Frenzy AI / Sanguine Plate Spell Holding Frenzy bugs

Yosharian

Question

Noticed some behaviours:

1) While using the new Sanguine Plate (Frenzy spell holding), the AI cannot tell that the SP's Frenzy has procced and is up.  It automatically casts Barbarian Frenzy anyway.  Presumably the reverse can also happen, namely that crits expend (and waste) SP's Frenzy charges (supposed to be 2 per encounter, but see below) while Barbarian Frenzy is still up.

2) SG's Frenzy charges don't seem to be functioning correctly.  Shod-in-Faith's Consecrated Ground charges seem to work fine (2 per encounter) but SP's Frenzy only seems to proc once per encounter.  Whether this is because it erroneously contains one charge, or whether it's proccing the second charge while the first is still up, is a mystery.  Tested this by letting the procced Frenzy run out, then getting crit again - no effect.  UPDATE: Tested this again and watched the Frenzy timer carefully - it seems like the SP Frenzy is proccing again despite the initial SP Frenzy still being up, therefore wasting potential Frenzy duration.  Essentially if you get crit again before the first timer runs out, the second proc begins regardless.  This is bad design.  No idea if Shod-in-Faith suffers from the same problem, it didn't seem to, but haven't tested it thoroughly.

3) SP's Frenzy duration appears to be extended to around 20 seconds, presumably by my character's high int (+70% or so duration), yet this is not reflected in the tooltip or explained anywhere.  This is bad design.

I would add that I think it's absolutely ****ty design that SG's Frenzy does not benefit from Greater Frenzy, but I imagine I'm wasting my breath there.

Edited by Yosharian

4 answers to this question

Yeah, stupid magic item crafters, don't know what they're doing.

I see, so you want to approach it from a role-playing angle... fine, fine:

Greater Frenzy is not 'magic'.  It's the 'cultivation of the Barbarian's inner rage'.  It literally says in the tooltip: 'while under the effects of Frenzy.'  It's very reasonable to assume that if a Barbarian is skilled or experienced in the use of Frenzies to the point where he has 'cultivated his inner rage', that he can benefit the same from a magically-induced Frenzy as well.

This is without even considering that regardless of the role-playing aspect, it's bad game design.

Now that I re-read your comment I realise you may not have intended it as snarky mockery and may have just been making a joke.  Oh well.

Edited by Yosharian

Shod in Faith do trigger CG when you get a crit hit. Every time. So you will have two CGs at the same time that heal you quicker. It stacks. That's not a bug, it's a feature.

Frenzy however does not stack and so the second one is wasted. But this mechanic is known and it's OK for me. You can work around that: switch to shield once you got a crit so that it's more unlikely that you get a second one while Frenzy is up.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Shod in Faith do trigger CG when you get a crit hit. Every time. So you will have two CGs at the same time that heal you quicker. It stacks. That's not a bug, it's a feature.

Frenzy however does not stack and so the second one is wasted. But this mechanic is known and it's OK for me. You can work around that: switch to shield once you got a crit so that it's more unlikely that you get a second one while Frenzy is up.

I don't think two CGs running concurrently heals you faster.  I've seen one being suppressed while the other is not.

But yeah, I think you're right that they can overlap.  I just think that if they are going to put per-encounter limits on these effects that they should not allow them to overlap.  It's sending two contradictory messages to the player:

1) This ability is powerful enough that we want to restrict its frequency per encounter

2) Depending on complete luck, you may end up wasting some of this ability's (limited) power - have fun!

Again, as I feel I'm saying frequently these days: it's bad design.

Edited by Yosharian