Skill Selection Issue

Jeftidastl

Question

Playing through Brigandoom again and Harsk found a Spectre. Since this was a new game with no magic weapons yet, I moved Lini over to kill it next turn with an Inflict spell I just found. I moved over, played my spell, revealed my Dog, and even had Harsk play a Blessing of the Gods on me to be sure.

Unfortunately, I did not notice that Shelyn was on top of the blessing deck. I did not notice that the game calculated that I had a statistically better shot at getting a Wisdom 7 check than a Combat 11 check. The number of dice was exactly the same. The game did not care that my Wisdom check did not have the magic trait, and so the Spectre was shuffled back into the deck. My intentions to kill the Spectre through combat were clear; the game thought it was helping me but it was not.

This is the first time I can think of where I have a desire to turn off the "auto correct" fuction of the game.

• Like 3

4 answers to this question

We're smart people around here.

What's the solution?

I don't want a prompt every time for combat, because 98% of the time, I want to roll the most dice.

How do we get it to check for those corner cases without it becoming invasive?

Spitballing: What if there was a quick message when it changed from combat to something else?

Or when it changed from the original assumption, Combat (or Dexterity for barriers) to something else due to different blessings or items used?

Like the blessings getting eaten due to various wildcards, I think a bigger notification is better and helpful.

• Like 1

I would like some more obvious indicator when the skill check type changes. Playing a blessing and having the game decide 3d4 is way better than 2d12 is annoying.

I would also like a warning if one of my cards played nullifies one of previous cards:

If I play an attack spell, it means I want that effect. If a blessing afterwards completely removes the spell, I should be warned.

• Like 1

is the 95% of the time the game is correct worth more than the 5% it is not though?

Keep weighing in please and posting your opinions. Not sure what we can do hear but it is sure worth listening to you guys and gathering your feedback.

I think the skill selection box needs to have an animation occur when the game automatically changes the skill check to be attempted. No prompt to have to dismiss, just an eye catching change. A brief intense glow? A roulette style spin and reveal? A treasure map being unrolled? Maybe that is for Skull & Shackles, but is there a more Pathfinder-y option?

• Like 1