Charm attacks target deflection, not will. Bug?

El Zoido

Question

After a discussion on the usefulness of talents like Mental Fortress (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77842-body-control-mental-fortress-unstoppable-broken/), it was brought up that certain Charm/Confuse attacks actually target deflection rather than will.

In particular the Confusion attack from Dank Spores and the Charm attack of Fampyrs go directly against the targeted character's Deflection attribute, not the Will attribute as one would expect.

In contrast to some "special" attacks that can trigger an additional effect after a 2nd roll, those attacks only target deflection, at no point is another defensive attribute (i.e. Willpower in this case) ever involved.

In consequence it's useless to bolster Will to defend against certain enemies - I suspect that aside from the two types mentioned here, more enemies are subject to this issue.

Edited by El Zoido

6 answers to this question

with spores i think its intentional, as they spit something AT you. as for fampyrs, vithrack and (adragans?) im not sure

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

But even if we consider that they spit something at you, I would expect that it works like other attacks that have additional effects, i.e. first it's checked if the attack hits (deflection), then a roll is made for the additional effect against the respective defense (will in that case).

That isn't happening, though.

• Like 4

vithrack dominate- targets will
Vithrack aditional effect on hit(paralyze)-fort

Vithrack(boss only?) aoe stun-will             
adragan petrify- Fort

adragan dominate-will

Swam Spore Dominate-deflection

Dank Spore Confusion-deflection

Whil o whisp additional effect confusion-will
Fampyr Charm-Deflection

Edited by Khalid the bear
  • Like 1

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

you're missing fampyr charm.

and I think that does target deflection, because they ALWAYS ended up charming the character with the lowest deflection in my party, which coincidentally, also had the highest will score.

I can't recall EVER actually being successful in saving against that charm at any time, over 6 or 7 separate fampyr fights.  I basically always plan for aloth to go to the enemy side, and have a paralyze or knockdown to take him out of the fight when he does.

yeah... even will score over 100 didn't phase that charm.

edited for Fampyrs