Non-PotD Chanter.. need info on the exact role in party.

It is hidden north west in woodwind plains, adds (as all hatches) 5 def, also has 3 DR bypass, and fire lash, and I think it comes with the "fine enchantment.

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Little question... just played some 40 minutes... and I'm wondering: It's ok that Chanters have no micromanagement but... I don't need to do anything else than attack? If so, I can see why some guy some posts ago told me it's boring... Yeah, once 3 chants is reached I have to (or better, can) throw in an invocation but... nothing more to do? No special abilities even at higher levels? No "per encounter" or "per rest" abilities that can change the outcome of a battle? 

Edited by Slack83er

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

You can give them things like Aspirant's Mark or Prestidigitator'S Missiles or Outlander's Frenzy. Then you'll have per encounter abilites. Or give them 3 or four guns an do quick switching. Other than that - yes, they can be the most passive class. I think it's great because micromanaging 6 party members can be a chore. Take a chanter and you'll only have to micro 5. :)

Using White Worms to its full potential requires a totally othjer playstyle of course. Heavy micro involved.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The awesomeness of chanters lies in the fact that they can literally just stand around doing nothing while everyone around them drops dead. For example a early/mid game standard terrifying-sweet winds chant: with enough int, the fear effect will last the entire time, constantly having a -10 accuracy for all enemies. In between you'll always drain endurance from them with sweet winds. In an ideal scenario this means you can just stand there, not getting hit, slowly killing everyone. And while this may not be ideal for party, chanters shine in solo. For party play, there's always the invocations! Several are really good... For example already on Lvl 1 both the phantom and the white worms are crazy.

I really wanna try the sure handed chant and the wurms though... For my solo chanter that could be very promising for trashmobs :)

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

I don't love microing, Boer knows that. But still.. I'd like to do SOMETHING in combat... Standing around waiting for paint to dry is not exactly my idea... Skalds should relish in the battle, weaving their axes, but I'm missing something that can grant me the opportunity to do that. (The game also doesn't make combat very epic... it's instead very static, with its "almost turn based actions"...no epic at all... oh well...)    

This, and the fact that in the very start, I don't get to the 2nd chant and all around me are as good as dead...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

But yeah, I think the devs might have created the chanter with solo at least in mind.

Also don't get me wrong... Chanters have pretty high accuracy as well. My chanter is running around with shatter star and a fine buckler (what? Early game ;) ) and that weapon definitely does quite some damage... Trust me.

Then there is also that feeling of all mightyness when in early game people just drop dead around you for no reason, in mid game when everything starts burning, and in late game when you summon a dragon (well... Drake. Still pretty bada$$ though).

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

Yes, this is clear but... it's all automatic... nothing to do... just tell him the order of the chants... and do nothing else... :(

What if I change the concept to ranged and then take ILA?

Edited by Slack83er

Why that? Nearly all his chants also affect the party, not only the chanter - and also Ancient Memory + Beloved Spirits do. That's a big indicator that they are meant for party play.

Same with the paladin.

The thing that makes them both good for solo play is the combination of great defenses plus great dps at the same time.

That'll be nice as well, as recently demonstrated in the gunslinger build. Just make sure to pump int for that all-mightyness ;)

@boeroer while it is undeniable that any party benefits greatly from a chanter, you will agree with me that it is an intuitive pick for solo. While not specifically created for solo, I'd speculate that solo was a factor when the chanter was created.

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

Yes, this is clear but... it's all automatic... nothing to do... just tell him the order of the chants... and do nothing else... :(

Then you will shoot instead of swing?

I don't see where the chanter is so much more passive than a fighter for example.

Edited by Boeroer

In theory one could make a chanter with high might and int and have it work somewhat like a barbarian. Their raise int-per-dex invocation is deadly in conbination with the cross class frenzy talent.

If you don't dump dex make it a dex-perception balanced gunslinger or a pike user. If you max out might leave int around 15-16 and adjust resolve accordingly.

If you do dump dex put it into perception, max int and then decide if you want it more tanky-buff-debuff-style and raise resolve or damage dealing spellcasting-style and max might. Or kesp the two balanced and have a more "backup jack of all trades" type.

Edited by Remix

Then you will shoot instead of swing?

I don't see where the chanter is so much more passive than a fighter for example.

A fighter gains more and more active abilities from which to choose. The chanter just adds chants. Once added to the sequence.. it's full autopilot.

The way I take it, his problem is not the sheer passiveness but also the relative slowness with which the chanter works.

Well... I can't remember who it was right now... but someone told me that the chanter gets boring unless in PotD due to shorter battles which don't allow him to get to the nth chant...

It's quite true. But I don't wanna play very hard, because I'm a relative beginner... catch 22....

If you want to play on medium difficulty and not potd min maxing is less necessary. Melee for all classes is easier on lower difficulties. Don't dump dex as much and balance your stats more. You can kinda have a gunslinger/sword-shield hybrid.

• Like 1

In theory one could make a chanter with high might and int and have it work somewhat like a barbarian. Their raise int-per-dex invocation is deadly in conbination with the cross class frenzy talent.

If you don't dump dex make it a dex-perception balanced gunslinger or a pike user. If you max out might leave int around 15-16 and adjust resolve accordingly.

If you do dump dex put it into perception, max int and then decide if you want it more tanky-buff-debuff-style and raise resolve or damage dealing spellcasting-style and max might. Or kesp the two balanced and have a more "backup jack of all trades" type.

Hard to understand all the possibilities, but I did ;) I don't dump anything, 'cos I don't like minmaxing. I'm more like a "nothing below 10" type of player. Balance is the word. Gunslinger is fine, but the main problem remains, he just stands there doing bang bang until the others crash and burn... nothing to do.. Kana-clone.

Can probably do something like this:

Skald1.jpgimage hosting services

Skald.jpgimg hosting

Tall grass and weapon/shield for skald. Whispers of Yen for +2 con. What you see is outside combat and no buffs. Items only.

Cast crossclass frenzy and +dex per int invocation at the same time. Get there quick with lvl 1 chants. Switch to damaging or disabling chants after buffing all your stats. Throw seven knights during the next chance.

The use of blunderbuss is also possible.

Edited by Remix

This is another concept, if strong nonetheless. It's might-based, you actively enter into battle. Your CON tells all the story... I reckon it works, and you have also included the frenzy for a more barbarian-ish effect. This would be perfect. What I'm missing is "something to do" while the world around you collapses under your chants.... oh.. and I don't like sword and shield... my personal taste..:)

Just dual wield or two handed style and mitigate some con into res if that works.

Have the character ocassionally chant the +10 deflection chant or the 30pt damage shield chant and you will negate penalties from frenzy. Mix 1st level chants in. These will buff your whole party and increase your tankiness. Also, use a lot of health and endurance regen. Maybe even try dual wield or just stick with blunderbuss.

It really depends on what you want this character to do for your party.

Maybe pair your skald with a dd-front line barbarian. The barb will benefit big time from the +int per dex invocation and ancient memory with defensive chants.

Edited by Remix

Your telling me to put points in res because of the lost deflection due to dual wield? I wanted to use the hatchets for this...

I'm confident that the char would do good to the party, it's just that apart from using the frenzy and clicking on the target, there's nothing more this char can do, except chant, which he automatically does.... I'd like some action for him!

Give the chanter whispers of treason, aspirants mark, holy radiance, or magic missile cross class talents if you're looking for some utility while you accumulate chants.

You can also use potions and scrolls in that same light.

Scroll of paralysis, twin stones, moonwell, confusion, entangle, malestrom...ect.

Edited by Remix

I think you already gave me the best... that of the barbarian.. the others would just be forced in the build without no apparent connection with the build itself. I know chanters have lore, and that allows me to use scrolls but I'm not very fond of it.. though I'll admit they can change battles sometimes.. another thing I'm thinking of is the elf... sure, white that wends is great, but I prefer the living lands, admittedly "a land where there are many madmen" full of strange beasts and all the rest... human I find it to be better lore-wise... and surely more fitting to wield battle axes than slim elves... hehe

A fighter gains more and more active abilities from which to choose. The chanter just adds chants. Once added to the sequence.. it's full autopilot.

No, the chanter adds invocations, too - which you will be able to put out faster and faster while you gain levels.

For example: at lvl 16 a tier-1 phrase will take only 2 seconds. That means that you can use a tier-1-invocation every 6 seconds (recovery aside). A tier-2-invocation can be put out every 8 seconds. The tier-2-invocation "At the Sound of her Voice, the Killers Froze Stiff" has a base duration of 8 seconds. I guess you can see where this is going:

Even before lvl 16 you could perma-paralyze whole groups of enemies. Just pump your DEX, PER, INT and reduce recovery and you will have a very active chanter who will run around to find the best position to place his paralyzing cone but needs no resources at all to CC whole groups.

Of course: if you use wizards or druids to nuke every enemy in 6 seconds (and then rest) this will not happen. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Well the last thing you said is true... most enemies fall down long before I'm able to actually use an invocation, and that leaves me with a bunch of nothing to do... this is the only char that would force me to go higher difficulty just to have some fun...