Nice Pallidin Bug?

Grumpiest

Question

I decided I needed to change my strategy after a couple of disasterous attempts to put down the Alpine Dragon.  I changed the Pallidin's outfit to the Cloak of Master Mystic, added the Redeemer Sword, Boots of Speed, Girdle of Maegfolc Might, Gaunlets of Might, and ring of Swift Action.  I made changes to the other characters as well.

The battle with the dragon started well but part way through he caught the party in his cold breath attack and pretty well finished the fight.  I sent all remaining characters into a suicidal attack on the dragon and waited for the Party Dead message.  It didn't appear.  The Pallidin with 40 health points continued to battle on standing toe to toe with the dragon surrounded by several Frost Bights and a Sceptre. 

She was invisible to them and continued hitting the dragon.  She had a black fog tinged with purple flowing down her and dissipating on the ground.  She was continually affected by the dragon's terrifiying aura but that didn't affect her health points.  Eventually she killed the dragon then attacked and killed the Frost Bights and Sceptre.  They like the dragon just stood and died without attempting to retaliate. 

The party revived and rested.  The black fog continued to flow off the Pallidin even after the rest.  Two other sceptres showed up off to the right when searching the cave.  They attacked the party except for the Pallidin who quickly finished them off.  Even after existing the cave the Pallidin still had the black fog.  There were no indications that she had a special talent or spell affecting her.

After saving and reloading the fog was gone and the Pallidin was back to normal.

Was this some kind of talent that I accidently unlocked or a bug?

11 answers to this question

I had the same on my rogue. It's a bug that is related to the Cloak of Master Mystic - or the "spell holding: invisibility" enchantment, to be more precise. Sometimes the invisibility effect won't wear off until you save/reload. It happens now and then. I even thought about getting the Backstab talent for such occasions - +100% damage while invisible... nice! ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I've zipped two files.  The first is a save just inside the ice cave prior to attacking the dragon.  The second is just after the paladin has killed the dragon and other enemies. 

To recreate the bug I moved the paladin away from the party into the lower left corner of the cave before the attack.  I wanted to ensure that she wasn't accidently killed by the dragon's AOE breath attack.  Once the party is engaged I attacked the dragon from the back with the paladin.  She becomes invisible which lasts through the entire battle.  None of the enemies can see her so she's able to attack without retalliation. 

When the game is saved/reloaded the paladin is back to normal and the invisibility is gone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w0w72ds617sufx/Paladin%20Bug.zip?dl=0

Hello Grumpiest,

I was not able to reproduce your bug in our latest internal build. Pallegina went invisible but invis broke after 6 seconds and everything could attack her normally afterwards. It is possible that this has been fixed in our latest build, which will be in the beta patch.

Do you have any additional information on how I can recreate this bug? 

Thanks!

No, I don't have any other way to recreate the problem other than as described in my previous post.  I can make it happen every time so if you can't then it may have already been fixed with the next patch level.  I'll try it again once the new patch is released.

For what it's worth I finally got around to updating the game and checking to see if the latest patch fixed the invisible problem.  It did.  The Alpine Dragon slaughtered my party :-(

...nnnnope. It still turns you permanently invisible at random. No idea how to reproduce it and restarting the game fixes it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/64ih1egjfef2co0/inviscloak.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n48agmzum7vesu/b.zip?dl=0 - another one

Edited by kvaak

Hey everyone,

This was a pretty difficult fix, but it's been taken care of on our internal build! You should be able to see the fix in the 3.02 patch =)

Unfortunately it was not fixed in time for the 3.02 beta patch, so you'll have to wait a bit to it in action.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I try my very best.

Amazing news!

Figured it would be a tough fix owing to the random nature of the bug. Out of curiosity, what was causing it (if there's a simple way to put it)?

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

We're still not 100% sure about all of the specific scenarios that would cause the effect clear to skip, but the core of the problem was the status effect clearing being flagged incorrectly. By fixing the flags the status effect clear should be called properly every time now =)

• Like 1

I try my very best.