Torment Alpha has started *possible spoilers*

Luridis

when the game comes out, the character i will make will be a jack that NEVER uses effort for anything.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The only feedback I gave about the alpha was that the VO work was good and sometimes excellent, but that the background noise was sometime too loud. Overall, I'm impressed their sound guy did it so well. Forget high priced VO talent, use the people who already work for you. I wonder if he'll be paid separately on top of his sound work.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, I gave up and got me the alpha access as well. So... now I actually wish I hadn't. :>

The alpha is... not really what I would imagine of an alpha. It's the very start of the game, like the first 10 minutes and that's it. What exactly do you want to give feedback on here? Only things you can talk about is the intro text and how you feel about the initial character creation. Well, maybe the dialogue ui too, but that's it pretty much. There is nothing else. Oh, I could go on about how wonky the character movement feels, but then again, I clicked around only 4 or 5 times until the playable part had ended already.

They really could have done something like a combat room after that, just for alpha purpose. Then at least you had something real to spend time on.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I caved as well. Performance was okay but not great on my Geforce 550 (I know it's an Alpha, but I should think the only 3D elements being the character shouldn't be _that_ taxing). I actually dig the fluid animations, which were quite refreshing on the tail end of PoE.

Is that opening narrator the same from Mask of the Betrayer?

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Well, I gave up and got me the alpha access as well. So... now I actually wish I hadn't. :>

The alpha is... not really what I would imagine of an alpha. It's the very start of the game, like the first 10 minutes and that's it. What exactly do you want to give feedback on here? Only things you can talk about is the intro text and how you feel about the initial character creation. Well, maybe the dialogue ui too, but that's it pretty much. There is nothing else. Oh, I could go on about how wonky the character movement feels, but then again, I clicked around only 4 or 5 times until the playable part had ended already.

They really could have done something like a combat room after that, just for alpha purpose. Then at least you had something real to spend time on.

what, you were expecting the whole game? in a public alpha/beta they usually test small individual parts of the game to see if the mechanics and UI work as intended. play testing the entire game is done internally to avoid spoilers

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I hope that no one went out and purchased the alpha based on my account. I already had it available. Moreover, I don't know what they tell folks who purchased the key later, but they were completely up front with the info I received, which is literally it's just the first ten to fifteen minutes of the game.

However, I disagree about the controls. The very beginning the player avatar responds more sluggishly. After that, the controls seemed to work fine with the exception of waiting for areas to open. Maybe I'm just too forgiving, but I don't think the controls are bad. Pretty standard for these kinds of games.

In terms of how the beginning unfolds, I stand by what I've said previously. Maybe because I wasn't paying that much attention to development, but I'm more excited *after* playing the alpha than I was before, but I suppose these things are objective. For me, it actually feels more like PS:T than PoE. It even sounds more like PS:T than PoE. That's not a slight to PoE. It was never meant to be 'more like Planescape.' However, for a title that I backed solely on the basis that it was trying to recapture some of PS:T, I'm pretty happy.

• Like 4

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

what, you were expecting the whole game? in a public alpha/beta they usually test small individual parts of the game to see if the mechanics and UI work as intended. play testing the entire game is done internally to avoid spoilers

There will be a second alpha dubbed "B0" soon which will include combat and some more options and gameplay elements, like saving your game and tasks where failing actually has some real consequences. I mean, something else than affecting the colour of the light in the room. Which was kind of awesome though. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This is an alpha systems test. What I expected they'd test: Does the installation work on all hardware? Does the game start on all hardware? Are there fundamental glitches in the dialogue, sound or graphics engine?

So I got more than I expected, as we already could give feedback on: What is the reaction to the text, to the GUI and to the animation style, all of which is already more than I'd see in other alpha tests. And I must say, I really liked it :)

Niggles:

* do the animated blue blobs on the GUI have a function later on? If not, animate them less.

* movement feels way too indirect because of elaborate animations and speed based on clicking distance

* horrible aliasing / too low res on shadows, reflections, in-game-items such as the bowl, and the inspect-icon

* rendering speed is much too low, while the GUI feels okay-ish regarding its reaction time, though even that is slowed down due to fade-animations for dialogue-choices

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I did not expect the full game, never did. Wasteland 2 was just the Arizona part as well (in the beta), so there is no reason to expect more in Torment. But just the intro dialogue feels a little too rough to me.

What I noticed was, that sometimes my character wasn't responding to clicks on the ground and on the orbs. In one occasion I had to move away a bit to trigger the next orb-dialogue.

The voice actor was pretty good. He could do the whole game, imo. That's my thoughts so far.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Second Alpha test portion is out now, relating to exploration. Submitted two bug reports relating to the conversation UI and the game being unresponsive if you tab out and click back into the game again.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Actually, this part might have been more apropos to illustrate my contribution:

https://youtu.be/faFuaYA-daw?t=50s

-Rod Serling

I'll have to let it download and try it later... CPU is too busy compiling software to even try to run it now. i.e. make -j7... So yes, I want it done today.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Submitted one bug report - I advise against changing resolution currently :) I also commented on the busy-ness (business?) of the portion of the outdoor area: There is too many disparate things going on imho. That also makes me wonder whether they can actually get much content done, because of the apparent effort put in that area. Lastly I still find the characters reacting far too slowly to movement orders because of the initial animations.

I'm really looking forward to playing more of the game. Didn't expect an alpha to actually interest me for more than just seeing whether it runs on my system.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Submitted one bug report - I advise against changing resolution currently :) I also commented on the busy-ness (business?) of the portion of the outdoor area: There is too many disparate things going on imho. That also makes me wonder whether they can actually get much content done, because of the apparent effort put in that area. Lastly I still find the characters reacting far too slowly to movement orders because of the initial animations.

I'm really looking forward to playing more of the game. Didn't expect an alpha to actually interest me for more than just seeing whether it runs on my system.

As far as the movement goes... This being alpha, the nav meshes will likely be in a hurried state, as well as pathing algorithms. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If games are made like most other software, you get the basic functions in first and then tweak the code for bells and whistles later.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I do hope they somehow manage to retain the fluid animations (of course while still making it very responsive). I think little touches in animations really do their part in bringing a game to life, especially with a top-down game,

-Rod Serling

I do hope that walking/running animation is only a placeholder. Whenever a character is doing a 180° turn they end up kind of skating backwards for a spell before actually moving in the other direction. It is... irritating, to say the least.

I'm curious as to whether the Effort Checks will be seeded in the final game so as to curb save scumming. If it was, then would probably raise less of a hoopla if they added a difficulty modifier that removed that (and if you did that, it precluded you from getting an achievement or something or other).

Edited by Agiel

-Rod Serling

I don't even have time to try it. I've been able to play about fifteen minutes of Shadowrun returns over the past week and I *started* a new game of PoE to check out the White March.

Still, I'm stoked about Tides, so I think I'll ink in some time to try the new alpha after Tuesday when I should have a little time. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Obsidian Plays

I'm curious as to whether the Effort Checks will be seeded in the final game so as to curb save scumming. If it was, then would probably raise less of a hoopla if they added a difficulty modifier that removed that (and if you did that, it precluded you from getting an achievement or something or other).

Well, I hope not, because I hate that. No, let me rephrase that, I loathe it.

If you want to stop save-scumming then do it by fiddling with the save system or some other gameplay mechanic and not with a supposedly random dice roll. Especially since plenty of games have god-awful RNGs that cluster results like there's no tomorrow, and judging from my experience with B0 Torment is going to have the same problem. I went one playthrough without failing a single effort roll and the next without ever winning one, even if it was simple.

I think the devs talked about the issue and they are actually implementing different paths for failures instead of "forcing" players to reload. One of the might checks in B0 gives you a permanent might pool increase if you fail it while it yields a makeshift weapon if you succeed. :)

Edited by majestic

I don't particularly care for seeded rolls either, since I tend to skew towards letting players play the game how they want to play it (you can bet your ass I abused the hell out of alchemy and enchanting in the Elder Scrolls games). I guess Inxile would be better off just letting the save system be abuseable in the normal mode and just put in the Iron Man mode for the try-hards.

• Like 1

-Rod Serling