GetThreadContext failed

Koth

Question

Hi There, Upon starting the game I regularly (but not always - usually 50% of the time) get a game crash that occurs after the screen goes black and the obsidian logo / kickstarter splash screens occur but prior to the starting menu... A dialog appears with something like Fatal error in GC with a message that reads something like "GetThreadContext failed.". An additional message appears listing a folder name near the executable with a statement saying "It would be great if you could submit this folder to a developer of the game." or something like that. Is there anywhere I can submit this folder?

Relevant Details:

PC: i7 4790K, Ram: 16gb DDR3, Gfx: EVGA GTX 980. 

Client: Steam, although the steam folder is not in the default location of C:\Program Files. Instead I've moved it to C:\Games\Steam - Not sure if this detail is pertinent, but here for the sake of clarity.

Anti-Virus: ESET anti-virus. I tried disabling this and the same error occurs regardless.

Yes, I've done forum searches and read about the UNCL.ttf font fix for this error, but my system does not contain this file to remove. So basically, what do I do about this? Should I zip and e-mail this crash folder to someone? if so, to whom?

Regards,

Koth

11 answers to this question

Any devs have any feedback... even if its to tell me screw you hippie?

Also forgot to mention, that this ONLY started happening for me since patch 1.03... never prior to this patch.

Edited by Koth

Check the folder - it should contain a text file with the full error and an output_log.txt. These may offer some idea of the underlying cause but that error suggests a permissions issue. Running PoE as administrator might be worth trying if you haven't already done so.

Can try this yes, little strange if running as administrator is the sole cause of this issue however, otherwise I'm sure there would be a lot more people than me complaining about the issue, but I'll give it a crack. 

Also... What leads you to believe this is a permissions issue... to me the "Fatal Error in GC" message I think has to do with Garbage Collection... aka memory issue if anything.

Edited by Koth

I don't, I just wait during opening intros till the steam overlay load and game switches to main manu by itself. Whenever I click during this initialization it crashes otherwise.

Of course, you can try to run the game in windowed mode or turn steam overlay off.