, but a lot more in long fighters. I'd actually put them at the top of non-caster classes for the number of abilities you're using.

Yeah they get their abilities during the fight. That's not very active for me, it's actually reactive. My first character was a DPS monk and even though I enjoyed playing it I always felt like I was just waiting to get hit in order to impact the fight. With a fighter for instance you can impact the fight right off the bat. Barbarians have this AoE attack that can prone/stun an entire wave of enemies with the right weapon. I guess a monk is more active the longer the fight lasts, but I like my fights to be short, explosive and with me controlling the fight from the get-go. That's why I feel monks don't fit my playstyle even though they get a stun as a normal per encounter ability.

A Chanter can do his thing every single fight. No need to hold back spells, no need to rest just go all in every time. Ciphers are also like this, I really dislike the per rest type.

Personally I prefer having the +25% fire lash as the focal point of my chants instead of Dragon Thrash. With my team of hard hitting melee - Juggernaut 3.0, Devil. Kana and Pellaginna - the extra lash helps everyone hit even harder. Plus since it does not stack on itself it gives me the ability to weave in another chant rather than just stacking Dragon Thrash and waiting for everything to die.

At the start, the only really tough time, a Chanter with Ancient memory and the other regen chant makes a huge difference as does the +10 fortitude. much better than a Priest at low levels in my opinion unless you are planning on resting all the time. If you also take Veteran's Recovery you really don't ever need the Priest. If I need to use the immunity spells, which I usually don't, you can just get them from scrolls.

This, so much.

I totally dislike per rest myself.

And the passiveness of the chanter many people dislike is also it's strength in this aspect, since you can't accidentally forget to cast something or get to the point where you rather not use an ability than having to rest to ue it again.

After some thinking, i came to the conclusion, that i´ll definetly run a chanter in my group, but i´m still unsure if it will be my main char or just some kind of NPC

Now what bothers me a little bit is the Paladin Class that i´m still interested in.. .... sure, as i said before, i don´t really care about min - maxing here, but i´d like to now if my idea (that i will describe here now) about the paladin could work in terms of Lore and Game Mechanics !

Let´s assume, that i want to use a Paladin as Main Char.

It will be a male, Wild Orlan of course, thats a fact as far as my Character Concept goes.

I find the following Paladin Orders the most appealing: "The Kind Wayfarers" and " The Shieldbearers of St. Elcga" (because of their favoured behavior).

What i would like to know now (perhaps someone can help me with this problem) is: Is there a Culture, that would fit the my Character well - lorewise ?

For the Shieldbearers, it would be the Aedyr Kingdom perhaps, but what about the Wayfarers ? Where´s their Homebase located etc ?

The very last thing i would like to know is, how i should distribute the stats for my paladin to get a decent 2nd Tank / Buffer / DD

Could someone just give me a rating for the attributes ? I think Might, Intelligence and Perception are my favourite Stats so far in Terms of Roleplay, but

as a Tank, i would also need to invest in Resolve, right ?

I thought about something like this: 16/10/10/16/16/10

Unlike the other playable Paladin orders, the Kind Wayfarers don't have a centralised structure and are less like the traditional image of a knightly order. As I understand it, Kind Wayfarers tend to operate alone, or in small groups, and go wherever their skills are required i.e. wherever there travellers in need of protection etc. As such, I think any culture and background could fit a Kind Wayfarer Paladin, but perhaps one with the Explorer background from a more wild culture (Living Lands, Deadfire Archipelago etc.) would fit particularly well.

If you plan to have another tank in your party then you can afford to keep Resolve at 10 since Paladin's have good base Deflection. I ran a Paladin with the following stats

Mig 18

Con 10

Dex 10

Per 15

Int 15

Res 10

who primarily used a two-handed sword and acted as a secondary tank, damage dealer and buffer, so I'm sure 16/10/10/16/16/10 would work fine too.

• Like 1

Okay thanks for the quick answer ! =)

Is it possible to change the Order of my Paladin later on ?

If not - would the Kind Wayfarer also work as a 2nd Tank ?

What would be the prefered Weapon Style for my Char then ? Sword and Shield or  Two - handed Weapons ( would look quite silly on my tiny orlan i think ) ?

ah, just realised, that JerekKruger just answered some of my Questions before  i wrote them here ^^ - thank you for your help !

Edited by Morax

As far as I recall you can't change the order of your Paladin through a respec, but I am not 100% certain of that.

All Paladins can work well as a tank. In fact Paladins are arguably the best tanks in the game. You can go sword and shield or two-handed quite happily. Sword and shield will be tankier whereas two-handed will be a bit more damaging. Before level 13 your main source of damage will be your weapon, either via Flames of Devotion or your normal auto-attack, therefore you'll do more damage using a two-handed weapon. Once you reach level 13, you get an ability called Sacred Immolation which allows your Paladin to do fire damage to all nearby enemies (take this) and the weapon you're using starts to matter a lot less for damage.

• Like 1

I like old valia for chanters, as it gives +1 int and is the only one with the "artist" background.

If chanter is still a thing ;)

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 2

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Okay good to know !

I guess i´ll just do the Tutorial ( the ruins etc) with the Chanter and the Paladin to see which of these classes i like the most, after that i will make my decision !

Are there any special, remarkable dialogues for the Old Valia or the Living Lands Cultures ?

• Like 2

BTW one tipp: revisit the ruins in valewood with companions that have high athletics and one that has high mechanics... You will find gloves that will give +2 Dex and a necklace that gives +2 per... Very worth it this early on. They are guarded by a pack of wolves though... And they are hidden. Good luck ;)

And everybody knows

BTW one tipp: revisit the ruins in valewood with companions that have high athletics and one that has high mechanics... You will find gloves that will give +2 Dex and a necklace that gives +2 per... Very worth it this early on. They are guarded by a pack of wolves though... And they are hidden. Good luck ;)

The necklace is not guaranteed it's random loot.

The necklace is not guaranteed it's random loot.

Yeah I'm sad about that too. Reloaded the area countless times, but I think it's stuck on either game creation or first visit to the area. Not sure. The Necklace is probably the best find out of all the options that you can get there. 

No it has to do with ingame date.

If you create a certain amount of chars or repeat the name (I'm not quite sure) the loot varies from the base loot table but usually you can just use the random loot table to determine what day which item spawns.

The game always starts on the 19th so if you repeat the exact same order of doing stuff as you did before you will most likely get the same item.

I see... Dammit, what exactly did I do? ;)

And everybody knows