[v3.00.929 PX1-steam] What's the point of Second Wind?

HawkSoft

Question

I've just recovered the Shipment for the Gilded Vale smith, in the fight with the bandits Durance (3rd level) was going down, I had the choice between 11.2 endurance back from Second Wind or trying to get another spell/attack off.

I chose to attack as 11.2 endurance was only going to prolong the inevitable whilst if he got a spell/attack off it might finish things immediately.

I understand the concept of Second Wind but it just seems like a-n-other per encounter ability that adds to the micro of combat in PoE. It might make more sense at higher levels but for starting characters I feel it's just an annoyance (sorry devs.).

Other options:

• Just give characters some more endurance based on their survival rating.
  • Make Second Wind function like Second Chance but with a delay (a few seconds?) and a limited amount of endurance (11.2 in this case?).

EDIT: If it functioned like Second Chance then the delay could be supplemented by a Stunned condition for an equal (?) time or a crippled condition (EG bruised ribs).

Edited by HawkSoft

5 answers to this question

I've now had a chance to level up the party in the beta and I see that Second Wind replaces the old endurance boosts for athletics.

Sorry, no. this just feels like everyone is carrying around a per encounter endurance potion (that scales by Athletics) - one more thing to click.

I don't believe the AI makes use of it, even if it did why not just add it to a characters endurance pool?

EDIT, it does, but erratically.

The re-engineered Survival skill (generally good) also seems to conflict with Athletics as it can give you a movement bonus on resting (how? bonus damage also seems a bit *gamey*).

Maybe Athletics aught to have its own set of per rest bonuses? EG movement, attack speed and second wind.

Edited by HawkSoft

I would actually prefer Second Wind restoring Health instead of Endurance. 1 per rest.

I thought about that but I feel that restoring health should be tied to Survival, not Athletics.

Maybe it could replace the movement bonus which seems to fit better with Athletics?

I've also spotted that the AI sometimes uses Second Wind but it seems to be very erratic.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

Since we changed how fatigue works in the game and Athletics no longer apply to fatigue, we needed to give Athletics something useful. The purpose of Second Wind was to offer players more utility. This allows players to have more options available to them such as party diversity, quick item section, and spell conservation. 

You even have the choice in not putting any points into Athletics, so you don't have to use Second Wind at all, which could free up more skill points.

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback.

@Aarik, thanks' for the response, I had suspected that athletics no longer pumped base endurance.

Since I first posted my monk char has been putting a lot of skill into athletics and survival (not something I'd have done in v2), some comments:

• Second wind is very useful and can restore significant endurance but still seems like a renewing potion rather than a *natural* effect.
  • I think there are too many different survival bonuses some of seem more related to athletics (EG movement speed) than survival.
  • I can (sort of) justify to myself why survival may boost creature specific damage but think it's too flexible.
  • I think it's a big improvement on v2, well done!

My (revised) suggestions:

• Survival gives a boost to health, no boost from levelling up.
  • Every 2 levels of survival earns a per-rest bonus (as current beta): Improved Healing, DR bonus, Consumables Duration increase (note DR 2nd, it's too good to be 1st).
  • Every character might be able to take a *racial enemy* when they reach EG level 3 (give new players time to think about it).
  • Athletics gives boost to endurance, no boost from levelling up (as current beta).
  • Every 2 levels of Athletics earns a per-encounter bonus (selected on rest/camping): Second Wind, Movement Bonus, Attack Speed bonus (or Deflection?)