[3.0] Weird CPU issue

lantzk

Question

So, I definitely didn't have this problem before WM2 or 3.0, but now, whenever I run Pillars all of my cores get locked at 2.05 Ghz. Considering I haven't played since WM1, I don't know whether in the interim I've done something that would make my laptop upset, but tellingly this only happens with POE.

Weirdly, I've also noticed that when I play POE, every thirty minutes or so, the screen will get dim, like it thinks I haven't been using the computer or something. I have power management set to high performance, run it as an administrator, have profiles set up with radeon, etc. I'm at a bit of a loss here. I consider myself to be relatively tech savvy (my preferred linux distribution is Arch), but this has stumped me. Note: I could use overdrive to set the clock manually, but that seems like a hassle if I'm just going to do that for POE. Further, I'm not even sure if that will work.

System specs:

AMD A10-5750m 2.5-3.5Ghz (8650g Graphics), Windows 10.1 64-bit, 16Gb Ram -- yes my APU meets minimum spec. I would have performance drops in the larger White March areas before, but now I'm getting single digits constantly in all but the smallest of maps.

Thoughts? Random suggestions? Commiserative emoji?

Edited by lantzk

5 answers to this question

Remembered about the extraneous network thing and so I uninstalled my ethernet controller to no avail. Additional information: core speed drops to 2.05Ghz only when the game engine is running, during loading screens it jumps right back up to 3.5Ghz.

Edited by lantzk