Why there are no good arquebus from WM1&WM2 ?

I think that might be partly it hilfazer. I'm not sure it's explicitly that, but I imagine when Obsidian were coming up with ideas for Soulbound weapons guns simply didn't come up since they don't feel like the right sort of weapon for that. Might be wrong though.

• Like 1

Guns are pretty recent invention, people don't know how to make them awesomely yet.

Doesn't quite explain why there are so many enchanted pistols in the game.  Or why there are so damned few unique crossbows or arbalests.

Besides which, this doesn't explain why the DEVS haven't included more unique guns (other than pistols, and, I suppose blunderbuses) and xbows.  When it comes to ranged weapons, there are plenty of bows, magical implements, and pistols.  Arbalests, arquebuses, and crossbows ... not so much.

To be fair to the devs, while there may not be a huge variety of crossbows and arbalests, the handful in the game are really great weapons. Hold wall is really underrated, particularly for a ranger. It's great for a substantial portion of the game until Stormcaller and then it just gets passed onto someone else.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

To be fair to the devs, while there may not be a huge variety of crossbows and arbalests, the handful in the game are really great weapons. Hold wall is really underrated, particularly for a ranger. It's great for a substantial portion of the game until Stormcaller and then it just gets passed onto someone else.

What's there to be "fair" about?  There are only 2 unique crossbows (not counting the soulbound xbow that's limited to only 3 classes if you want to soulbind it), 2 unique arbalests, and 2 unique arquebuses (not counting the named yet generic one sold by a certain vendor of named, but generic weapons) in the entire game!  At least blunderbuses got a 3rd unique one in WM.  But arbalests and arquebuses got jack.

That's not all.

The 2 unique crossbows (as well as one of the arbalests) are in a single dungeon, though pretty far apart.  And the 2 unique arquebuses are only available late in the game.

Let's face it.  Arbalests and arquebuses got the shaft.  And to a lesser degree, so did crossbows.  Even hunting bows got a little shafted.

• Like 1

Also of note, one of the unique crossbows and one of the unique arbalests have the speed enchant. This is a brilliant enchant on melee weapons, but given it has no effect on reload speed, only on recovery, it's fairly useless on ranged weapons, particularly ones with long reload speeds like crossbows and arbalests.

Also of note, one of the unique crossbows and one of the unique arbalests have the speed enchant. This is a brilliant enchant on melee weapons, but given it has no effect on reload speed, only on recovery, it's fairly useless on ranged weapons, particularly ones with long reload speeds like crossbows and arbalests.

Interesting.  I suppose that it's possible that the devs designing those two weapons thought that the speed enchantment sounded nice for such slow weapons, without considering the matter a little more deeply.   Frankly, there are a few enchantments that I think are kind of lame.  Valiant, for one.  I mean really, an enchantment that only kicks in when your END is below 50%?  I never use "valiant" weapons because I this enchantment so much.

Also, I'm kinda not a fan of spells being bound to weapons (i.e. the ones you have to cast yourself, not spell-striking ones), with the exception of staffs.  Then again, I'm not a fan of bound spells on most items, because I rarely remember to use them.

Maybe it was a desire to get away from the paradigm of the mage staff, but I feel like there's a SEVERE lack of really good mage staffs in PoE.  The only one that comes to mind is only available rather late, and really isn't all that impressive, particularly considering how late in the game it's available.  Of course, I suppose that since there are a number of good wizard spells that provide excellent magical melee weapons, a mage staff may seem a bit unnecessary.  Sigh.  Oh well.

Edited by Crucis

What's so cool about Hold Wall? I only know what is not: Speed enchantment.

Vancian =/= per rest.