Any plans to fix pathing?

Nerkoon

Question

In gaming community where I usually play MMOs etc. games everyone seems to agree that pathing is by far the worst problem in Pillars of Eternity.

It is actually so bad that mercs you have hired get stuck in your fortress walking against walls forever, your group members get stuck in taverns and I do not even want to start with combat where quality of pathing makes me want to cry.

In many cases pathing code is unable to decided which route it should be using which usually results your character walking back and forth endlessly instead of going where you told it to go. Or it just gets stuck somewhere and keeps trying impossible path forever. In combat pathing gets even weirder because gaps between characters are no longer wide enough for pathing code even though you can move your characters through them when combat is over.

All in all Pillars of Eternity would be much better game if pathing could would really work as expected or as it is supposed to work.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

i dont think pathfinding is the problem, would like it more if my party would actually walk in formation.. even over a longer distance... for what else are these formations if they just start walking in a single line after 5 meters

EDIT: But yeah it needs much micromanagement in combat, that I experienced too.

Edited by Xelo

I agree ... it leaves much to be desired.

The fan boys like it, because for them it belongs to the nostalgia. :-

I have played many of those old classics like Icewind Dale I & II, but I do not recall pathing being this bad in them. Combat AI has always been pretty bad in games like this, but pathing has worked more or less correctly.

i dont think pathfinding is the problem, would like it more if my party would actually walk in formation.. even over a longer distance... for what else are these formations if they just start walking in a single line after 5 meters

The way I think about it is that line is easier to path through bottle necks in maps and places, so it could be an intentional way to make pathing easier. But you are right, usually it ends so that my casters get sky dropped on them by enemy mages thanks to fact that they somehow almost always end up to front of that line and thus become first targets.

Usually it's just a minor nuisance. Where it becomes an annoyance is with assigning characters an opponent to attack, then having the character take the long way completely around the battlefield in order to reach the target, passing through multiple engagement zones in the process. It has proven less of a problem when I switch to a three melee/three ranged attack formation.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."