Obsidian should rework the classes for POE2

Maybe with changers, do like they did sorta with the wizard and priest. Like when they get to a certain level, give them a free summon at the beginning of the battle of the first tier and then later 2nd tier as well. That way the chanter is doing something while waiting for the 4th and 5th tier.

Or maybe when they get high enough level drop the requirement by 1 point to get summons out sooner.

Maybe with changers, do like they did sorta with the wizard and priest. Like when they get to a certain level, give them a free summon at the beginning of the battle of the first tier and then later 2nd tier as well. That way the chanter is doing something while waiting for the 4th and 5th tier.

Or maybe when they get high enough level drop the requirement by 1 point to get summons out sooner.

OMG this is actually good.

That is also problem, that Chanter theme is "summon a bigger fish" but to summon anything need to wait 12/16/20 sec, and combat could be over by that.

Free summon at the begining could be enought OP to matter.

I don't know if the devs read these threads, but people have posed several interesting ideas that have at least some potential, which is why I think the debate itself is healthy.  That, and these threads don't exist in a vacuum.  Ganrich, anameforobsidian, and I, among others, were arguing over spell components in another thread and I brought up Zenbane's idea of rune magic there as something I didn't like because it sounded like it would lead to frustration.  I also saw someone's thread, I think it was evilcat, about a runecaster class.  I don't know if any of these ideas will directly or indirectly influence anything in the design, but they might.  I think I've read about such things happening previously.  If something good comes out of this, then we should give yoomazir a big slap on the back, even if at times some people wanted to give him a punch to the jaw.

As for the topic at hand, I think redneck and others pegged the problem so many people have with both rangers and chanters, namely that so many of their abilities are passive.  I'd actually argue that this is not true for chanters, only that they interact with a significant pool of abilities before combat by designing their chant queues.  That can make them seem passive during combat.  At any rate, a character can be quite useful or even powerful without a lot of active abilities, but that comes across as boring to some players.

As an aside, I think the lead designer made some sort of comment early in development that the chanter class represented not the Dungeons and Dragons bard, but the ancient school bards such as Homer and Virgil.  That's why so many of the chants resemble Homeric epithets.  Really, I would argue more like Virgil being contrived by one person and meant to honor prior artistry.  Anyhow, I'm thinking of playing a chanter on my next run.  I like Hana well enough.

P.S.  I also believe that chanters should have access to any weapons and armor in the game, even if they don't have the class specific perks of front line fighters to make them shine quite as brightly.

bother?