What exactly does Flail do? And is Aumaua +1 weapon slot of any use?

Most of the real threats in the game seem to be ranged

not my experience.

only times any of my characters got close to unconscious on hard mode, it was because of melee attackers.  early on phantoms, ogres and the ocasional uber kith, later on high level fampyrs and things like... dragons.  I can't recall any time my characters were getting a lot of damage from physical ranged attackers.  oh, and traps.  got knocked out by traps a couple of times.

Wasn't talking about physical ranged attackers. Was talking about "distant enemies" that target deflection or reflex with spells and debuffs.

I find that the best way to deal with those is to get them into melee range, though.

Moreover, on characters for whom deflection matters, Reflex tends to be sky-high due to shields.

Not saying Wood Elves are useless at melee range, but ... I dunno, if you're looking to go defensive, Pale Elf is probably better.

I was only arguing that they're not useless. They're better tanks than humans and dwarves, for instance. They might be comparable to Pale Elf though because a graze at normal DR might be better than a hit at +10 DR, and a miss is a miss (considering most fire and ice attacks are from distant enemies and are usually fended by Reflex).

Kind of disagree with you here, Dwarves have a innate bonus to poison and disease, which can be a bitch in a lot of instances.

Those are a lot more situational than getting pelted from range by deflection or reflex fended attacks, though, IMO. Also, defensively, +1 Perception is better than +1 Con.

While I do not disagree, it should be noted that +1 Perception is only better than +1 Constitution if you actually plan to fully max out Perception, otherwise it's just a free point to redistribute, same as any other Attribute. And you only want to max Perception if you're going to tank.

So if you are going for melee DPS, it doesn't matter in the least.

Of course, I was just talking about tanking though. I think we can all agree for melee DPS, unless you're planning on being a hybrid blunderbuss/dual wield rogue, you're better off not using a Wood Elf. Hell, even with a Blunderbuss/Dual wield hybrid rogue, you're probably better off choosing something else, lmao

• Like 1

The advantage of Dwarves isn't their +1 Con, but rather, their -1 Dex. You can drop Dex to 2 with a dwarf tank, for an extra attribute point in something else.

Not the greatest benefit in the universe, but not insubstantial.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I like dwarves first off because they are dwarves and second for the +2 might, +3 with the Living Lands Origin for a 21 might to start. The poison and disease resist is ok, the +15 acc vs wilders and primordial is pretty good as there are a lot of them and +15 acc makes short work of them.