AI Doesn't Use Per Encounter Spells?

So I just hit level 9, which was exciting because my level 1 spells are all now per encounter. I was really hoping, though, that I wouldn't have to continue micro'ing every spell-cast. I thought the AI would have started to cast level 1 spells automatically when you hit level 9. Why is that function not in?

Just looking at wizard- on average, unless your build is a bit unusual, missiles is going to do more damage than auto-attack. So, I would hope that at the start of each encounter my wizard would spam missiles until he was out of uses (at the very least, ignoring foe-only aoes and such). Instead, he continues to just auto attack and arcane barrage.

I hope there are plans to open up the AI much, much  more. The framework is clearly there, but I really wish we had access to it, as in modded BG, Dragon Age, Final Fantasy 12, etc.

Yes, I am a softcore nub who doesn't want to micro every action. I find setting up AI/gambits/whatever you want to call it to make my party smart and effective without  always microing very fun. I think a lot of other people do as well.

So, in short, I just wanted to ask that:

1) Casters use their per-encounter spells once they hit 9, and

2) AI system gets expanded to be much more interactive

We already know there's support for AI doing things based on triggers, all we need is this exposed to the player so we can tell them what to do at what triggers. Thanks.

• Like 1

I just reached lv9 on a new playthrough after 2.0 hit and i must say, as much as I love the new AI system this is something they should definitely address. NPC AI already knows how to use the per-rest spells, it just need to know that some of the spells can be flagged as per-encounter lategame.

Edited by Uomoz
  • Like 1

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

I agree, but it comes down to two things: (a) the lack of selectable AI scripts, ala IE, enabling players to choose very specifically what level of resource consumption they're willing to see from the AI, and (b) redundancy in AI for allies and enemies, when most enemies don't have the same per-encounter limits as allies for, you know, Reasons.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I agree, but it comes down to two things: (a) the lack of selectable AI scripts, ala IE, enabling players to choose very specifically what level of resource consumption they're willing to see from the AI, and (b) redundancy in AI for allies and enemies, when most enemies don't have the same per-encounter limits as allies for, you know, Reasons.

I'm not sure I follow; there's no reason they couldn't have better scripting ala IE, they just don't.

• 2 months later...

Enemy barbarians can dragon leap onto my guys(in siege of cragholdt), but my barb can't automatically do it, I'd very much like my barb to enter combat with a dragon leap then rest of the party to come for his rescue : D but I have to do it manually. Per encounter spells/abilities(foe only) should be free game for AI packages, no? 

Wish this were like dragon age origins' tactics feature.

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing some time ago but on my recent playthrough I set for all my party except Aloth to use per-rest spells/abilities and it works great. My main was Barb so he's kinda fights in auto-mode and in combat I basically main Aloth (love wizards) so I can control the spell usage. AI doesn't waste per-rest too much and takes loads off in micro for me. In tough fights you go rested and prepared so it doesn't hurt really.

Still, I think this feature will be added in future.