Hi. Since I never understood poe's mechanic, I want to ask you to build me a character that can pass all the skill-tests during dialogues (those that let you convince a person to do something). I'd like to play a support or dps role. Race: 'higher' one if possible (you know, not a dwarf or a hobbit). Is it possible or passing all the skill tests means my character is going to be useless? I want to travel with pre-made npc (I can't really remember their names. Dorian? Eder? Mother?). Furthermore, can you tell me where I can find actual information about poe's character-creating system so I can create a reasonable character on my own?

I want to start a new game when second part of WM is released. If game's mechanic is going to changed by this time, regard this topic non-existent.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Character_creation

All conversation checks? Not sure, someone will probably know, but it will roughly mean high RES, PER and INT. High means like 15-20. Mind food and items and other (sleep-in) bonuses when on creation screen. 

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Attribute#Dialog

edit: as for specific character, well, it could be rogue. Low MIG Rogue say Death Godlike. 

Edited by knownastherat

I had that in mind but there is a way around it. Enchanting armor which is cheap and maybe overlooked. No Dwarves no Orlans leaves limited options.

The highest test I've seem is what, 19 RES? You can reach that with a human and an enchanted armor, using the head and neck slots for INT and PER.

Going with 17 RES, 16 INT, 16 PER, and using a Torc of Falcon's eyes, Dunryd Demon helmet and RES enchanted armor you can have all attribute based dialogues I can think of, except intimidation ones that depend on MIG.

You could dump DEX and put extra points into MIG to have a decent Paladin char, if you don't mind having to roleplay in an especific way. Or an off-tank Chanter.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

There's checks up to 21, but you can reach anything with food, resting bonuses and let's not forget Salty Mast whores.

Generally you won't be gimped by choosing high converstaion attributes.

If you use a party it's all about right use of abilities, attributes don't really matter that much.

Ofc you want to avoid low might on a damager, low int on a caster and so forth, but as I said there's always buffs for speed checks.

Godlikes are very viable, the missing helm slot mainly means Might or Perception, which you can get elsewhere.

You can't pass every check with the same build until late game when you have lots of strong items. If I really wanted my build to be 'strong conversationalist' above anything else, I'd put 18 points each into resolve, intellect and then probably might (perception is also a reasonable choice). Later on, by act III when I had +3 items for all my stats (except Intellect, for some reasons), I'd respec to have 13s and 12s (maybe slightly higher in Res), running around with a strong inn bonus and the food buffs.

You can go into the options and set it so that conversations show the checks you can't pass - then you'll be able to reload and reorganise your build so you don't miss anything. I'm doubt this would actually make you happy - your game would probably be even more dominated by fear-of-missing-out.

Thank you for suggestions. I wanted to try chanter like a year ago (I haven't played poe since realise date due to loading times on my ssd reaching 30 secs). I believe I played as a paladin as I was told they are super op (and they matched 2/3 high conversation skill rule). Chanter sounds like a way to go. I'm not that intrested in min/max so going for godlike would be an option if it doesn't stop me from passing conversation checks.

Btw why are you guys all for dwarfs and orlans? Are they *that* good?

Edit. I also remember 21 check in caed nua dungeon.

Edited by pagulhan
  • Like 1

Thank you for suggestions. I wanted to try chanter like a year ago (I haven't played poe since realise date due to loading times on my ssd reaching 30 secs). I believe I played as a paladin as I was told they are super op (and they matched 2/3 high conversation skill rule). Chanter sounds like a way to go. I'm not that intrested in min/max so going for godlike would be an option if it doesn't stop me from passing conversation checks.

Dwarfes? No, I don't think they have anything special.

Orlans are good if you wish to have lots of Resolve and Perception.

• Like 1

Orlans are good for tanks if you take the ones with defiant resolve (wild I think).

Paladins are an awesome PC, but chanters are also very good.

Edited by Raven Darkholme