will i be able to kill indiscriminately?

I don't understand people that want to kill everyone they meet in a CRPG. No one would last long in real life if they slaughtered everyone they meet and while yes there are psychos and serial killers IRL there tends to be some subtlety to their madness.

My idea of an evil character is not someone who slaughters everyone he meets but someone that callously manipulates and uses others for his own ends. I think the kind of guy that could dupe a paladin into killing a troublesome innocent for him is far more evil than someone who just kills everyone he meets.

I have no problems at all if the designers build into a game suitable punishments for characters on a rampage, although picking a guy's pocket and having an entire city turn against you is a bit rich too.

Actually it still likely is.  The NWN tools they use are the same ones that you get when you buy Never Winter.  I'm sure there are some big improvements that were made for the tool set for KoToR, but the basic principals for their file structure hasn't changed.  It make perfect sense that there are similar tools, infact that is part of what Obsidian licenced.

You're missing the point.

The engine problem isn't that the KotOR non-hostile NPCs are plot-flagged (though I presume they are, or they could be killed by grenades). The problem is that there's no way to target a non-hostile creature, so there's no way to start a battle with them. That's why you need new interface functionality.

You could add a dialog that turns the NPC hostile. But you'd have to add that for all the NPCs, even those who only have one-liners currently - unless they turn the whole planet hostile the moment you kill any innocent NPC.

A lot of work for something fairly worthless. I didn't see how the Morrowind method added anything to gameplay. OK, I can kill anybody. Then I get to reload. Whee.

Arcanum's system is better, but I still don't see that as being a really useful feature. Then again, I don't play psychopaths, so plotlines I'm never going to see are worthless from my standpoint. YMMV.

Isn't that exactly what would happen though, if you just attacked an innocent out of the blue on Taris? Or at least everyone in the area...probably not the entire planet...but the entire courtyard at least. :lol:

The funny thing is Gorian is killable. That old wizard that you get a scroll from as part of a fetch quest isn't. He'll rain down one hit kill call lighting while Gorian casts one hit kill lighting bolts. The easiest way to kill Gorian is to swarm him with creatures via Wand of Monster Summoning. If you kill him you can't leave Candle Keep though so you wouldn't be able to complete the rest of the game.

That works on Drizzt too. But how do you get the Wand in the prologue? Pickpocket it off of someone?

All creatures are clickable, in case you haven't noticed. However, the click produces different results depending on the faction of the creature. Hostile, and the click means an attack. Nonhostile, and the click means an attempt to communicate.

How do you propose to tell the game whether you're trying to talk to someone, or trying to kill him? Through dialogs on every creature? Option 1= "Hi there", Option 2= "I'm going to kill you". That's what you'd have to do.

I mentioned this in the post you quote, which you seem to have quoted without reading.

@triCritical -- should have been more specific. Killing Gorion wouldn't have broken the BG1 plot. It sure will break the game. But come to think of it, even someone who wants to kill Gorion would want to wait until outside of Candlekeep, so it's really just a question of Sarevok stealing your kill.

All creatures are clickable, in case you haven't noticed. However, the click produces different results depending on the faction of the creature. Hostile, and the click means an attack. Nonhostile, and the click means an attempt to communicate.

How do you propose to tell the game whether you're trying to talk to someone, or trying to kill him? Through dialogs on every creature? Option 1= "Hi there", Option 2= "I'm going to kill you". That's what you'd have to do.

I mentioned this in the post you quote, which you seem to have quoted without reading.

@triCritical -- should have been more specific. Killing Gorion wouldn't have broken the BG1 plot. It sure will break the game. But come to think of it, even someone who wants to kill Gorion would want to wait until outside of Candlekeep, so it's really just a question of Sarevok stealing your kill.

I'm sorry I admit I misunderstood what you were saying. Still KoToR already has it's version of the radial menu. Don't make the default attackable but leave the option to attack on the radial menu. There's no reason why would have to add "I want to kill you" dialog.