Wizard spell selection unlimited

the streaker

Question

Not exactly a bug, but the wizard's spell-selection-at-levelup mechanic, including learning spells from enemy grimoires, is completely invalidated by the fact that you can go to any inn, create a wizard 1 level lower than yourself, and gain access to every spell up to that level. This essentially makes wizards identical to priests and druids, except you only have 4 slots per level.

I can't think of any easy way of fixing this, or if it even needs fixing, but it makes spell selection feel meaningless.

7 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure the selection at level up isn't so much to limit your repertoire as to ensure you can at least cast some spells of each level even if you don't know where to hunt down the right grimoire. Eventually you'll know most (I guess all?) spells and the limitation is how many you can prepare.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Not exactly a bug, but the wizard's spell-selection-at-levelup mechanic, including learning spells from enemy grimoires, is completely invalidated by the fact that you can go to any inn, create a wizard 1 level lower than yourself, and gain access to every spell up to that level. This essentially makes wizards identical to priests and druids, except you only have 4 slots per level.

I can't think of any easy way of fixing this, or if it even needs fixing, but it makes spell selection feel meaningless.

By the time you get enough cash to buy these companions (let's be serious there's only a few good spells in the first two tiers), you pretty much have tons of grimoire drops from dead enemy wizards to get the rest of the spells. Not to mention if you roll a wizard, aloth also gives you extra spells and since you can only deploy 4 spells each tier in a battle unless you want a cd, it's not that big of a deal. You also have to pay to copy the spell. It's a money sink

Edited by Dinky Dino

This essentially makes wizards identical to priests and druids, except you only have 4 slots per level.

The having-to-learn-spells is a red herring, since in the end you'll have every wizard spell in the game without trying too hard (though I remember a few spells being found mainly through "unique" spellbooks [ones with special names, like Willbreaker]). The main differentiation is rather wizards have *more* spells per level (about 50% more) and the trade off for *that* is they can only cast 4 at any time without incurring a severe time penalty.

I'm pretty sure the selection at level up isn't so much to limit your repertoire as to ensure you can at least cast some spells of each level even if you don't know where to hunt down the right grimoire. Eventually you'll know most (I guess all?) spells and the limitation is how many you can prepare.

Well that's exactly it, right? Either learn at level up or hunt down the grimoire. But you can also just go to the inn and learn all the spells you want for a nominal fee. Like I said its not a big deal, but it is an obvious circumvention of the game mechanics.

With 2 wizards leveling up in the party simultaneously you don't even need to exploit, between them and the lots of grimoires you find you reach full spells by the end game.

Well that's exactly it, right? Either learn at level up or hunt down the grimoire. But you can also just go to the inn and learn all the spells you want for a nominal fee. Like I said its not a big deal, but it is an obvious circumvention of the game mechanics.

I'm not sure if it's an "obvious circumvention" but rather something that is explicitly available to you, at a cost.

There was talk about "unique spells" back in the day. If that ever comes back, then the copy-into-grimoire aspect would be relevant. But as of now, the having-to-learn-spells aspect is mainly just a rate limit to what spells you can cast (rate-limited either in terms of finding grimoires or available money).

With 2 wizards leveling up in the party simultaneously you don't even need to exploit, between them and the lots of grimoires you find you reach full spells by the end game.

I don't think you even need the 2 wizards. I kept Aloth in the stronghold and near the end, I really didn't care about what spells to pick for him since my other wizard already knew them all and could transfer them to Aloth at will (for a nominal fee).