User Perceptions on Microtransactions

reaveramori

Question

While I was grinding out the initial Brigandoom adventure path I was weighing in how long and in what ways I could accumulate in-game gold to buy more adventures or characters. I then was interested in what it would cost to get all of the content with a single touch. I found that I had a ton of content I would have to purchase individually. I expect this and it is understandable but what I am worried about is user feedback about our product. 

I was pleased to see that, for 20 dollars, I could buy what cost me over 100 dollars in real life. I am of course speaking to the actual hard copy version of Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game. But My concern was how many options I had and how much money it "felt" like it would take to complete the collection. The idea of buying gold and then using that gold to individually buy all of the content further cements this micro-transaction flood of options. This was a little off-putting.

I do feel that the price is right but I think a one step, buy the full game for $19,99 or a more appropriate price (ie more not less, 20 dollars is amazing value) would be better option, leave the gold out of it and make it very clear from the first page of the store front that this is an option. Even having a second option or a tie-in that lets you get a "season pass" might not be a bad option.

I know that the marketing geniuses at obsidian know about market trends and average use opinion on these issues but I really do feel that if users understand that there is a full package available to buy outright at a very reasonable price it might do some good from a PR perspective.

By the way, the product is amazing. 

Thank You!

Reaveramori

Edited by reaveramori

5 answers to this question

Something I will personally note;  the gold grinding largely seems like it wont be viable at all for anything. It really feels like the app may as well be a "free to test, buy the bundle for the rest of the content" thing.

Mostly noting this as i could see it running into the problem a lot of F2P games do. If a F2P option is offered, but it's not really a viable choice, you're going to have whining and complaining because of it. So in quite a few ways, I'd personally lean towards the F2P system being removed entirely and the content offered either as a complete bundle, or each item having its own $ cost. Provides support for the dev's, and honestly, again, at the rates the gold income exists (after 2-3 hours I think I've earned like 60-70 gold, but perhaps I'm bad), the Gold option may as well not really exist and I suspect will provide a fulcrum point of complaints. 
  • Like 1

While I was grinding out the initial Brigandoom adventure path I was weighing in how long and in what ways I could accumulate in-game gold to buy more adventures or characters. I then was interested in what it would cost to get all of the content with a single touch. I found that I had a ton of content I would have to purchase individually. I expect this and it is understandable but what I am worried about is user feedback about our product. 

I was pleased to see that, for 20 dollars, I could buy what cost me over 100 dollars in real life. I am of course speaking to the actual hard copy version of Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game. But My concern was how many options I had and how much money it "felt" like it would take to complete the collection. The idea of buying gold and then using that gold to individually buy all of the content further cements this micro-transaction flood of options. This was a little off-putting.

I do feel that the price is right but I think a one step, buy the full game for $19,99 or a more appropriate price (ie more not less, 20 dollars is amazing value) would be better option, leave the gold out of it and make it very clear from the first page of the store front that this is an option. Even having a second option or a tie-in that lets you get a "season pass" might not be a bad option.

I know that the marketing geniuses at obsidian know about market trends and average use opinion on these issues but I really do feel that if users understand that there is a full package available to buy outright at a very reasonable price it might do some good from a PR perspective.

By the way, the product is amazing. 

Thank You!

Reaveramori

As Xenonsin mentions, there is an option to flat out buy the game - it's the Season Pass in the Specials section of the store. This will give you access to all adventure decks as they're released, as well as all of characters (including the Character Deck). :)

• Like 1

after 2-3 hours I think I've earned like 60-70 gold, but perhaps I'm bad), the Gold option may as well not really exist and I suspect will provide a fulcrum point of complaints. 

Could you give us about how many Banes you defeated and what scenario you got to? 

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them

after 2-3 hours I think I've earned like 60-70 gold, but perhaps I'm bad), the Gold option may as well not really exist and I suspect will provide a fulcrum point of complaints. 

Could you give us about how many Banes you defeated and what scenario you got to? 

As I had told some people, I have had absolutely atrocious luck in beating the first boss despite stacking the heck out of every bonus I can, and thus am still stuck on the first scenario despite a half dozen attempts :p

• Like 1