Josh Sawyer confirms BG2-style weapon effects being added for White March including instant death effects

Once again: Players making their life harder (by modifiing the game or using their own rule set) is no excuse for game design.

What you consider difficult or easy is strongly dependent on the player.

My point of view:

BG1 and IWD1 were good regarding difficulty level and how they give items to players.

IWD1 was also much better than POE in encounter design.

BG2 (with ToB) was good in being epic. If you like this or not is up to you.

PST is still the best story in a game ever.

In everything else POE is better than the IE games.

- combat system: In POE everything is accurancy+1d100-defense. AD&D is hard to understand and even then some things make little sense. Some stats should be as high as possible, some as low as possible and some do not matter at all.

- Character creation: In AD&D many classes have dump stats that have absolutely no use for them. The ultimate example is the sorcerer whose magic power does not depend on any stat, only his level is importand. In POE every attribute has at least some use and you cannot max out every stat by rerolling long enough. As long as you can distribute points some people will min/max their stats. But some systems are better than others.

- character developement: In AD&D the only choice after creating your char is to spend weapon profiencies. In POE you select an ability or talent every level.

POE did a lot of things right.

back to topic:

Dear devs. Please do not flood the player with epic items. If you do they do not feel epic anymore. And no slaying weapons please.

Without the really powerfull, gamechanging magic items, BG2/ToB would have been even more caster-centric than it already was, and it was already pretty bad.

In DnD, Casters attack with awesome spells, while martial characters attack with awesome magic weapons.

Martial character should be possible to build for offence and they need SOMETHING to compete when by White March 2 casters will be throwing Confusion, World Maws, and Shining Beacons per-encounter. I joked earlier about how I'd like a Celestial Fury equivalent for a barbarian to roll to stun everyone hit (by carnage) in addition to damage but honestly compared to casters throwing 3rd and 4th level spells without restraint that'd barely even be noteworthy.

As far as I'm concerned, more powerfull weapon effects (like on the level of making the status effects that are currently on-crit to on-hit, or weapons that let them do big damage) are pretty much required unless they're going to buff martial-class offence massively in other ways.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

Looks like Tidefall won't be my only option after all: https://twitter.com/AristotlOmissis/status/634809559819898880

Yay :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

My point of view:

BG1 and IWD1 were good regarding difficulty level and how they give items to players.

IWD1 was also much better than POE in encounter design.

I was really pissed off at BG1 when I found out you missed out the Gauntlets of Dexterity if you talked your way past the Ogres at the Knoll Stronghold, just a terrible design decision.  There were other times like this too, where they were very powerful unique items, that were only available by murdering some random NPC for no obvious reason.

I liked loot in New Vegas, all unique items were fixed, other stuff was random.  

compared to casters throwing 3rd and 4th level spells without restraint that'd barely even be noteworthy.

I really wish they would change how the high level per encounter spells work, 4 plus what whatever extras you get from abilities and gear is way too many.  It would be better if you got only 1 or 2 per encounter then after that were per rest, or if they were per rest but you regenerated one per encounter.

• Like 2