144 Hz on Linux Version

PublicNuisance

Question

7 answers to this question

I would think PoE relies in this regard totally on unity, and unity in turn relies on what the operating system/ the grafic driver + monitor reports. Have you any way to show a settings panel, system info, hardware names or something which states that your hardware can and will do 144 Hz refreshs?

I would think PoE relies in this regard totally on unity, and unity in turn relies on what the operating system/ the grafic driver + monitor reports. Have you any way to show a settings panel, system info, hardware names or something which states that your hardware can and will do 144 Hz refreshs?

I am able to select the 144 Hz option when booting POE in Windows 7 but not in Linux. On the same exact machine. I dual boot.

I am able to select the 144 Hz option when booting POE in Windows 7 but not in Linux. On the same exact machine. I dual boot.

That's irrelevant. Linux is completely separate to Windows, having Windows report it works doesn't have any relevance to Linux supporting the same functionality. He is asking you to check in Linux if your Linux O/S reports your computer setup is able to do 144Hz, if Linux does not report that it can do that than I won't expect the Linux version of the game to be able to detect something that the O/S can't detect and magically get 144hz support.

You likely need to mess with drivers or something under Linux, I dunno, I don't really use it, I tried Ubuntu for a short bit though.

Edited by Nicholas Steel

Windows 10 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Integrated Audio | 8GB DDR3 RAM | ASUS P6T | Corsair AX760 PSU

That's irrelevant. Linux is completely separate to Windows, having Windows report it works doesn't have any relevance to Linux supporting the same functionality. He is asking you to check in Linux if your Linux O/S reports your computer setup is able to do 144Hz, if Linux does not report that it can do that than I won't expect the Linux version of the game to be able to detect something that the O/S can't detect and magically get 144hz support.

You likely need to mess with drivers or something under Linux, I dunno, I don't really use it, I tried Ubuntu for a short bit though.

Fi

Fair point. I misunderstood you before. I'll test other games I know support 144 Hz on Windows that also run on Linux and see if any games other than POE don't give me the 144 Hz option.

This works for me.. to enable AA on PoE for Linux.

Nvidia proprietary driver - 

[user@test ~]$ nvidia-settings --query=fsaa --verbose

Attribute 'FSAA' (mars:1.0): 0.
    Valid values for 'FSAA' are: 0, 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14.
    'FSAA' can use the following target types: X Screen.

Note to assign 'FSAA' on the commandline, you may also need to assign
    'FSAAAppControlled' and 'FSAAAppEnhanced' to 0.

Valid 'FSAA' Values
      value - description
        0   -   Off
        1   -   2x (2xMS)
        5   -   4x (4xMS)
        7   -   8x (4xMS, 4xCS)
        8   -   16x (4xMS, 12xCS)
        9   -   8x (4xSS, 2xMS)
       10   -   8x (8xMS)
       11   -   16x (4xSS, 4xMS)
       12   -   16x (8xMS, 8xCS)
       14   -   32x (8xMS, 24xCS)

Using mode 9 gives me a pretty good quality of AA. So in Steam, under launch options for Pillars of Eternity, i set

__GL_FSAA_MODE=9 %command%

Edited by Cxpher