[1.3] Custom formations don't work as intended

AndreaColombo

Question

When using a custom formation with a 6-character party, the 6th character will not abide by the position assigned to it.

SAVED GAME: link

REPRO STEPS:

Load the attached saved game (if I did things right, you'll be in Caed Nua with a 6-party character + Itumaak).

Observe that a custom formation is currently selected; check how it looks "on paper" (i.e. how I arranged characters in the custom formation interface).

Move the party.

While characters move, observe that Sagani's and Itumaak's green pointers (the green circles that appear on the ground where the characters will stop) are not where they should be according to the custom formation assigned.

When characters get to the point where you clicked, further observe how Sagani and Itumaak are in completely different positions from what the custom formation would mandate.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

7 answers to this question

I have also seen this sort of misbehavior.  I have this configuration:

□□□1□□□
□□□2□□□
□□3□4□□
□□□5□□□
□□□6□□□

but what I get is more like this:

□ □ □ 1 □ □ □

□ □ □ 2 □ □ □

□ □ 3 □ 4 □ □
□ □ □ □ □ □ □

□ □ □ 6 □ □ □

The character in my #5 slot is Hiravias, who was the last to join my party, and has been manually dragged to slot 5...so it is possible that he is actually in the "6th" character slot, depending on how the game's database handles characters who are dragged to a different position in the party UI.

• Like 1

I've had this come up a few times, and the fix is just to click on the formation again. This seems to "reset" the positions for everyone.

For me, seems like the trigger is when I recruit/dismiss a character. I guess the game doesn't re-apply the formation in that case and they get some sort of default position.

• Like 2

I've had this come up a few times, and the fix is just to click on the formation again. This seems to "reset" the positions for everyone.

This did indeed work for me.

Although it would still be nice if custom formations worked fine from the get-go :)

Nice to have a workaround handy, though!

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I had some issues with that as well, although it seems to work lately.

There's definitely at least one bug with custom formations:

1) Set up a custom formation and activate it

2) Move around a bit, then change the custom formation

3) Move around again, notice it's still using the old formation

4) Switch to a pre-made formation and back to custom

5) Only now is the new custom formation applied.

• Like 1

I had some issues with that as well, although it seems to work lately.

There's definitely at least one bug with custom formations:

1) Set up a custom formation and activate it

2) Move around a bit, then change the custom formation

3) Move around again, notice it's still using the old formation

4) Switch to a pre-made formation and back to custom

5) Only now is the new custom formation applied.

Yeah I think the issue is that simply messing around with the custom formation doesn't activate it, or does some weird default. I've always gotten into the habit of clicking on it any time I change my party, just to prevent stuff like this from happening.

• Like 1

For me, seems like the trigger is when I recruit/dismiss a character. I guess the game doesn't re-apply the formation in that case and they get some sort of default position.

Thanks for the workaround! This is still open in 1.0.6.0617 -steam (save and screenshots). I had swapped in 2 party members in Caed Nua also, and Sagani/Ituumak are one of the active party before the swap.