[Class Builds] Ranged Ranger, Ranged Rogue, Melee Rogue

There seems to be a lot of talk about how rangers are ****, rogues do twice as much damage, and that a rogue is actually a better ranger than a ranger. Very few provide numbers for backing. I've created a spreadsheet to calculate total DPS produced by a ranged ranger, ranged rogue and three melee rogue builds. The builds are listed below.

The spreadsheet lists all the builds, talents, abilities, stats, weapon mods and shows a final DPS number. There's obviously a lot of choices involved, but I think I've nailed down pretty good builds. Of course, this is open for commentary.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SxOGRbCPDMSV9RK_cGe-4xKVbjcnsReOIXffeQ-OwSU/edit?usp=sharing

Below is quick description of builds and final outcome:

Ranged Ranger: Wood Elf with Arquebus.

22 Might, 22 Dex

Talents: Weapon Focus, Swift & Steady, Marksman, Gunner

Abilities: Swift Aim, Stalker's Link, Driving Flight

Ranged Rogue: Wood Elf with Warbow

22 Might, 22 Dex

Talents: Weapon Focus, Penetrating Shot, Marksman, Vicious Fighting

Abilities: Sneak Attack, Dirty Fighting

Melee Rogue: Orlan with Estoc/2x Sabres/2x Stilettos

21 Might, 21 Dex

Talents: Weapon Focus, Two-handed/Two-weapon Style, Savage Attack, Vicious Fighting

Abilities: Sneak Attack, Reckless Assault, Dirty Fighting

Results:

Ranger - 10.4 DPS main target, 18.8 DPS main target + secondary target + pet

Ranged Rogue - 8.7 DPS main target

Melee Rogue - 20.7 DPS main target

So, in my humble opinion, the ranger is number one in ranged single-target DPS, the rogue is number one in melee single-target DPS, and ranger compares very closely to melee rogue in total DPS. The claims that rangers are terrible are clearly not very true.

No, I am not counting per encounter or situational abilities. They both have good ones, rogue probably moreso, but this is a comparison of raw long-term DPS.

Yes, I am assuming the rogues are doing sneak attacks constantly, because with a party to support, that is reasonable (if not a bit generous to the rogue). I am also assuming the ranger has a chanter singing sure-handed Ila, because if you have a ranger it makes sense to get a chanter and a shooter-heavy party. I feel these two balance each other out.

Yes, I guessed about the ranger pet's DPS being 20% of ranger primary DPS. It might be a bit more or less, but it's too much work to calculate for something pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The pet does do some pretty decent damage, with good accuracy. If you disagree, please show me the calcs.

Yes, I assumed nobody is wearing any armor. Much easier on a shooter than a melee character, especially since rogue's deflection stat is poor, but whatever, let's assume you're a hot-**** micromanager who manages to never get hit.

Let me know what you think. My sources are calcs that have been proven on these forums, but some of them could very well be wrong.

Edited by the streaker
  • Like 1

Is that 10 DPS number for the Ranger on the primary target without the pet alive?  Otherwise, it just demonstrates exactly why the Rogue is better.  Most arguments are about how the Ranger does okay to good ranged damage as long as the pet is up and actually attacking as well.  But the pet dies a lot, even on Hard, and on PotD it's extremely annoying to use.

Edited by Sanctuary

Is that 10 DPS number for the Ranger on the primary target without the pet alive?  Otherwise, it just demonstrates exactly why the Rogue is better.  Most arguments are about how the Ranger does okay to good ranged damage as long as the pet is up and actually attacking as well.  But the pet dies a lot, even on Hard, and on PotD it's extremely annoying to use.

10dps is just the ranger's arquebus. I suppose you should add pet DPS, but I didn't because I didn't accurately calculate it.

Do you assume enemies have 15 DR?

15 DR for main damage, 10 DR for lash damage is shown on the spreadsheet. My goal was to compare DPS on tough enemies. Cleaning up trash mobs is more a job for AoE classes.

Edited by the streaker

Unless they buff the pets (they are made of paper...), there is no reason to consider a Ranger as a DPS role in a party. When you build him as a stun machine, well there is a potential. 

Ranger with Quick Switch will outdamage anyone in the party tho , assuming he has the best blunderbuss'es , also cipher or rogue doing same tactic would do more damage probably but cipher has to cast spells and rogue needs debuffs from other party members for that , want mad burst? Island Aumaua Ranger+4 Blunderbuss'es , pet is a real problem tho you gota take huge risk for +8 accuracy from attacking same target as your pet but you risk loosing pet and getting that evil debuff... bear is only viable option here .

I am not convinced or I just can't read it. Ranger can pack his damage by Vicous Aim which gives him 1.2 more damage. But Rogue can have 0.5 damage bonus to his attack from Sneak Attack.

So let assume both are Wood Elfs, have weapon focus: Soldier (+6 Arquebus) plus Marksman.

So they both shoot from Solid Arquebus to same target. Lets meet Rogie condition to Sneak Attack and we have 0.5 damage more to fire arm damage, plus Pentrating Shot (5 DR) plus 0.25 from ability (like Blinding Strike) plus Lash. Lets assume we took Deathblows and in party it is easy to get two condition on enemy so Sneak Attack will deal even more damage.

So Ranger have same Arquebus. He fires with Pentrating shot (5DR) plus Vicious Aim (0.2 damage more), plus Lash and....thats it. I can see how Ranger can have more accuracy then Rogue so more cirtics, but Rogue can have 20% hits convert to Critics.

I don't see where this DPS comes from. Unless there is some Ranger hidden skill that makes him doing more damage then Rogue Sneak Attack with Deathblows.

I can see that IF WE take DOT from Binding Roots, Wounding Shot and pet damage we can end up with some numbers.

But so far I am playing now Wood Elf Rogue for Firearms and since in party enemies have PERMA conditions every fights he hits like a truck with Sneak Attack, and I dont have Deathblows yet. My Ranger can't hit such damage. MAYBE with Marked Target but that is only once in fight for one guy. With AOE spells, My Rogue hits every enemy with 0.5 more damage.

I don't see where this damage comes from. Clearly Rogue will deal more damage per shot then Ranger.

Edited by Voltron

Forget Arquebus wood elf's and stuff like that - wrong approach, its all about Blunderbuss , Island Aumaua  , Quick Switch ,  Arms Bearer , Penetrating Shots , Envenomed Strike( You apply 1 Envenomed Strike out of 6 but it make's sure it CRIT ) , Gunner , Ruffian Focus - Rogue Cant have this build unless you skip all rogue talents . Meanwhile ranger skips nothing of use . Also Vicious Aim + Marked Pray + Wounding Shots + Stunning Shots+ Stalkers Link are great skillset to fire 4 blunderbusses into somebody's face . Also you can either have a wizard for combusting wounds or use combusting wounds ring yourself or on any1 else to make this build super sweet 

Open Fight with Marked Pray+Someone casts Combusting Wounds and 1-shot one target , then start using Wounding Shots + Envenomed Strike while quick switching after every shot . Guaranteed : Most Damage done in Party , Most kills done in Party , Most time Consumed in Party 

Edited by Atchod

Forget Arquebus wood elf's and stuff like that - wrong approach, its all about Blunderbuss , Island Aumaua  , Quick Switch ,  Arms Bearer , Penetrating Shots , Envenomed Strike( You apply 1 Envenomed Strike out of 6 but it make's sure it CRIT ) , Gunner , Ruffian Focus - Rogue Cant have this build unless you skip all rogue talents . Meanwhile ranger skips nothing of use . Also Vicious Aim + Marked Pray + Wounding Shots + Stunning Shots+ Stalkers Link are great skillset to fire 4 blunderbusses into somebody's face . Also you can either have a wizard for combusting wounds or use combusting wounds ring yourself or on any1 else to make this build super sweet 

No, that is not wrong approach. I mean true Ranger who fight with most range weapon, your typical sniper. That is not blunderbuss. Besides If I'd like to go 4x Blunderbuss I would build Rogue and go close from beind tanks and fire with Sneak Attack plus Backstab 2x damage bonus with Envenomed Strike.

But that is not my idea. Lets take war bow, arquebus, arbalets, pistol, hunting bow and any other range weapon APART blunderbus, which is only one weapon.

I ask where is this damage of Ranger. My Rogue can easly have 0.75 more damage with 5 DR EACH SHOT for EACH ENEMY. I dont need ONE marked pray, just ONE chill fog from Aloth and I can deal superb damage to All enemies in the Area.

You take your Blunderbuss Ranger to show me that THIS PARTICULAR BUILD is superb for Ranger. Yes, I can see it can work better for Ranger than Rogue. 

But I will make my build for War Bow with Rogue and your War Bow Ranger won't match him. That is not the point.

Point is- I do not see from which skills Ranger hit more then Rogue per shot with range weapons.

Stunning Shots are cool but in party I will take damage over Stun effect anytime. I have other party members from AOE CC. And solo- nobody did Ranger Triple Crown solo yer. Rogue did it.

Edited by Voltron

I am not convinced or I just can't read it. Ranger can pack his damage by Vicous Aim which gives him 1.2 more damage. But Rogue can have 0.5 damage bonus to his attack from Sneak Attack.

So let assume both are Wood Elfs, have weapon focus: Soldier (+6 Arquebus) plus Marksman.

So they both shoot from Solid Arquebus to same target. Lets meet Rogie condition to Sneak Attack and we have 0.5 damage more to fire arm damage, plus Pentrating Shot (5 DR) plus 0.25 from ability (like Blinding Strike) plus Lash. Lets assume we took Deathblows and in party it is easy to get two condition on enemy so Sneak Attack will deal even more damage.

So Ranger have same Arquebus. He fires with Pentrating shot (5DR) plus Vicious Aim (0.2 damage more), plus Lash and....thats it. I can see how Ranger can have more accuracy then Rogue so more cirtics, but Rogue can have 20% hits convert to Critics.

I don't see where this DPS comes from. Unless there is some Ranger hidden skill that makes him doing more damage then Rogue Sneak Attack with Deathblows.

I can see that IF WE take DOT from Binding Roots, Wounding Shot and pet damage we can end up with some numbers.

But so far I am playing now Wood Elf Rogue for Firearms and since in party enemies have PERMA conditions every fights he hits like a truck with Sneak Attack, and I dont have Deathblows yet. My Ranger can't hit such damage. MAYBE with Marked Target but that is only once in fight for one guy. With AOE spells, My Rogue hits every enemy with 0.5 more damage.

I don't see where this damage comes from. Clearly Rogue will deal more damage per shot then Ranger.

Well, all of the numbers are shown on the spreadsheet, and I haven't added anything that's not listed in the build section. Maybe you think sneak attack multiplies DPS by 150%? It "only" adds 0.5x base weapon damage, whereas your total DPS includes many other factors as you can see. Ranger, meanwhile, has a lot of speed increases which speed up all additional bonus damage, so they actually multiply with other speed increases and with damage boosts.

Deathblows is a bit too conditional for me to justify adding it to the sustained DPS numbers. Even if you do, it still does not do as much damage as ranger primary + pet DPS, and nowhere near the total figure once you account for driving flight.

Edited by the streaker

Well, all of the numbers are shown on the spreadsheet, and I haven't added anything that's not listed in the build section. Maybe you think sneak attack multiplies DPS by 150%? It "only" adds 0.5x base weapon damage, whereas your total DPS includes many other factors as you can see. Ranger, meanwhile, has a lot of speed increases which speed up all additional bonus damage, so they actually multiply with other speed increases and with damage boosts.

Deathblows is a bit too conditional for me to justify adding it to the sustained DPS numbers. Even if you do, it still does not do as much damage as ranger primary + pet DPS, and nowhere near the total figure once you account for driving flight.

You say to Ranger "all additional bonus damage"- what damage apart from Vicous Aim? I don't see any more. Ranger can shoot faster and that means more DPS? Yup, maybe, but from where is this faster shooting? Vicious Aim makes you shoot slower and Penetraiting Shot also. While in Rogue there is only Penteraiting Shot penalty.

I ask- where is this more damage per shot for ranger. Do not count pet damage as in 90% time in PotD he won't be in front line dealing damage since it is 2 shoted by most stuff in game. Show me where is Ranger more damage per arrow/shot than Rogue BECASUE I DO NOT SEE ANY TALENTS THAT INCREASE IT. Even if Sneak attack is not 50% but 0.5, it is 0.5. Deathblows even more.

Marked Prey- ok, cool. So i used it on this one guy- dead. 5 more enemies to go. Where is more damage now?

Apart from Vicious Aim 0.2 damage bonus, which makes Ranger shot slower- where is this more damage from Ranger? They have no other skill/talent that increase damage, so where is it?

No, that is not wrong approach. I mean true Ranger who fight with most range weapon, your typical sniper. 

.... /thread

...../arguments

Edited by Voltron

2 biggest problem with rangers are:

pet sucks and die really fast on potd.

lack of damage modifiers making them horrible with bows (im guessing most people that complain about damage are using bows)

but yea i dont doubt that if u stack proper amount of speed and accuracy on them they will do good damage granted the pet is alive but u put a bow on them or having your pet die will lead to abysmal dps.

Edited by dudex

@Voltron

You whine about Rangers being Weaker to Rogues , but 

You wont build Ranger in a way where it does the most damage and out damage's Rogue 

Also you want PoE ranger's to be exactly like you imagine in your wet dreams about fantasy world and come here complaining that they are not like you have imagined

Meanwhile Ranger's only problem is Animal Companion being utter crap and Bonding Grief or w/e its called to be pain in the ass, but you still can do enormous amount of damage only if you decide to stop jerking off about your "true sniper" and play true quickswitcher rofl . Please stop

When your own arguments are utter **** asking for them from others is not always a bright idea , because look what happens . 

Edit : Also ranger was never meant to be true sniper in PoE , hence the animal companion thing . 

Edited by Atchod

@Voltron

You whine about Rangers being Weaker to Rogues , but 

You wont build Ranger in a way where it does the most damage and out damage's Rogue 

Also you want PoE ranger's to be exactly like you imagine in your wet dreams about fantasy world and come here complaining that they are not like you have imagined

Meanwhile Ranger's only problem is Animal Companion being utter crap and Bonding Grief or w/e its called to be pain in the ass, but you still can do enormous amount of damage only if you decide to stop jerking off about your "true sniper" and play true quickswitcher rofl . Please stop

When your own arguments are utter **** asking for them from others is not always a bright idea , because look what happens . 

Ok, listen. I do not want to discuss with you who tell me only about ONE BUILD THAT IS SUPERB FOR RANGER. I told you- lets take your ONE BUILD for ONE WEAPON FOR RANGER- great! Your is best- are you wet now? Yes, Blunderbuss Ranger build is superior to Blunerbuss Rogue build- very good. I got it.

Now lets make build for pistols.

Lets make build for War Bows

Lets make build for Hunting Bows.

Lets make build for Arquebus.

Lets make build for Arbalest.

Hel lets make build for melee, any.

You are still with your one build that is superior- cool! Play it forever and tell me Ranger is better than Rogue 1 time per 10 in range fight. I will have fun doing little more builds that are still effective and I can actualy take different race and different talents....hmmm.... And you know what- I can do Rogue to be like in my wet dreams. Hell, I can build him even for other "wet dream" character! You can build your Ranger for Blunderbuss- cool!

Hell, lets make build for wands!

Your logic is that I refuse to play best build for Ranger and that proof that this class is better IN EVERY way then Rogue. Going this way I should refuse to play solo any other class than Retal OSA Barbarian moonlike since "You won't play solo in most effective way and out damage every other character".

Barbarian is superior to every class since he has OSA Retal build. Only one build, but whatever- superior! You can't whine about Barbarian when they have ONE SUPER BUILD. No, no, no. Everything is fine with Barbarians. They have no other good build, but this one is great- that means whole class is great!

Please don't answer me anymore. I don't have time to "discuss" in such pro manner.

Edited by Voltron

Pets aren't as bad as everyone makes them seem. Assuming you sent it in after the tank has engaged, you play like a DPS melee rogue with no armor and 3 CON and reckless assault, i.e. carefully. Yeah it's micromanagement, but so is a melee rogue. The bear with maybe a spare talent point in the +pet DR ability does just fine like this. If not, get the priest to drop an armor of faith on your tank and hit the bear, or worst case scenario have the cipher drop a pain block on it and it's good till the cows come home.

@Voltron, the ranger damage comes from the higher base damage of an arquebus, Might bonus, weapon lash and quality bonus, and damage rolls due to higher accuracy (not much). Most of the DPS is due to increased reload and recovery speed.

• Like 1

Voltron seriously , why do you think ranger quick switching Arquebus , Pistol , Crossbow , or Arbalest wouldnt out damage rogue who uses the same weapon? Anything that has reload animation rango beats rogue to ****in dust and let's a bear to take dump on top . 

That is Niche for Rangers to use wepaon's that has high reload times , also they get superior CC over rogue : Stuning Shots and Binding Roots . While ranged rogue roll's with bow's and uses single target debuffs to make targets weaker . It is clearly that your wet fantasy dream was about ranged rogue not a ranger , why not play it and stop whining ? 

Bear can hold Front Line with some buffs and heals it gets from being near the tanks easy , but this is not ideal scenario for ranger , you want your pet to be able to freely reach the targets in the back to disrupt them while ranger clint eastwood them all .

Edited by Atchod

EDIT:

You know, I don't care to discuss with you- its pointless. Lets say your opinions is best, you are right and I am wrong, because I don't care, really. I have better things to do.

Cheers.

Edited by Voltron

You clearly are the one not reading ... i told you : IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE A  BLUNDERBUSS IT CAN BE ANY WEAPON THAT HAS HIGH RELOAD TIME THAT IS : PISTOL , BLUNDERBUSS,ARQUEBUS,CROSSBOW, ARBALEST , and ranger will out damage a rogue who is using same weapon as ranger given its one of those weapons i pointed out to you also in caps this time , so it easier to read for you !

p.S. just look at this rekt. 

PS. Just one more time for you- I agreed that Blunderbus Ranger is better than Blunderbus Rogue (in case you missed it again). Super. Now- any other weapon Ranger will be better with? No? I thought so.

and that was posted after i wrote :

Voltron seriously , why do you think ranger quick switching Arquebus , Pistol , Crossbow , or Arbalest wouldnt out damage rogue who uses the same weapon? Anything that has reload animation rango beats rogue to ****in dust and let's a bear to take dump on top . 

Edited by Atchod

You clearly are the one not reading ... i told you : IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE A  BLUNDERBUSS IT CAN BE ANY WEAPON THAT HAS HIGH RELOAD TIME THAT IS : PISTOL , BLUNDERBUSS,ARQUEBUS,CROSSBOW, ARBALEST , and ranger will out damage a rogue who is using same weapon as ranger given its one of those weapons i pointed out to you also in caps this time , so it easier to read for you !

p.S. just look at this rekt. 

PS. Just one more time for you- I agreed that Blunderbus Ranger is better than Blunderbus Rogue (in case you missed it again). Super. Now- any other weapon Ranger will be better with? No? I thought so.

and that was posted after i wrote :

As I said- I don't care. You have your opinion, I have mine. Seems we play different games maybe- I dont care. It is pointless. Lets say you are right and that is fine for me since it does not change anything for me.

And yes true I missed that you were talking about other weapons- I admit to mistake. Still I do not recal Ranger talent that makes him swithc weapon quicker then other classes.....

Of course seems like Rogue can't take quick switch skill, Anuma race and switch as fast with Arquebuses or Pistols- ow well, seems like ths is Ranger exclusive talent that I missed!

Atchod- you are right! Sleep well!

Edited by Voltron

Why would skip all the rogue talents , when you can take them and other accuracy stuff and just wreck faces with a bow doing crits i never said ranger outdamages rogue overall as ranged dps i mean that ranger is better with weapons that takes times to reload , and rogue is better with bows and you want a bow character why not go rogue and just stop whining , it seems you want to whine before anything else go whine somewhere else sleep well yourself sir goodnight .

Why would skip all the rogue talents , when you can take them and other accuracy stuff and just wreck faces with a bow doing crits i never said ranger outdamages rogue overall as ranged dps i mean that ranger is better with weapons that takes times to reload , and rogue is better with bows and you want a bow character why not go rogue and just stop whining , it seems you want to whine before anything else go whine somewhere else sleep well yourself sir goodnight .

But for Gun Ranged Rogue I need only Crippling Strike (game start), Dirty Fighting, Vicious Fighting and Deathblows. 4 class talents. Then all I need is Marksman, Focus: Soldier (or any other), Quick Switch (lets take Anuma as race) and Penetraiting Shot. Arquebus build done. If I want War BOw, I can skip Quick Switch, take Wood Elf and take something else, anything.

Since negative status on enemies are being constant made by party members AOE- I do not have to bother with Blinding Strike, Withering Strike, Fearsome Strike and of course I skip all melee Rogue talents since this is sniper build with 3 CON :p. I do not even need Shadowing (but its cool for escaping teleporting Shades) or Escape, since I stand far behind tanks and priest.

Ok, lets calm down. I was too passionate with my posting. It happens to me. I apologize if I offended you. No offense taken Atchod.

Edited by Voltron

Spreadsheets don't reflect considerations like the pet engaging late because otherwise it dies when even slightly focused, every doorway battle depriving the ranger of their pet damage AND their linked accuracy talent because the pet can't reach the enemy, etc.  Meanwhile all the ranged rogue needs is debuffs you were gonna place anyway.

If PoE was programmed in Excel,  rangers would be competitive.  Unfortunately...

LAst time I checked, Driving Flight often does like significantly less DMG since it doesnt do any of the Lash damage, which is 50% if you use a chanter.

Bear pet does not seem to survive much better than any other pet in Potd.

Deepwound damage is actually very significant,

Do people not use Final Blow,? with the improved talent it kills anything sub 50% stamina if you also quality for sneakattack/deathblow.

Spreadsheets don't reflect considerations like the pet engaging late because otherwise it dies when even slightly focused, every doorway battle depriving the ranger of their pet damage AND their linked accuracy talent because the pet can't reach the enemy, etc.  Meanwhile all the ranged rogue needs is debuffs you were gonna place anyway.

If PoE was programmed in Excel,  rangers would be competitive.  Unfortunately...

Losing linked accuracy and removing pet damage from the equation would still not bring the ranged rogue close to the DPS number the ranger is capable of. This is without counting non-spreadsheet considerations such as the ranger being able to immobilize and stun targets, and the pet acting as a makeshift tank in emergencies where one is immediately needed. Rogue, on the other hand, is pure spreadsheet DPS with no other uses.