CHEAT CODES - voice your opinion

I don't that was a completely unofficial opinion. Why don't you go ask it in the Ask the Devs thread that's STICKIED AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM!!! :)

I do however have a fair idea of what goes into programming that sort of thing, and know by the way the cheat codes for PC were designed, that they were actual names that the game recognized the items by, take a look at them for yourself, bottom of my sig. Depending on how hard it is to program the console in, it shouldn't really be that hard. Especially depending on whether or not the consoles that all modern games seem to use for cheats, that you have to do some script editing yourself to enable in many of them....seem to be a remnant of fine tuning the development. :) I am almost certain that there WILL BE CHEAT CODES, as certain as someone on the outside can be. ;) And if you read my above post, I would be extremely pleased if there was an item or two like the Massassi Battlestaff in the original, that could only be accessed with cheats. An easter egg if you will...sort of. ;)

I think I'm begining to understand your point of view :)

<edit: that was to Servant of Eru and I guess by extension Nartwak>

Thanks AlanC9 for the extra clarification :)

Yes, I can understand that sentiment perfectly Darque :) , but I think it's a moot point. From my limited understanding console commands are usually leftover debug commands. (Especially in the case of the PC title.) It would take more work to remove/disable them.

Unless you're a developer, or have a background in game programing, I'm afraid I can't take your word on it

Sensible enough. I don't really know what I'm talking about. <_<

Wheeeee! You just explained what i was trying to in less words than I did in my post afterwards, and with correct terminology. Your post gets the JT seal of approval. :)

My impression is that most developers put in some kind of cheat to aid in debugging stuff. So it's just a question of making them avaialable to the players

Hehehehe, or in the case of the codes in my sig for the first one, a fan with alot of time on their hands trying out every one and seeing what it does. Is my sig still to small?!! Is no one seeing ti. :)

i hope they dont add cheats, whats the point of playing if your invinsible, have all the weapons, money, armour, whatever.

Maybe... enjoying yourself?

enjoying yourself? wheres the enjoyment? you cant beat a game cause your not smart enough, or dont have a common sence, so you enter a code to walk through walls. if i do remember, i find enjoyment in a challenge.

i bet your one of those guys in JKA who says "How do you do god mode?"

then someone replies "/disco" then you realize you were disconnected and return and ask him again and you fall for it again :)

i hope they dont add cheats, whats the point of playing if your invinsible, have all the weapons, money, armour, whatever.

Maybe... enjoying yourself?

enjoying yourself? wheres the enjoyment? you cant beat a game cause your not smart enough, or dont have a common sence, so you enter a code to walk through walls. if i do remember, i find enjoyment in a challenge.

i bet your one of those guys in JKA who says "How do you do god mode?"

then someone replies "/disco" then you realize you were disconnected and return and ask him again and you fall for it again :)

How many times do I have to repeat that cheat codes, especially hidden items such as the Massassi Battlestaff extend the replayability of a game. It is possible to enjoy the challenge of it the first couple of times through, and then the fun of doing crazy stuff with the cheat codes the next few times you play it. With all the stuff they're saying's gonna be in KotOR 2 though, I imagine I'll be able to play it through at least eight or so times before it gets old and I want to bring in the cheat codes for refreshment. Gosh! You'd think that using cheats after you'd beaten ordinarily until it got boring was a cardinal sin or something from the way you people describe it. :)

My impression is that most developers put in some kind of cheat to aid in debugging stuff. So it's just a question of making them avaialable to the players

Yeah, basically.

Almost all of the PC cheats were just debugging commands that were made available in the release version.

Some cheats are just bugs too though. Oversights in scripting or dialog design that players can use to pump up alighment, money, XP, etc. Those kind of cheats tend to go away with patching. I abused the money dialog cheat in the release version of Morrowind, myself.

There is a freelook cheat for the X-Box version of KotOR1 that's fun to use to check out the entire level from any angle. It's an example of a code specifically put into the game for the end-user. The code that enables it actually only gets compiled into the Release build.

I'll dig up the code for that cheat tomorrow. I've seen it mentioned on a few KotOR1 code listings, but they always have it wrong by one button so it doesn't actually work. Not sure how that happened. <_<

Generally speaking, cheat codes don't take a lot of time to implement. But since they're almost never part of the design documents, they tend to make their way in when some programmer has too much time on their hands (and when does THAT ever happen :lol: ). The freelook camera one, for example, was actually disguised to look like something else in the code. The programmer at Bioware that put it in must not've wanted other programmers to even notice it. :)

-Akari

I abused the money dialog cheat in the release version of Morrowind, myself.

Only fair given the fact merchants never had more than like 5g and some items could be more than 100g.