wanna roll a rogue this time, a purely ranged rogue I think. (if possible)
Can someone maybe give me a stat build to use? :) I'm not that great with the stat mechanics of this game.. I have a basic idea of what would work.
But a stat build that would be the best would be even better. thanks ;D

I'll probably be a Wood Elf.. and OH also what "skills" should I have? Mechanics/Stealth I suppose? anything else?

DAMN, i just realized I put a "Y" in Rogue... idk why I did that, oops.

Edited by Celerion

wanna roll a rogue this time, a purely ranged rogue I think. (if possible)

Can someone maybe give me a stat build to use? :) I'm not that great with the stat mechanics of this game.. I have a basic idea of what would work.

But a stat build that would be the best would be even better. thanks ;D

I'll probably be a Wood Elf.. and OH also what "skills" should I have? Mechanics/Stealth I suppose? anything else?

DAMN, i just realized I put a "Y" in Rogue... idk why I did that, oops.

No expert here, but I'd probably go with:

MIG 18

DEX 20

RES 18

distribute the rest as you will.

For skills, Mechanics is necessary on only 1 character, really. So if you're speccing someone else with it, don't bother with the Rogue. For a ranged Rogue, I'm not sure I see the need for high Stealth either. Put at least 3 ranks into Athletics though, so you don't get pestered by fatigue. Since he/she will be ranged, you might get some yucks and giggles from Lore so you can use scrolls.

• Like 2

if you make a ranged rogue, you don't need constitution.

dump it.

you want to do as much damage as possible, so max might and dex.

dependig on how much you value your rogue disabler abilities, invest or dump intellect.

if you want to disable with other party members, like ciphers, to prepare them for sneak attacks, you can dump intellect as well.

if you want to use the rogue abilities invest a little in intellect.

perception and resolve aren't as important.

as a ranged character you shouldn't engage alot of enemies, so deflection isn't as important.

ranged weapons are bad at interrupting, so forget about your interrupt rating.

and you also shouldn't get interrupted yourself much, so concentration isn't as important.

i would recommend this:

might max

con min

dex max

per remaining points

int min

res remaining points

but if you want to have more attribute dialogue options, all that would change a little again.

• Like 1

There's 2 school of thoughts for ranged rogue which boils down to slow to fast weapons with swaps or just using one.

20 dex gives you roughly 30% faster shooting which is great for a rogue.

Gunner gives you 20% less on the reload animation only which over the course of a minute will give you an extra shot. Practically this means with a chanter you get an extra shot every 30 seconds which is not much.

Quick swap talent and using island aumua to go for a brace of guns will give you a much higher rate of fire until you need to reload. Best way is to use the alpha of 3 guns and then use a pistol to me but I haven't optimized this fully. Additionally 6% dmg increase is nice for a ranged rogue.

Otherwise you go for the wood elf alpha with 1 gun or arbalest and then optionally swap to a faster weapon. Rogue is one of the rare classes due to the sneak attack modifier that can get away with some faster and lower dmg weapons.

The first is a little annoying to micro the second is much easier.

Finally use items and scrolls. It is amazing.

Edited by MoxyWoo
  • Like 1

Wood elf 18/8/17/15/5/15.

There's no reason to not max dexterity here, if you're going down to 5 int, might as well take it all the way and go to 3 int and 19 dex. Personally I think you should also just drop con to 3 and spread the rest to Per and Resolve for more conversation options, interrupts (i guess they're better than nothing) and will save.

18/3/20/16/3/18

Edited by SilchasRuin
  • Like 1

^Agreed with the above.  Rogue also has terrible deflection and for some odd feeling I get the idea they purposefully made it that way so stats could somewhat make up for it by dumping INT and CON.  Most of their encounter effects are long enough anyway, and they lack AoE.

• Like 1

Rogue archers are really strong as long as you can keep putting down debuffs and understand flanking for early fights. Blinding Strike and other duration effects benefit from Intelligence and Shadowing Beyond benefits from duration. Resolve is great for conversations but I'd say Int is more valuable from a combat perspective (and also used in Conversation checks). Also, any high might character is great with a few points in Lore for scroll use and Int obviously benefits that a lot.

• Like 1

There's 2 school of thoughts for ranged rogue which boils down to slow to fast weapons with swaps or just using one.

20 dex gives you roughly 30% faster shooting which is great for a rogue.

Gunner gives you 20% less on the reload animation only which over the course of a minute will give you an extra shot. Practically this means with a chanter you get an extra shot every 30 seconds which is not much.

Quick swap talent and using island aumua to go for a brace of guns will give you a much higher rate of fire until you need to reload. Best way is to use the alpha of 3 guns and then use a pistol to me but I haven't optimized this fully. Additionally 6% dmg increase is nice for a ranged rogue.

Otherwise you go for the wood elf alpha with 1 gun or arbalest and then optionally swap to a faster weapon. Rogue is one of the rare classes due to the sneak attack modifier that can get away with some faster and lower dmg weapons.

The first is a little annoying to micro the second is much easier.

Finally use items and scrolls. It is amazing.

I think that there's something to be said for a arquebus/bow combo.  Use the gun for the opening shot for an instant high alpha sneak attack, and then switch to a bow for a faster rate of fire.  Or perhaps switch to a crossbow for the slightly higher RoF, but with less of a loss of firepower. 

Another alternative is the Forgiveness pistol which while "very slow" has a 1.2 speed multiplier.  Don't know if this turns a "very slow" into a merely "slow" weapon or not, but assuming it works, it's something.  And once a battle is well and truly joined, the shorter range probably isn't a major issue.

• Like 2

If you're playing a Rogue PC, I'd honestly have that character be the traps and locks master.  For starters, you get a +2 in Mechanics for being a rogue.  And with either a Laborer or Merchant background, you get another +1 in Mechanics.  That's not a bad start, one which non-rogues can't match.

I'd put as many point in Mechanics as possible, and try to spread some to Stealth, Athletics, and Lore.  Having a little stealth is useful.  And having about 3 points in Athletics is a near must for all adventurers.  (Basically, anything below 3 and your adventurer is out of shape and will get tired more quickly than he or she should.)  And some points in Lore doesn't hurt.  It's nice to have the option to cast level 1 or even 2 scrolls.

• Like 1