2s to switch weapons

There is a talent that lowers the time by 1.5s

There is a belt that lowers the time by 1s

You can stack both to reduce the time to 0

Oh, that's quite fast. I can survive for 2 seconds, I think ;) For some reason I thought I read it was 4 seconds - which would've been a problem.

Since you are a "Master" Cipher, are melee Ciphers viable for newbs? I want to use Psychic Backlash, but I heard melee Ciphers are super-fragile?

Why do you think that you need a melee cipher in order to profit from Psychic Backlash? I think there is no single melee attack that targets will. So it doesn't matter if you are ranged or melee.

If it's just because of a "I'm sturdy and do backlash so I should go melee" thing then ok.

Melee ciphers are easier than melee rogues in my opinion. The good CC options (too many enemies? Whisper of Treason! :)) help a lot to prevent damage and focus gain is better in melee once you engaged.

You can also use Pain Link on yourself and take retaliation items - then you are really backlashing all the time. :) A shame retaliation doesn't give you focus anymore.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Why do you think that you need a melee cipher in order to profit from Psychic Backlash? I think there is no single melee attack that targets will. So it doesn't matter if you are ranged or melee.

If it's just because of a "I'm sturdy and do backlash so I should go melee" thing then ok.

Melee ciphers are easier than melee rogues in my opinion. The good CC options (too many enemies? Whisper of Treason! :)) help a lot to prevent damage and focus gain is better in melee once you engaged.

You can also use Pain Link on yourself and take retaliation items - then you are really backlashing all the time. :) A shame retaliation doesn't give you focus anymore.

I think he's seen the video of the solo cipher which happened to be melee.

As solo this talent is a lot more useful because everyone will hit only you and also single target will attacks apply, but you only need good defense to not die to those attacks.

@Boeroer pain link only works on allies, as always the wiki is wrong. :(

• Like 1

Oh, I was just confused and thought most Will attacks are melee ranged. If not, then I prefer a ranged Cipher, as I am already running 3 melees (Chanter tank, Chanter DPS, and Paladin hybrid). It's just that I am a newb whose furthest progress was to level 6 (before that game bugged out), so I don't know all the mid- and late-game encounters ;)

The only melee ranged will attack I know of is threatening Presence and idek if enemy barbarians have that.

edit: The abduction by wraiths is melee ranged, too but they will abduct anyone incl ranged and you will be lucky if they don't abduct your cipher. ;)

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 1

Erm... "buy two Rimecutters from Azurro" - not very predictable or reliable. I had that once in about 10 playthroughs. :)

You could use Sword of Daenysis & March Steel Dagger though. Both also have speed, are in the same weapon group and you can get them early.

Or Spelltongue plus Sword of Daenysis or March Steel Dagger.

You could also use Danulya & Rêghar Konnek, but they both come quite late.

If you don't care about Weapon Focus you can of course combine other weapons as well: Strike Hard and Unforgiven also have speed.

But I think that two Rimecutters would be the coolest solution - also literally. ;)

Since v. 3.0 you can also use Svef to gain another +15% Attack Speed in order to reach 0 recovery by the way.

Did Azzuro appearance frequency change recently? I've had him appear about 10 times in one game, and he's sold me two of the boots, Rimecutters, and he's also offered the shield twice (I declined the 2nd time). And I am not gaming anything, except just resting a lot.

Edited by Lampros